Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
May 8, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #23,506 of 33,689
The Slater's mod is more efficient but if you aren't up to open the nozzle grill you can try micropore tape instead for a similar effect, like in this example:

Last time i opened the grill it was on the Xiaomi piston fresh.
I've never managed to put the grill on again.. :frowning2:

Micropore tape is like chirurgic tape used in the hospitals?

Yes! I've been using the 3M micropore and it works like charm for taming sibilant treble peaks.

Yeah, if you’re the type of person that has 10 thumbs, then I would stick to the 3M micropore method.

Be aware that there’s 3M Micropore and 3M Transpore tape.

3M Micropore is a white ‘paper’ tape that is porous and made up of random strands of fibers. That’s the one you want.

Here’s a closeup of Micropore paper tape:

10DD469C-1CA9-4DFD-8D6C-BF78B59BC200.jpeg

3M Transpore tape is a translucent clear ‘plastic’ tape, with a grid of uniform holes punched in it. That’s not the one you want. Transpore tape can be used for other mods, but not in this case.

Here’s a closeup of Transpore tape. See the grid of tiny pin holes?

BFD14F5D-4E4D-4FBB-88CD-2FE2B36862FE.jpeg

You can buy both everywhere - at Walmart, you local drug store, local hospital or health clinic, local health co-op, Amazon, Aliexpress, etc. It’s very cheap. You may see it referred to by the medical community as the generic/slang terms of “paper tape” and “plastic tape”.

If you know anyone who works in the medical field (like a doctor, nurse, medical assistant, veterinarian, etc), they’ll have dozens and dozens of partially used up rolls laying around everywhere which they’ll happily give you for free if you nicely ask. Especially if you say you don’t care what width take they give you, how beat up the roll is, or how much is left on the roll.

For modding, you only need extremely tiny strips. So even a roll of tape that’s mostly used up when you get it, can last you years. I have a number of rolls with plenty of tape left for modding, which I got for free.

Last edited:
May 8, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #23,509 of 33,689
They look lovely..what are they?

Bet they are finger print collectors.
that is NICEHCK F3, extremely technical performers, very different from other hybrids, no boosted bass here, the fans of Etymotic ER4S will love them, i will listen a little bit more before my first impressions

May 8, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #23,512 of 33,689
OK first impressions of the NICEHCK F3 - the bass is very flat, there is no boost anywhere, the bass is so fast and tight that it sound like BA bass with one very important difference, you will get all the texture and details that a good DD bass is famous for, lower mids are flat as a board, there is no warmth or thickness, upper mids are forward (think Ety ER4S) extremely clean sounding, never heard anything like it, maybe Ortofon Q5 but cleaner, treble have some brightness, again extremely clean and realistic, very high quality treble, the imaging is razor sharp and precise, the soundstage is wide similar to Kanas Pro, detail retrieval - over the top, i have to make comparison with the ER4S later, it will show you every flaw from a bad recording, every note of overcooked bass, every note of compressed dirty sounding treble, with good recording you will be rewarded with incredible amount of details
that is a new tuning for hybrid, most of them are forced, boosted in the bass and treble, here is something different and rare, i hope that more chi fi will take that direction
that is it for now

Last edited:
May 8, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #23,513 of 33,689
[...]Be aware that there’s 3M Micropore and 3M Transpore tape.

Another one to watch our for is 3M's Durapore tape. I forget what the doctor's office called it when they gave me what was left of a roll. It's different from Micropore and Transpore.

May 8, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #23,514 of 33,689
OK first impressions of the NICEHCK F3 - the bass is very flat, there is no boost anywhere, the bass is so fast and tight that it sound like BA bass with one very important difference, you will get all the texture and details that a good DD bass is famous for, lower mids are flat as a board, there is no warmth or thickness, upper mids are forward (think Ety ER4S) extremely clean sounding, never heard anything like it, maybe Ortofon Q5 but cleaner, treble have some brightness, again extremely clean and realistic, very high quality treble, the imaging is razor sharp and precise, the soundstage is wide similar to Kanas Pro, detail retrieval - over the top, i have to make comparison with the ER4S later, it will show you every flaw from a bad recording, every note of overcooked bass, every note of compressed dirty sounding treble, with good recording you will be rewarded with incredible amount of details
that is a new tuning for hybrid, most of them are forced, boosted in the bass and treble, here is something different and rare, i hope that more chi fi will take that direction
that is it for now
This sounds right up my alley. Thanks a lot!! Was trying to scale back....

May 9, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #23,516 of 33,689
Just got JVC FD7 (technically an Asian brand :wink:. They're decently competent, could sound surprisingly refined given their price but only when the track doesn't have a lot of high energy in it, kinda goes out of windows then lol. Will give it a bit more time, but currently they're about on the same playing field with Moondrop Aria at least.

May 9, 2019 at 12:59 AM Post #23,517 of 33,689
that is it for now
How about sub-bass roll-off?
These instantly remind me my ultra-wide bore HS930i tips I use with IT01.

May 9, 2019 at 2:03 AM Post #23,519 of 33,689
May 9, 2019 at 2:18 AM Post #23,520 of 33,689
they have no roll of, just not a lot of bass
Have graph to confirm that? I doubt it having NO roll-off in sub-bass, especially being planar @ low-end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back