Chillout Reggae
Jul 31, 2008 at 8:43 AM Post #3 of 39

salsadj

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 31, 2008
Posts
27
Likes
10
Love reggae, been listening to it for about 20 years. Good chill non-dancehall artists:

Modern:
Aswad
Glen Washinton
Fiji
Gyptian
Garnet Silk
Junior Reid
Lukie D
Lucky Dube
Steel Pulse
Morgan Heritage

Classic:
Beres Hammond
Barrington Levy
Don Carlos
Gregory Isaacs - especially the album Night Nurse
Bob Marley - of course
Cornell Cambell
Leroy Smart - especially a song called Pride and Ambition deep deep chill song

Kick butt songs - check these out on imeem

J Boog - Love Season
Pokahu - Just a Little Love

There is literally tons of good reggae, hope this helps

DJ Rod
 
Jul 31, 2008 at 9:36 AM Post #4 of 39

andyalfa

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 7, 2008
Posts
200
Likes
11
I don't know a lot about the newer stuff, but I love 70's reggae. One of my favourite albums (I played it on Tuesday in the UK heatwave, funnily enough) is a Various Artists compliation called Dub Chill Out featuriing remixes by Lee "Scratch" Perry, King Tubby etc. Well worth a listen. Other artists to check out would be Sly & Robbie, I-Roy, U-Roy, Black Uhuru, Big Youth, Peter Tosh, Prince Far I etc.

Man, I'm chillin' just writing this.

Here's a couple of links to CD's I'd recommend from my collection.

Dub Chill Out
Amazon.co.uk: Dub Chill Out: Various Artists: Music

Dread meets Punk Rockers Uptown (Don Letts collection)
Amazon.co.uk: Dread Meets Punk Rockers Uptown: the Soundtrack to London's Legendary Roxy Club December 1976-April 1977: Various Artists: Music

Classic Reggae, The Deejays
101CD.com: Classic Reggae (The Deejay's/The Best Of The Original 1970's Reggae DJs) - Compilations CDs - Free Delivery
 
Jul 31, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #5 of 39

tru blu

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 18, 2007
Posts
4,202
Likes
55
Get a Gregory Isaacs best-of.

Bunny Wailer
Blackheart Man
…sings the Wailers

Burning Spear
Harder Than The Best

Pablo Moses
A Song
 
Jul 31, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #6 of 39

ilikebananafudge

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 27, 2007
Posts
421
Likes
90
Location
New England
Hm, I should listen to more reggae. Makes you feel like you're one with the universe
smile.gif
 
Aug 1, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #8 of 39

rhythmdevils

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Posts
8,225
Likes
479
You Must Buy This

Augustus Pablo - East of the River Nile

It is instrumental, he plays a harmonium- probably the only person in the world to make that "toy" such a beautiful, deep instrument. Very relaxed, and easy to listen to, but it has incredible depth and soul to it.

Also, if you are going to buy a Burning Spear album, the ONLY one to get is "100th Anniversary" It has some of the same studio tracks as on Harder than the Rest, but it has more layers added onto it. It is literally as if they took the same songs, and sat down into the studio again, and added more layers, like more keyboards, percussion, etc. and it just grooves way harder.

Ahmen on the Bunny Wailer recomendation! yes
 
Aug 1, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #9 of 39

Ub3rMario

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 24, 2008
Posts
668
Likes
12
I dunno if this counts, but it's a newer group i like: Bedouin Soundclash. Very chill.
 
Aug 1, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #10 of 39

tru blu

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 18, 2007
Posts
4,202
Likes
55
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, if you are going to buy a Burning Spear album, the ONLY one to get is "100th Anniversary" It has some of the same studio tracks as on Harder than the Rest, but it has more layers added onto it. It is literally as if they took the same songs, and sat down into the studio again, and added more layers, like more keyboards, percussion, etc. and it just grooves way harder.


The record you're talking about is actually Marcus Garvey - 100th Anniversary, and the difference is that it includes the entire original album Marcus Garvey (fantastic!) as well as remixed (or "dub") versions of all the tracks (released as Garvey's Ghost). A few of the dub versions are on Harder Than The Best, which is a best-of that includes the pacifist song "Throw Down Your Arms" and "Man in the Hills." Both are sweet, but I think the best-of balances song with groove a bit better…no biggie. The Augustus Pablo disc you recommended is a bona fide landmark.
 
Aug 1, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #11 of 39

TimJo

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 29, 2008
Posts
1,129
Likes
10
For a current touring band that is very chill, check out Midnite. They are from St. Croix and have created quite a following. The lead singer Vaughn Benjamin has an amazing voice that is very soothing - it fits the definition of chill. The style is based in roots rock, but with a bit of a dub influence with the use of reverb and echo.
 
Aug 1, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #12 of 39

steviebee

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Posts
2,717
Likes
13
Mighty Diamonds -Right Time or Planet Earth

Yabby U & The Prophets - Beware

Sugar Minott - Black Roots
 
Aug 3, 2008 at 11:31 AM Post #13 of 39

suba3333

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 22, 2006
Posts
178
Likes
10
Funny....just a few minute ago I was browsing iTunes (UK) under iTunes Essentials...they have a reggae chillout compilation for your perusal.
 
Aug 4, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #14 of 39

rhythmdevils

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Posts
8,225
Likes
479
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The record you're talking about is actually Marcus Garvey - 100th Anniversary, and the difference is that it includes the entire original album Marcus Garvey (fantastic!) as well as remixed (or "dub") versions of all the tracks (released as Garvey's Ghost). A few of the dub versions are on Harder Than The Best, which is a best-of that includes the pacifist song "Throw Down Your Arms" and "Man in the Hills." Both are sweet, but I think the best-of balances song with groove a bit better…no biggie. The Augustus Pablo disc you recommended is a bona fide landmark.


ahh, i didn't realize harder was a best of. You don't notice the added layering on 100th anniversary? I'll have to go back and listen to harder than the rest again.... thanks for the info!
 
Aug 4, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #15 of 39

Wmcmanus

President treasurer secretary and sole member of the Cayman Islands Head-Fi Club.
Joined
Nov 29, 2002
Posts
11,830
Likes
24
Quote:

Originally Posted by salsadj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Love reggae, been listening to it for about 20 years. Good chill non-dancehall artists:

Modern:
Aswad
Glen Washinton
Fiji
Gyptian
Garnet Silk
Junior Reid
Lukie D
Lucky Dube
Steel Pulse
Morgan Heritage

Classic:
Beres Hammond
Barrington Levy
Don Carlos
Gregory Isaacs - especially the album Night Nurse
Bob Marley - of course
Cornell Cambell
Leroy Smart - especially a song called Pride and Ambition deep deep chill song

Kick butt songs - check these out on imeem

J Boog - Love Season
Pokahu - Just a Little Love

There is literally tons of good reggae, hope this helps

DJ Rod



A most excellent first post! Welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry about my wallet! (Normally, we say sorry about your wallet, in case you're still tuned into this thread).

Lots of other great recommendations as well. Keep 'em coming guys. I should be able to contribute something to this thread considering that I've been dating Jamaican women for 12 years now. Several of them, I guess four to be exact. It never seems to "work out" (as in marriage) but it has always been fun to go to 'Yard' to meet their families.

On one occasion, I got to meet Beres Hammond. My former finacee's best friend from her growing up years is his common law wife and mother of four of his children. We spent and entire day at his house in Stoney Hill. I didn't even know who he was at the time, but am now a big fan. I've got about a dozen of his albums.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top