Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Sep 28, 2018 at 4:28 AM Post #18,526 of 33,689
I'd get something like these for cable-rolling though, lol

TB2FbSJEruWBuNjSszgXXb8jVXa_!!88221699.jpg

Sep 28, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #18,527 of 33,689
Anyone here can compare the ZS6 with the V80?
Really curious about it.

In any case, i have small ears but i'm just curious about this comparison.. i know kz zs6 is not the best for small ears, am i wrong?

I would really like to pick a zs6, just worried about the shape as my small ears already hurted wearing my old zs3
Is that a bad sign? Hahahah

I have Both, I really like the shape and comfort of the V80, they fit perfectly in my big ear and they stay in place even walking or lightly running.
I love the sound of the ZS6. Yes, sometimes is piercing, but the amount of details they provide in the trebles frequencies is impressive. you can feel every string and cymbals playing separately. Soundstage is also enormous imho. You just need to play a bit with the EQ because is not really good sounding just out of the box.. I was burning in, I was trying dozens of tips, looking for mods to soften the harsh trebles... and so on.. but after some time, I definitely love them. the piercing trebles are so much detailed in comparison to the V80 that, listening to the V80, sounds like all the trebles are confused and mixed together.. don't get me wrong, V80s are amazing iems, but if we're talking about a sound challenge, ZS6 are more detailed and clear.
What I actually like the most about the sound of the V80s is the bass and the mids. They are really well done, punchy when needed and nicely defined.

As a conclusion, IMHO, ZS6 shines in sound clarity, details, separation, soundstage. BTW the fit is tricky and sensible ears may find them harsh and piercing. (you still have awesome bass response)
V80s do not shine anywhere but they are overall awesome. good bass, good mids, good trebles. Comfort is top notch. just out of the box. cable is also slightly better (not a huge fan of the braided ones..)

I would honestly go for the V80s if you're worried about fit.
I would go for the ZS6 if you want to play with your iems and never get tired of them.

Personally, I listen to the ZS6 at home, on the sofa, with some good flac audio files. I use my V80 with bluetooth device, walking in the city, on public transport.

hope this helps.

Sep 28, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #18,528 of 33,689
Would you guys like it? (mmcx + 2pins)

Are these custom made by a modder, or from a company?

Is there any difference in the 2 interfaces? Like the 2-pin has an extra driver wired up vs the MMCX? Or is it simply to give the choice between using a 2-pin or MMCX cable?

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #18,529 of 33,689
Sep 28, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #18,530 of 33,689
Sep 28, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #18,531 of 33,689
^Says it comes with the earphones and tips. No mention of BT. It said "new IEM" "will only be making one color" that they had a vote for. Sounds like the upgrade version of the KB1. Penon sells the KB1 for $10 less. Hopefully Penon is not into scamming buy charging more for just a color change of an existing product while giving impression of a new and better sounding product even if it is only $10 difference. :)

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #18,532 of 33,689
^Says it comes with the earphones and tips. No mention of BT. It said "new IEM" "will only be making one color" that they had a vote for. Sounds like the upgrade version of the KB1. Penon sells the KB1 for $10 less. Hopefully Penon is not into scamming buy charging more for just a color change of an existing product while giving impression of a new and better sounding product even if it is only $10 difference. :)
There is a slight change in the faceplate design, which seems to be how they're doing everything at the moment. There is one OEM and several resellers are selling slight variations or the same thing at the moment (KB1, KB100, NY-06, KC2 etc)

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #18,533 of 33,689
I think I had asked for a graph accompanying that review in order to get the earphone's basic flavour. The general problem is that, once we go up in price, reviewers less likely have heard the competition...which is crucial for any review as comparisons validate an earphone. And, in this price category, anything sounds much better than our $50 fare...but does it sound good enough for the money?

One of these benchmarks should be the Ultimate Ears 900S ($399 list price). An aficionado reported that you need to spend 1000 - 2000 Euros to get a better sound. The UE900S can sometimes be found on massdrop for $179. It is a 2012 model last updated in 2014, looks cheap and unsexy, is built cheaply with simple looking cables, but it is wonderfully small and ergonomic and it sounds stellar. I bet ya that you won't find any Chifi iem for under $1000 beating it sound wise. I trust in Ultimate Ears to have the knowledge and experience to produce a better sounding earphone than any Chinese shop - in a comparable price range.

The audbos p4 review here on head fi, claims that they are better than the ue900s. It's our choice to belive it or not.
I bought the re-shell version of the audbos. The thenz p4 pro.

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #18,534 of 33,689
wrote my little write-up review & quick FR graph/measurements on the TRN V80: https://www.antdroid.net/2018/09/trn-v80-heavy-metal.html

The main points of the review:

Comparisons

Tin Audio T2
The T2 has a more analytical, colder sound to it. The bass sounds more linear on the T2 vs the V80, which has a more full and warmer sound to it. The T2 mids and lower treble are excellent for this price range and the V80 is nearly there. Where the V80 excels over the T2 is the extended treble, which gives the upper range frequency extra air and depth.

Tin Audio T2 Pro
The upcoming T2 Pro, again, is more colder sounding than the V80 and shares many of the same comparisons as the T2 vs V80. Where the T2 Pro differs is the upper treble extension. The T2 rolls off in this region, whereas the V80 does not. That said, the T2 Pro extends better with more air, depth, control, and details than the V80. The Pro is the head of the class for me for the budget IEM group.

MiniDSP IDF Compensated Comparison

KZ AS10
Spending a little bit more to get the AS10 over V80 will net you more bass and more mid-range and lower treble details. That said, the AS10 may sound muddy in comparison to the V80 because it has more pronounced bass. It’s usually not an issue on the AS10 but if you were to A-B back and forth, you may pick up on some of the upper bass overpowering the lower mids due to the AS10 having a slightly U-shape/recessed mids – where as the V80 has a more mid-forward presentation. The V80 has more air, though the AS10 is more in control in the mids and treble.

KZ ZSA/ZS6
I am grouping these together because, to me, they are similar in sound signature, with the ZS6 being more extreme on the low and upper ends of the spectrum than the ZSA. The KZ pair is more V-shaped, and with that you’ll have deeper, heavier bass, and harsher treble. It’ll give you a fun presentation vs the V80. I think in terms of technicality, the V80 wins. It is smoother all around and has good detail, even in comparison to the ZS6, which has good detail but too sibilant.

Overall
I found the TRN V80 a good IEM. It has some flaws in it, mainly due to some uneven sound in the mids. The neutral-warm sound is inviting and easy to enjoy though, as is the comfort and look. The package as a whole is a budget IEM that I find myself leaving in my ear for hours without any pain or significant issues in sound. I still find the T2 Pro a better option in this price point, but I’d take this V80 over anything that KZ offers today.
I agree with most of your comments but I have not noticed any problems with the mids as you have. The V80 is a very nice IEM, with a warmish neutral signature. I prefer this kind of presentation, at the moment I am listening to the Whizzer A15 pro but I had to do a few things to get them sounding right. I couldn't wear them over the ear as the earpieces kept falling out, so swapped the earpieces and cables and wear them cable down. I used a different cable as the supplied one was too loose. Finally I used Trinity Kombi tips and the sound is excellent with a cool neutral feel. The other IEMs I have with a neutral presentation are the Elecom CB1000, and again I changed the cables and use Kombi tips. These are probably my favorites at the moment.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #18,535 of 33,689
I agree with most of your comments but I have not noticed any problems with the mids as you have. The V80 is a very nice IEM, with a warmish neutral signature. I prefer this kind of presentation, at the moment I am listening to the Whizzer A15 pro but I had to do a few things to get them sounding right. I couldn't wear them over the ear as the earpieces kept falling out, so swapped the earpieces and cables and wear them cable down. I used a different cable as the supplied one was too loose. Finally I used Trinity Kombi tips and the sound is excellent with a cool neutral feel. The other IEMs I have with a neutral presentation are the Elecom CB1000, and again I changed the cables and use Kombi tips. These are probably my favorites at the moment.
The A15 is nowhere even close to neutral! The Kombi tips would make it more towards neutral than regular tips because they nerf the bass pretty hard so depending on what type of seal you're getting it might be starting to sound neutral :D

Sep 28, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #18,536 of 33,689
Are these custom made by a modder, or from a company?

Is there any difference in the 2 interfaces? Like the 2-pin has an extra driver wired up vs the MMCX? Or is it simply to give the choice between using a 2-pin or MMCX cable?

Haha it's made by a modder and AFAIK it's to give the choice between mmcx and 2-pin like "screw it I'm done".

Sep 28, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #18,537 of 33,689

It's usually just fine. It's just when you go back and forth between cheaper IEMs and higher end ones or over ears that you start to notice the small flaws here and there.

I also did a lot of back and forth listening between the ones listed and the DMG which I find very good.

I rank the V80 #2 behind T2 Pro for the budget IEMs I have listened to. It's a little subjective of course because one is slightly cold and one is slightly warm but otherwise sound similar.

Sep 28, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #18,538 of 33,689
The A15 is nowhere even close to neutral! The Kombi tips would make it more towards neutral than regular tips because they nerf the bass pretty hard so depending on what type of seal you're getting it might be starting to sound neutral :D
I think you are referring to the original A15 rather than the A15 Haydn pro which is the one I have.

Sep 28, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #18,539 of 33,689
There is a slight change in the faceplate design, which seems to be how they're doing everything at the moment. There is one OEM and several resellers are selling slight variations or the same thing at the moment (KB1, KB100, NY-06, KC2 etc)

Then Penon is misleading cause just a color is not a new IEM. So, having the maker, I assume, post and start a poll for the color choice talking that it is both a new IEM and has the best sound quality under $50, beyond your imagination. It has been put into production and will be released in October and you can vote for color choice until the first week of October.

They outright said those statements so they planted it(if untrue) cause it is the Penon Facebook group. Obviously related, the post is on the 23rd and they show up for pre-order on Penon several days later.

Think you need to get one and compare to the KB1 and get to the bottom of the possible corruption :)

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #18,540 of 33,689
wrote my little write-up review & quick FR graph/measurements on the TRN V80: https://www.antdroid.net/2018/09/trn-v80-heavy-metal.html

The main points of the review:

Comparisons

Tin Audio T2
The T2 has a more analytical, colder sound to it. The bass sounds more linear on the T2 vs the V80, which has a more full and warmer sound to it. The T2 mids and lower treble are excellent for this price range and the V80 is nearly there. Where the V80 excels over the T2 is the extended treble, which gives the upper range frequency extra air and depth.

Tin Audio T2 Pro
The upcoming T2 Pro, again, is more colder sounding than the V80 and shares many of the same comparisons as the T2 vs V80. Where the T2 Pro differs is the upper treble extension. The T2 rolls off in this region, whereas the V80 does not. That said, the T2 Pro extends better with more air, depth, control, and details than the V80. The Pro is the head of the class for me for the budget IEM group.

MiniDSP IDF Compensated Comparison

KZ AS10
Spending a little bit more to get the AS10 over V80 will net you more bass and more mid-range and lower treble details. That said, the AS10 may sound muddy in comparison to the V80 because it has more pronounced bass. It’s usually not an issue on the AS10 but if you were to A-B back and forth, you may pick up on some of the upper bass overpowering the lower mids due to the AS10 having a slightly U-shape/recessed mids – where as the V80 has a more mid-forward presentation. The V80 has more air, though the AS10 is more in control in the mids and treble.

KZ ZSA/ZS6
I am grouping these together because, to me, they are similar in sound signature, with the ZS6 being more extreme on the low and upper ends of the spectrum than the ZSA. The KZ pair is more V-shaped, and with that you’ll have deeper, heavier bass, and harsher treble. It’ll give you a fun presentation vs the V80. I think in terms of technicality, the V80 wins. It is smoother all around and has good detail, even in comparison to the ZS6, which has good detail but too sibilant.

Overall
I found the TRN V80 a good IEM. It has some flaws in it, mainly due to some uneven sound in the mids. The neutral-warm sound is inviting and easy to enjoy though, as is the comfort and look. The package as a whole is a budget IEM that I find myself leaving in my ear for hours without any pain or significant issues in sound. I still find the T2 Pro a better option in this price point, but I’d take this V80 over anything that KZ offers today.

Great review, many thanks!

As mentioned earlier, I have just ordered the T2 Pro from Massdrop, but I'm also interested in a slightly warmer but still neutral sounding IEM. Your comparison of the KZ AS10 and TRN V80 is very helpful as these are the two I am most interested in.

I was probably leaning more towards the AS10 as they are the most different from the T2 Pros. However, since you have said they may sound a bit muddy compared to the V80 and that you would choose the V80 over any of the KZ IEMs, you have thrown me off a bit! Is the KZ AS10 really that muddy in comparison? Also if I'm looking for a warmer sound signature compared to the T2, would the AS10s not be the better option?

P.S. Just to let you know, I think you may have linked to the wrong item on Aliexpress in your review. Other than that, excellent work!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back