Chillout Reggae
Aug 4, 2008 at 8:11 AM Post #16 of 39
Thanks for the welcome! I've been DJ'ing salsa professionally for the last 8 years --currently using Ultrasone DJ 1 Pro-- but been listening to reggae since I was 13 (I'm now 33). I got my first taste freshman year of high school. There seems to be a huge following here in Honolulu so we have two stations playing reggae full time and a lot of big name reggae acts coming through. In concert I've seen UB40 twice, Steel Pulse, Aswad, Gregory Isaacs, Israel Vibration, Alpha Blondy, Inner Circle, Peter Tosh too many more to remember.

On a side note you can get a really nice variety of reggae from pandora.com

Aloha

DJ Rod

Aug 4, 2008 at 8:32 AM Post #17 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by salsadj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the welcome! I've been DJ'ing salsa professionally for the last 8 years --currently using Ultrasone DJ 1 Pro-- but been listening to reggae since I was 13 (I'm now 33). I got my first taste freshman year of high school. There seems to be a huge following here in Honolulu so we have two stations playing reggae full time and a lot of big name reggae acts coming through. In concert I've seen UB40 twice, Steel Pulse, Aswad, Gregory Isaacs, Israel Vibration, Alpha Blondy, Inner Circle, Peter Tosh too many more to remember.

On a side note you can get a really nice variety of reggae from pandora.com

Aloha

DJ Rod

I'll definitely check out pandora.com!

You should keep an eye out for Hawaii Head-Fi meet threads. We have several active members from the Islands, some of whom have some excellent headphone gear.

In fact, it looks like they've been trying to put a meet together for a couple of months now, but are still searching for a host. See here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f24/ic...i-meet-336093/

If nothing else, it would be cool if you could get together with a couple of the guys out there or at least become pals via our private messaging system.

As someone who has been working as a DJ, I suspect you would be quite pleasantly surprised at the quality of audio reproduction that a top notch headphone-based system can produce these days.

Aug 4, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #18 of 39
Thanks for the heads up on the Hawaii gang. Some more recommendations.

Dennis Brown - how could I forget!!!!
Ray Darwin
Ruddy Thomas - hard to find but worth it.

A great album worth the search, Reggae Greats: Strictly For Lovers

Enjoy

DJ Rod

Aug 4, 2008 at 9:10 AM Post #19 of 39
don't forget this classic
tongue.gif

Aug 4, 2008 at 12:46 PM Post #21 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On one occasion, I got to meet Beres Hammond. My former fiancee's best friend from her growing up years is his common law wife and mother of four of his children. We spent and entire day at his house in Stoney Hill. I didn't even know who he was at the time, but am now a big fan. I've got about a dozen of his albums.

I always think of Beres H as the Jamaican cross between Teddy Pendergrass and Maze's Frankie Beverly. I met Hammond once, too; here in NYC. Seemed like a really down-to-earth cat.

Nov 7, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #22 of 39
yeah mate how you do, if you havent tried it already, listen to some original dubwise, listen to stuff coming from the legendary inventor of dub, King tubbys, his understudy, Prince Jammy and and the Scientist, but for die hards, check out lee perry bulwackies, and observer, try those for now, those to choose from, if you want more in depth,saucyperila.hotmail.com. glad to help
happy_face1.gif

Jul 17, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #23 of 39
I've been listening to 70's roots reggae/dub for like +20 years or so...if I had to pick ONE cd, that'd be this one:

Amazon.com: Same Song/Unconquered People: Israel Vibration: Music

each song is perfect, and of course these are the dub versions...there's also the vocal cuts available, but these simply sound out of this world!

and I've recently discovered this one, which is made of rare 70's cut : Amazon.com: Earthquake Dub: Ossie Hibbert & The Revolutionaries: Music

the bass mixing is amazing on this one
smily_headphones1.gif

and this one has a pretty crazy King Tubby'esque sound : Joe Gibbs African Dub Chapter 3 CD

Jul 18, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #24 of 39
John Holt would be top of my list, also check Dennis Brown on the modern front, Vibronics are great, Alpha and Omega, Zion Train.

Sinead Oconnor did a great Reggae album about 3 years back.....no joke

Jul 18, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #25 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pablo Moses
A Song

Great suggestion, given what the OP is looking for. Or perhaps his 1983 album, In the Future -- the 1997 Night & Day reissue comes with a second dub disc, so it's particularly appropriate. What could be more chill than a Pablo Moses dub? Sadly, the only used copy on Amazon is going for $100 right now, but you might be able to find it cheaper on ebay. Of course, the cheapest used copy of A Song is going for $40 (a new copy is listed at $155). But those prices illustrate why we recommend these records. You absolutely will not be disappointed. Everyone I have played them for has fallen in love with them. Seriously.

If you don't want to go on a hunt, I would try Black Uhuru's Red or Guess Who's Coming to Dinner. Less chill though.

Jul 18, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #26 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by THAY BRAN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sinead Oconnor did a great Reggae album about 3 years back.....no joke

I thought she completely ruined all these classics...her covers of Vampire & Curly Locks(two big Lee Perry's hits) were unbearable..

Jul 18, 2009 at 9:52 AM Post #27 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You Must Buy This

Augustus Pablo - East of the River Nile

It is instrumental, he plays a harmonium- probably the only person in the world to make that "toy" such a beautiful, deep instrument.

I agree with you about Augustus Pablo; great musician! But I'm pretty sure you were referring to the melodica when you mentioned his signature instrument. It's a sort of hybrid wind/keyboard instrument. He does do great things with it.

The harmonium, on the other hand, is a small keyboard instrument that is often used in certain kinds of Indian music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back