Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Sep 6, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #17,791 of 33,689
@crabdog @thejoker13 @Lurk650

Which filters do you use in your Toneking Nine Tails and why? There are no instructions explaining what each do. My Trinity Masters came with a chart explaining each.

Sep 6, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #17,793 of 33,689
Sep 6, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #17,794 of 33,689
I don't like bass boost. Shouldn't like the KZ AS10 accordingly.
The truth is, yes I do.
It's making so many things just right.
The sound improves with a silver plated cable to get more out of the early rolled off highs and make the signature leaner because it's so bold. Additionally wide bore tips to improve/boost furthermore the highs and mids. I use hard ball shaped wide bore foam tips not deep inserted (less bass) which works best for me with the KZ.

Sep 6, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #17,795 of 33,689
From memory I think silver is neutral, red is for more bass and the is other is less. Also, the rear filter didnt really change the sound at all for me

How do you know this?

A very helpful person posted measurements for each filter here:
https://primeaudio.org/toneking-nine-tail-mythological-audio/

I know but I did really understand them and they were kind of hard to read on the screen. A manual would have been nice. But my question really was me wanting to know what others who have them do like.

My brain relates to words better than it does to charts:)

Sep 6, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #17,796 of 33,689
How do you know this?

I know but I did really understand them and they were kind of hard to read on the screen. A manual would have been nice. But my question really was me wanting to know what others who have them do like.

My brain relates to words better than it does to charts:)

Makes sense. I like the blue-blue rear combo, which sounds very balanced and flat to me, with slightly lifted upper mids/lower treble. The blue rear also has the most linear bass and to me it sounds like the most relative sub-bass.

Sometimes, I swap out the rear filter for red, which gives a mid-bass boost to things and lowers the mids relatively. That makes things lusher and sweet in the mids. Almost a tube sound. The silver rear filter increases that effect a touch and lowers the mids relative to the bass.

The red nozzle filter lowers the upper mids and lower treble, making the overall sound warmer. Not unpleasant; I sometimes roll with that. Red-red is too dark for me though.

Silver nozzle filter ups that area the most, making things sound a touch bright, though not splashy or tizzy. Very clear sound. The blue rear/silver nozzle combo reminds me a lot of the King Pro, which is great, but I already have the King Pro.

Silver-silver is a classic V. Not my favorite. Mids are too recessed for my liking that way.

EDIT: Switched a few 'upper' and 'lowers' above. My bad.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #17,798 of 33,689
Thanks... so many choices... nine:) What tips are you using?

JVC Spiral Dots. The Nine Tail is slightly iffy on fit, because the nozzle is shortish and its at a dead right angle to the body of the IEM. Like me, you may have to go a size larger than usual.

Had to check my pair to remember the tips and turns out I'm using the blue rear/red nozzle combo, which is the flattest signature with the least bass. Still very pleasant, slightly warm, great mids, and detailed throughout the spectrum.

Sep 6, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #17,799 of 33,689
Oh, and I can tell you right now, the Nine Tail has much more effective filters than the Phantom Masters. With the latter, I could only find one option that I didn't think was too boomy or too V-shaped (green filter). With the Nine Tail, there are at least three combos that I would use frequently. In fact, I am tempted to buy a second pair to keep blue-blue and use the first for constant swapping. The filters actually do something to the sound! And it's something other than just carving that V deeper and deeper!

Sep 6, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #17,801 of 33,689
Oh, and I can tell you right now, the Nine Tail has much more effective filters than the Phantom Masters. With the latter, I could only find one option that I didn't think was too boomy or too V-shaped (green filter). With the Nine Tail, there are at least three combos that I would use frequently. In fact, I am tempted to buy a second pair to keep blue-blue and use the first for constant swapping. The filters actually do something to the sound! And it's something other than just carving that V deeper and deeper!

I am using the green filter with my Trinity but mine is the Trinity Audio Master not the Phantom Master.

I have only just begun with the Nine Tail.... I do not necessarily want the least bass. I want there to be enough bass when called for and for there to be actual sub bass. Just not boomy mid bass. I don't mind rolling off the treble a bit but I do like full mids which I assume is what I need for good vocals. If I am listening to a singer songwriter I do not want the band to be in front of him but I do want to hear everything.... so tell me what to start with... I have listened to a couple of albums so far with silver/silver thinking that maybe that was the standard.... but when it arrived it actually had a silver rear and a blue nozzle. Maybe I should have started with that?

Sep 6, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #17,802 of 33,689
I am using the green filter with my Trinity but mine is the Trinity Audio Master not the Phantom Master.

I have only just begun with the Nine Tail.... I do not necessarily want the least bass. I want there to be enough bass when called for and for there to be actual sub bass. Just not boomy mid bass. I don't mind rolling off the treble a bit but I do like full mids which I assume is what I need for good vocals. If I am listening to a singer songwriter I do not want the band to be in front of him but I do want to hear everything.... so tell me what to start with... I have listened to a couple of albums so far with silver/silver thinking that maybe that was the standard.... but when it arrived it actually had a silver rear and a blue nozzle. Maybe I should have started with that?

If it's the Trinity that's shaped like a TFZ, has carbon fiber scale, and has a cloth-covered cable, that is the Trinity Audio Phantom Master, then there is the Trinity Audio Phantom Master 4 that looks like a silver Magaosi K3 Pro. Unless you mean the Master 6... Well, anyway...

I think red rear/red nozzle might do it. Or blue rear/red nozzle for that extra relative sub-bass. These will never hit really hard, however. I think the resonating chamber on them softens the impact a bit in favor of longer and more natural decay.

Sep 6, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #17,803 of 33,689
Or blue rear/red nozzle for that extra relative sub-bass.

This is what I am using now... and with medium Auvio tips. Sounding good to me. I am surprised by how comfortable they are. The fit is easier than I thought it would be. I love the cable and in spite of a review that says otherwise there is a chin slider... maybe they added it?

@Nabillion_786 , if this combination did not satisfy your requirements I do not know what will. I still think that your source could be the problem. You keep asking over and over again in many different threads. I am not sure if anyone can help you. If the Queens don't do it when they arrive (I assume they are on the way), you need to have a rethink.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #17,804 of 33,689
This is what I am using now... and with medium Auvio tips. Sounding good to me.

@Nabillion_786 , if this combination did not satisfy your requirements I do not know what will. I still think that your source could be the problem. You keep asking over and over again in many different threads. I am not sure if anyone can help you. If the Queens don't do it when they arrive (I assume they are on the way), you need to have a rethink.
It's not my source because I went to the headphone store and tried there great source and even tried a portable amp which only made a slight difference in some iems. Fun fact, my kc09 sounded horrible on their source in comparison to my phone. Even the man at the store said that you have a decent enough to run iems.

I like to know 2 things if you don't mind. Which one do you prefer out of the it01 and the 9ts? And which one has the better mids of the 2 for you?

Sep 6, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #17,805 of 33,689
I like to know 2 things if you don't mind. Which one do you prefer out of the it01 and the 9ts? And which one has the better mids of the 2 for you?

There is no way I can answer that question at this time. I have only used these for two or three hours. They arrived this afternoon. I have so much gear that it has been awhile since I used my IT01. I have been enjoying buds quite a bit lately and finally the weather is cool enough for headphones.

Anyway, isn't that question irrelevant now? You have sent them both back.
Plus you have the Queen coming ... is that correct? Also you said you did buy the Artiste DC1 which is an excellent IEM and I would have thought that would satisfy you.

Actually my answer to a question like that is "whichever one is currently in my ears." :)

Plus, don't forget I have never ever watched a movie or a tv show using iems, buds, or even headphones. We have a 5.1 home theater setup for that. I only use these things for music. So, if movies are your main use then I am probably the wrong person to advise you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back