Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
May 1, 2019 at 2:42 AM Post #23,341 of 33,689
Glad you got it sorted friend.

The KSC75 are classics. You made a great choice with them. You can even do a headband mod using the $3 headphones from Parts Express.

And be sure to let us know what you think of the IM1s when they arrive :)

You didn’t get one of the IM1 colors with the brushed metal faceplate did you? Because that one had a problem with the face plate coming loose. They fixed the issue, and the revised models all have no metal faceplate (ie all black, transparent blue, etc).
The latter revised models you describe, with no faceplate, are the ‘pro’ models.

May 1, 2019 at 2:48 AM Post #23,342 of 33,689
The latter revised models you describe, with no faceplate, are the ‘pro’ models.

Nice.

Pro means parts not falling off. Yes, that would make sense!

Thanks for the info. I was wondering what the Pro was.

May 1, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #23,343 of 33,689
Nice.

Pro means parts not falling off. Yes, that would make sense!

Thanks for the info. I was wondering what the Pro was.
I hope you’re not suggesting that they’re trying to pull the wool over our eyes. Surely.

May 1, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #23,344 of 33,689
I step away for a few days and suddenly a Toneking Nine Tail discussion pops up! While I was away my own Nine Tail arrived from the Ali Anniversary sale. All I can say is WOW!

When I was a younger man, I used to obsess about stereo gear so I know when something sounds "right". As you can see in my signature, I have been around the cheaper end of the Chi-fi spectrum with some reasonable choices (in bold). The Nine Tails are the most expensive IEMs that I have bought (even though some others have higher list prices; KEF, I'm looking at you!).

The sound from the Nine Tails is simply amazing to me. With all my other IEMs I could find faults in the music that I know. For instance, most of my IEMs cannot reproduce Jeff Buckley's version of Hallelujah, around the 2-minute mark, without sibilance/distortion. The Nine Tails cruise right past that point without any issues. Another test track that I use is the opening of Born in the USA. The Phil Spector "wall of sound" that Bruce uses is very tough on most IEMs they tend to congest the sound and can't get the correct impact of the kick drums. The Nine Tails faithfully reproduces that opening with nice, clear separation and drum impact. Another "wall of sound" test track that they nail is the opening of "When you were young" by The Killers. Most of my other IEMs turn that one into a muddled mess. The Nine Tail makes "Jeep's Blues" from Jazz at the Pawnshop sound like you are sitting right there at a table listing to the music. If I close my eyes I can almost smell the smoke, and the sound of bottles makes me want a cold one!

I am not a reviewer, so I can't tell you specifically how the Bass, Mids and Highs sound. All I can say is that I all of a sudden felt like I was back in college listening to some of my friends' insanely expensive stereo systems with a grin on my face. For reference, they also stack up very well against my Fidelio X2HRs.

I clearly like the Nine Tails, But I learned the hard way that they are not for carrying around, dangling from your collar. in less than a week, I have lost one silver and one blue endcap filter. So I'm left with only one matching red pair :triportsad: Now they are only for using around the house, with filters tightly screwed on.
What a shame. You have to take a certain amount of care when variable filters are involved. I'm not sure if you'd be able to find a set of replacement filters but I'd say your best chance would be Penon Audio. If you're interested you could try sending them an email.

May 1, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #23,346 of 33,689
My take on the BQEYZ BQ3 is up.

TripInTrance BQ3.jpg

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/bqeyz-bq3.23453/

May 1, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #23,347 of 33,689
Last edited:
May 1, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #23,349 of 33,689
Any word on TRN X6 and its sound anyone?

That gentleman who tunes for them (TRN) can he tell us if any tuning changes happened to IM1 PRO or is it strictly new design/construction?

May 1, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #23,350 of 33,689
What a shame. You have to take a certain amount of care when variable filters are involved. I'm not sure if you'd be able to find a set of replacement filters but I'd say your best chance would be Penon Audio. If you're interested you could try sending them an email.

That’s a shame, losing them. Maybe you can find some replacements. But which combination filters did you find gave you your best sound sig?

I was really upset that I lost 2 of the 6 the (back) filters for my Toneking Nine Tail. It happened so soon after I got them that I didn't get a chance to carefully compare their differences in sound. My understanding is that it is pretty subtle. The good news is that no matter what filter I have used, the sound has been great. It is amazing what a single dynamic driver can deliver,

May 1, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #23,351 of 33,689
@HungryPanda how's the F3 treating you?
@peter123 **** behaving well?

Yes very, I should be careful with too bold statements this early but they're definitely one of the better budget offerings I've heard so far. At this time I could honestly hype them a lot more than that but I haven't tried them with too many sources or done any direct comparisons yet so I'd better not say more than that even if these would've costed $100 I wouldn't be disappointed.

These are also a very nice budget set, Venture Electronics Bonus In Ear:

20190501_120758.jpg

May 1, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #23,352 of 33,689
May 1, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #23,353 of 33,689
I was really upset that I lost 2 of the 6 the (back) filters for my Toneking Nine Tail. It happened so soon after I got them that I didn't get a chance to carefully compare their differences in sound. My understanding is that it is pretty subtle. The good news is that no matter what filter I have used, the sound has been great. It is amazing what a single dynamic driver can deliver,

People have said that the rear filter differences are very subtle. At least you have a matching pair and the red looks nice. You should notice changes when you swap the front nozzles so you still have three choices for sound signature. I like them all as well but ended up sticking with silver/ silver. I know there is at least one user who likes red/ red for the most bass.

I don't feel like my rear filters will randomly fall off though.

May 1, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #23,354 of 33,689
People have said that the rear filter differences are very subtle. At least you have a matching pair and the red looks nice. You should notice changes when you swap the front nozzles so you still have three choices for sound signature. I like them all as well but ended up sticking with silver/ silver. I know there is at least one user who likes red/ red for the most bass.

I don't feel like my rear filters will randomly fall off though.
Silver/silver is OK but I do find it a little on the cold side for me. Silver rear and red front nozzle I find gives a really sweet sound with some artists and does bring a pleasant bass thump, which seems to be missing on the silver/silver combi. But, hey, we all hear differently. They are lovely - and yes, I don't feel the rear filters would fall off randomly either...but perhaps if you forget to screw in tight after changing them...who knows.

May 1, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #23,355 of 33,689
Silver/silver is OK but I do find it a little on the cold side for me. Silver rear and red front nozzle I find gives a really sweet sound with some artists and does bring a pleasant bass thump, which seems to be missing on the silver/silver combi. But, hey, we all hear differently. They are lovely - and yes, I don't feel the rear filters would fall off randomly either...but perhaps if you forget to screw in tight after changing them...who knows.

Tips of course affect the sound possibly just as much. I am getting plenty of bass with my Nine Tail. Red front was too much for me but I could try again.... or just change the rear to red for a bit of color and a bit of bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back