Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jun 30, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #16,291 of 33,689
Jun 30, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #16,292 of 33,689
Guys i need some recommendations for wide bore tips please!!

Jun 30, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #16,293 of 33,689
Guys i need some recommendations for wide bore tips please!!

Tennmak Whirlwind/Turbo
KZ Whirlwind/Turbo
Auvio

Also, I believe it’s @DocHoliday who gets these nice smooth looking wide bore tips in different colors. I don’t know what they are from (Beats I think) or where he gets them.

Jun 30, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #16,294 of 33,689
Jun 30, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #16,295 of 33,689
Jun 30, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #16,296 of 33,689
I usually use NiceHCK.

Also HotFi is good if I’m not in a rush. Because despite them being legit they often take orders (at super low prices) without having stock. I do get the stuff eventually though.
I just realized I have never heard of Hot Fi. How was this possible?

Jul 1, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #16,297 of 33,689
Tennmak Whirlwind/Turbo
KZ Whirlwind/Turbo
Auvio

Also, I believe it’s @DocHoliday who gets these nice smooth looking wide bore tips in different colors. I don’t know what they are from (Beats I think) or where he gets them.
I am happy with these: 9 pairs in the size of my choice:
https://goo.gl/XRFoix

Jul 1, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #16,298 of 33,689
I've really enjoyed my time with the Dragon 2+ but not sure how many will be willing to spend that much!
https://primeaudio.org/simphonio-dragon-2/

Simphonio Dragon 2+ hanging2.jpg

Jul 1, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #16,299 of 33,689
I've really enjoyed my time with the Dragon 2+ but not sure how many will be willing to spend that much!
https://primeaudio.org/simphonio-dragon-2/

Hmm...I once had a "scramble" over pricey earbuds with our own, highly appreciated B9Scrambler. Although I have never listened to expensive earbuds, I don't trust them and am highly prejudiced. This may have marginally to do with a window-dressing company I don't trust (Venture Electronics) headed by an arrogant guy I don't trust. This company produces earbuds in all price categories and with all possible cable configurations...and you cannot distinguish optically or build wise, which model costs $300 and which costs $5.

And this "cheap plastic housings with fancy looking cables" arrangement appears to be a widespread tenor in the elevated earbud category.

One of these expensive VE buds had been compared to the Sennheiser HD600, a perennial favourite and headphone of monstrous dimensions, by one reviewer. According to the laws of physics, how can such a small earbud driver by such an "inexperienced" company compete with the mighty Sennheiser in terms of both sheer size (and also quality)?

The second issue is one of fit and efficiency: an earbud blows some of its sound not into one's ear canal but to bystanders...and the sound perception is much improved using the "Slater Squeeze"....according to which the buds are rotated by 90 degrees...that works betterl but still showers the other guys in church.

As to cheap earbuds: none of my ChiFi ones in the $10 range are any good (not even with the biggest imagination) and the KZ EDR1/2 are much superior sounding. My old Senns MX560 buds are also lightyears ahead.

The question is: am I doing expensive earbuds injustice are they snake oil?

And now, as unbiased as I am :), now I will read your review, dear crabdog...which will surely will be as accurate and informative as ever.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #16,300 of 33,689
The second issue is one of fit and efficiency: an earbud blows some of its sound not into one's ear canal but to bystanders...and the sound perception is much improved using the "Slater Squeeze"....according to which the buds are rotated by 90 degrees...that works well but still showers the other guys in church.

Now I am picturing you in church wearing a full sized closed headphone:)

BTW, I have several mid priced buds that I consider to be excellent. I also like my VE buds... Monk Plus, Monk Lite, Zen Lite. My Willsound MK1 rev2 is amazing. I have a Blur Black Panther on the way that I expect to be as good or better... and it has a smaller (probably more comfortable) shell. I was listening to one of my Monk Plus most of the day yesterday. Yes, I have more than one... there are many colors you know... or there used to be. Ear canals were a little irritated from spending time trying different tips on a few iems. Too hot here for headphones.

You should check out the earbuds roundup thread. Sometimes it is nice to not have tips stuck in the ear.

Jul 1, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #16,301 of 33,689
Hmm...I once had a "scramble" over pricey earbuds with our own, highly appreciated B9Scrambler. Although I have never listened to expensive earbuds, I don't trust them and am highly prejudiced. This may have marginally to do with a window-dressing company I don't trust (Venture Electronics) headed by an arrogant guy I don't trust. This company produces earbuds in all price categories and with all possible cable configurations...and you cannot distinguish optically or build wise, which model costs $300 and which costs $5.

And this "cheap plastic housings with fancy looking cables" arrangement appears to be a widespread tenor in the elevated earbud category.

One of these expensive VE buds had been compared to the Sennheiser HD600, a perennial favourite and headphone of monstrous dimensions, by one reviewer. According to the laws of physics, how can such a small earbud driver by such an "inexperienced" company compete with the mighty Sennheiser in terms of both sheer size (and also quality)?

The second issue is one of fit and efficiency: an earbud blows some of its sound not into one's ear canal but to bystanders...and the sound perception is much improved using the "Slater Squeeze"....according to which the buds are rotated by 90 degrees...that works betterl but still showers the other guys in church.

As to cheap earbuds: none of my ChiFi ones in the $10 range are any good (not even with the biggest imagination) and the KZ EDR1/2 are much superior sounding. My old Senns MX560 buds are also lightyears ahead.

The question is: am I doing expensive earbuds injustice are they snake oil?

And now, as unbiased as I am :), now I will read your review, dear crabdog...which will surely will be as accurate and informative as ever.
I dunno man. I also don't have a great deal of experience with earbuds but I can safely say the Dragon 2+ is a step up from all the others I've heard. I was having an amazing time with them last night - meant to listen to a couple of songs from the Slow Dance Society and ended up sitting through the whole album!

The comfort is okay for me but nothing special. Noise isolation is basically NONE but the payback is the huge soundstage you get in return.

Why the hefty price tag? I don't know to be honest. Who knows how these companies set their prices - based on R&D, materials and manufacturing costs or do they have a listen and say "crap these sound amazing. I think we can sell this for $300." Maybe one day I'll find out but I can only speculate for now.

Jul 1, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #16,302 of 33,689
I dunno man. I also don't have a great deal of experience with earbuds but I can safely say the Dragon 2+ is a step up from all the others I've heard. I was having an amazing time with them last night - meant to listen to a couple of songs from the Slow Dance Society and ended up sitting through the whole album!

The comfort is okay for me but nothing special. Noise isolation is basically NONE but the payback is the huge soundstage you get in return.

Why the hefty price tag? I don't know to be honest. Who knows how these companies set their prices - based on R&D, materials and manufacturing costs or do they have a listen and say "crap these sound amazing. I think we can sell this for $300." Maybe one day I'll find out but I can only speculate for now.
Yep, B9 pointed out to me that some of these may be "Boutique items" that have small runs and hefty R&D costs. I do understand when mbwilson sometimes prefers buds over deeply inserted tips....I love my apple buds for phone calls. The question is, what is the typical price of an earbud matching an iem sound wise. For example, how much do I have to spend on an earbud to get the sound quality of the ibasso IT01.

And why don't the big guys such as Sennheiser produce expensive buds...Sennheiser scaled theirs down quite a bit.

church.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #16,303 of 33,689
Yep, B9 pointed out to me that some of these may be "Boutique items" that have small runs and hefty R&D costs. I do understand when mbwilson sometimes prefers buds over deeply inserted tips....I love my apple buds for phone calls. The question is, what is the typical price of an earbud matching an iem sound wise. For example, how much do I have to spend on an earbud to get the sound quality of the ibasso IT01.

And why don't the big guys such as Sennheiser produce expensive buds...Sennheiser scaled theirs down quite a bit.

I don't recall having such a conversation. Sure you're thinking of the right person?

Imo buds are one of the best headphone styles. Best of both iems and headphones; compact and portable with a great sound stage. I just wish they had more variety in the housings and do something unique and different, like OURART did.

Jul 1, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #16,304 of 33,689
I don't recall having such a conversation. Sure you're thinking of the right person?

Imo buds are one of the best headphone styles. Best of both iems and headphones; compact and portable with a great sound stage. I just wish they had more variety in the housings and do something unique and different, like OURART did.
OK, what is the "must have" if one only goes for only premium earbud?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back