Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Feb 12, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #22,036 of 33,689
I signed on to share my new cable story with C16s also...its Wild isn’t it! I have been using a sample of a cable my old friend Alex sent me from Wywires. The low end I’m hearing now on many tunes wasn’t there before. Its like suddenly I unlocked a section of the recordingthat couldn’t be accessed before now. I stayed up all night checking what my music library has been unlocked to play..lol. So the C16 with a good cable rocks and if you add a mobile amp/dac it really lifts it all again.
Awhile back I jokingly said,”I’m putting an expensive cable with my incoming C16s and try to levitate!”....adding my ibasso D14 has amped my experience up to ridiculous levels and levitation might be closer then I think.

Do all you guys run an additional amp when using a dap with iems? If so man-o man I totally missed that bus! The difference in most cases is totally worth the time and stack room to me...amazing. I’m overjoyed with this sound and cable and setup, crazy good!
I use a Fiio A5 amplifier with my DAP, via line out. The C16 really comes alive with a bit of power.

Feb 12, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #22,037 of 33,689
I use a Fiio A5 amplifier with my DAP, via line out. The C16 really comes alive with a bit of power.

I have an old Fiio A11 or whatever it is, discontinued I believe..very dark. This D14 sounds great and has a Sabre DAC if you ever need it for both duties. Enjoy Nimweth....hey the C16 is way better than we all thought isn’t it?

Feb 12, 2019 at 7:14 AM Post #22,038 of 33,689
I just switched the cable on my CCA C16 with the nice cable that came with the Kanas Pro....oh my f*cki*g God! Soundstage exploded and added more bass presence. These are my favorites by a mile!! Whoa!

How do you compare C16 with Kanas pro?

Feb 12, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #22,040 of 33,689
It would work.
The 755 driver is 9mm, and the ATE/ATR is 8mm. You’d have to use a dremel and open the hole a little, which is very doable.
And CoiL has already proven that a mmcx is a drop-in replacement in that shell.
So yeah, totally doable!
Personally, I am thoroughly interested in the whole driver-swap conversation going on here when one considers the possibilities for transplanting the MH755 drivers and re-cabling a classic...if it's doable.
I recommend rather to go with ZS4 shells. Listening to it atm and really open, clear, detailed, balanced(even neutral?) sound but like with original shells (foams inside nozzle) they need tinybit taming with highs.
The great plus with ZS4 shells is sound isolation and simple swap to better 2-pin connection.
But for information, MH755 drivers bass slams really hard and quite detailed ...actually similar in that aspect as IT01 modded.
This is surprise to me. If I get the final tuning right (for my ears) then will try to do modding guide.
I just switched the cable on my CCA C16 with the nice cable that came with the Kanas Pro....oh my f*cki*g God! Soundstage exploded and added more bass presence. These are my favorites by a mile!! Whoa!
That`s because KP original cable is pretty high impedance around 0.8 Ohm and "smoothens out" treble.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #22,041 of 33,689
How do you compare C16 with Kanas pro?

Really hoping someone will do a proper review of the C16 soon. I want to see what the frenquency graph looks like. :)

Feb 12, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #22,042 of 33,689
I do not have any Moondrop products myself so I can’t help you guys there, but I did spend several hours yesterday listening to TRN IM-1s......mine are sounding very good after they did a few all nighters watching old cartoons.
I found some cool new stuff on Spotify listening to some playlists by genre stuff....I’m not sure if I’m an EDM, Psytrance, Trance, Ambient, Chill, Atmosphere, Dark Spy, etc..etc...But with the IM1S and that TRN bass I love I heard some low notes, pads that I’ve never heard before. The latest iem from trn goes low with the one dynamic and one BA configuration they have presented us with. Sparkly highs, piano, cymbals all very clear with no sibilance.
My personal rankings changed after yesterdays tour of tunes....1) CCA C-16 2) CCA C-10 3) TRN IM1

Edit: Changed Kansas to Moondrop...ty Coil

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #22,043 of 33,689
Feb 12, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #22,044 of 33,689
I have an old Fiio A11 or whatever it is, discontinued I believe..very dark. This D14 sounds great and has a Sabre DAC if you ever need it for both duties. Enjoy Nimweth....hey the C16 is way better than we all thought isn’t it?
Well, I wasn't sure what to expect, the C16 being the first all-BA design I have tried, but BA bass is really something special and the clarity and resolution are first class. Plus one from me!

Feb 12, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #22,045 of 33,689
I recommend rather to go with ZS4 shells. Listening to it atm and really open, clear, detailed, balanced(even neutral?) sound but like with original shells (foams inside nozzle) they need tinybit taming with highs.
The great plus with ZS4 shells is sound isolation and simple swap to better 2-pin connection.
But for information, MH755 drivers bass slams really hard and quite detailed ...actually similar in that aspect as IT01 modded.
This is surprise to me. If I get the final tuning right (for my ears) then will try to do modding guide.

I think I mentioned IT01 and MH755 had similar bass tunning to my ears and the MH755 vs IT01 is a hard decision to decide which one I like better. The IT01 just feels like a more premium product (fit, cable) but the sony has more presence in the treble. I remember when you were shocked and told me the IT01 has better tech...I see your shock is now redirected now that you own a pair of the MH755. The black mesh on the MH755 is vital to it's tuning though. I have been trying to see if the mesh can be used to tame other budget earphones, but so far it seems to really kill ~3Khz on the ones I tried.

ZS3 and ZS4 are the same shell right? I have some unused ZS3's...
The sony is incredibly easy to open up the shell, any good way to open the ZS3/ZS4 without mangling?

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #22,046 of 33,689
Just got my custom designed Tansio Mirai and they are amazing well worth the long wait. The colors I chose came out better than I thought they would.
Glad you are liking the TSMR 3. It is an easy recommendation at its price point due to its versatility. Enjoy! :)
For those who might be interested in the TSMR 3, here is my take on it, Tansio Mirai TSMR 3. Happy listening!

Feb 12, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #22,047 of 33,689
Well, I wasn't sure what to expect, the C16 being the first all-BA design I have tried, but BA bass is really something special and the clarity and resolution are first class. Plus one from me!

This is what many of us having been saying for a little while, now. It's fairly accurate and true to whatever recording you are listening to. If the bass footprint on a given track is either thick or thin the 22955 balanced armature delivers it faithfully without coloration. I am thoroughly impressed with how capable it is.

I’m not sure if I’m an EDM, Psytrance, Trance, Ambient, Chill, Atmosphere, Dark Spy, etc..etc...But with the IM1S and that TRN bass I love I heard some low notes, pads that I’ve never heard before. The latest iem from trn goes low with the one dynamic and one BA configuration they have presented us with. Sparkly highs, piano, cymbals all very clear with no sibilance.

Give your BA10 (and C16, I suppose) a brief listen and hear how well they handle highs, lows and mids for good electronica recordings (trance, progressive house, chill).

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #22,048 of 33,689
I think I mentioned IT01 and MH755 had similar bass tunning to my ears and the MH755 vs IT01 is a hard decision to decide which one I like better. The IT01 just feels like a more premium product (fit, cable) but the sony has more presence in the treble. I remember when you were shocked and told me the IT01 has better tech...I see your shock is now redirected now that you own a pair of the MH755. The black mesh on the MH755 is vital to it's tuning though. I have been trying to see if the mesh can be used to tame other budget earphones, but so far it seems to really kill ~3Khz on the ones I tried.

The sony is incredibly easy to open up the shell, any good way to open the ZS3/ZS4 without mangling?

The basic difference between the ZS3 and ZS4 is the nozzle.

On the ZS3, KZ glued a piece of crappy heat shrink tubing and used it as a “tube” to direct sound out to the ZS3’s output nozzle (which was molded into the shell).

On the ZS4, the nozzle is a separate piece. It’s a rigid plastic tube that the driver mounts into on the back (sealing it properly). Then the whole nozzle/tube/driver assembly is set into a holder molded into the shell.

You can see what I’m talking about in this view of the ZS4:

E5FC7350-0C58-4586-98BF-CAA3D0893F12.jpeg

Also, you’re right on those nylon fabric nozzle filters affecting ~3k. The similar filters used on KZ models (usually red) have been FR measured to filter about the same frequency range.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #22,049 of 33,689

I`m talking about modded IT01 vs. modded MH755 :wink: Modded IT01 "kills" MH755 in every way possible in SQ. Only plus from MH755 side is midrange littlebit more present due to more Harman Target aimed tuning.
But I`ll see what I can do about MH755 tuning inside ZS4 shells. I already have a tweak in mind. Btw, I`m using clean ZS4 nozzle without any grills or nylon mesh and I won`t use that nylon mesh for sure (and I don`t think 3kHz is problem with MH755, at least inside ZS4 shells).
ZS4 shells are better for that mod since it has removeable nozzles where to attach MH755 drivers. ZS3 doesn`t have that! ZS3 can be modded also but it is harder as You have to make Your own new nozzles to attach MH755 drivers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back