CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 9, 2024 at 12:51 AM Post #31,681 of 31,867

Friends, what audio gear are you most looking forward to in 2024?

For me, it would be the Tanchjim Oxygen 2 and Timeless 2.
Of course, assuming these are really true upgrades over the original legendary sets!

download.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 5:57 AM Post #31,682 of 31,867
Just get the Aune Yuki dongle today
Thank you for your opinion: I am circling around Yuki for some month now; you helped me in my decision to NOT buy it. I like to have neutral or warm DACs only.
No offense against the product (and especially anyone's honest opinion).
diversify and enriching chifi community that can accept diverse sound impressions opinion. i wish i can be mod to kick out some deviant members but i cant...so, i will pray that this thread can go chill, yet informative too. i dont care about hype, just about sound value.
100% agree. I am sad what happened with you in the other thread; also one more on my ignore list (sad, I hoped that only happens on facebook).

Jan 9, 2024 at 10:03 AM Post #31,683 of 31,867
Just getting back into this world after buying a pair of ZN’s almost 8 years ago.

I’ve got two different options and would like to know people’s recommendations for each.

Option A (TWS)
Hifiman svanar LE or 1more EVO or Fiio FW5

Option B (using Fiio BTR15)
Hifiman RE800 or IKKO OH10S or moondrop KATO or BGVP NS10+ or AFUL P5 or DUNU tallos or shanling ME500 shine

I’ve got very stuck reading so much so any help would be appreciated
I'm not the best person to reply to this. But I don't want the question to be lost. Even I'm curious about a good bluetooth setup.

For your purpose, do you use android or iphone? Do you plan to use it in USB mode sometimes or bluetooth always? There's a lot of difference between streaming apps as well.
If Spotify, I'd suggest to go for maximum comfort and get option A. If any one of the high quality streaming apps, then B.

As for the particular one, you'll need to figure out what signature you like. Most consumers prefer bassy or neutral ones.

Edit: any bluetooth streaming on iPhone will be of limited quality because of its aac codec.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #31,684 of 31,867
its morning and im ''eating'' EST for breakfast!

im addict to ESTs in fact, these are some of the one i own, ive loan the Penon Serial which i adore...

and have on the way the Letshuoer EJ07 to compare with EJ07M which i love alot...for me its one of few ''harmanish'' tuning i truely enjoy, it excell in monitoring purpose tooo...

1704815423625.png

right now i listen to Hiby Zeta paired with Aune Yuki. soundstage expend quite alot. it make some IEM i pair Yuki with and their this sub bass focus and slight boost that always question me....one thing sure Yuki isnt a dongle that will make bright or crisp IEM sound warmer or thicker.

Jan 9, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #31,685 of 31,867
Thank you for your opinion: I am circling around Yuki for some month now; you helped me in my decision to NOT buy it. I like to have neutral or warm DACs only.
No offense against the product (and especially anyone's honest opinion).

100% agree. I am sad what happened with you in the other thread; also one more on my ignore list (sad, I hoped that only happens on facebook).
yes i can see the tone-timbre-dynamic not fitting everyone taste, its near neutral but thei a U shape dynamic to it and its not mid-licious....still, i hope people take very first impressions with grain of salt since i need way WAY more testing!

oh, to note...their a volume control but it dont control directly the one of laptop or phone...so we have ''double volume control''...this is something that make me anxious since i never know which of the 2 i should turn up to Max...
Tempotec E44 has this same ''con''...(for me its a con and even make me question about bitperfect)

(as for yesterday im happy my hot headed answer were erase...i dont want to come back on headfi to fight with headfier that hate me...so now...is their a way to block and not see some malovent members? if so...this could be a big relieve.)

Jan 9, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #31,686 of 31,867
yes i can see the tone-timbre-dynamic not fitting everyone taste, its near neutral but thei a U shape dynamic to it and its not mid-licious....still, i hope people take very first impressions with grain of salt since i need way WAY more testing!

oh, to note...their a volume control but it dont control directly the one of laptop or phone...so we have ''double volume control''...this is something that make me anxious since i never know which of the 2 i should turn up to Max...
Tempotec E44 has this same ''con''...(for me its a con and even make me question about bitperfect)

(as for yesterday im happy my hot headed answer were erase...i dont want to come back on headfi to fight with headfier that hate me...so now...is their a way to block and not see some malovent members? if so...this could be a big relieve.)
Yea, that guy was pretty focused on being a troll to you. To ignore people, on PC, you hover over their name and then Ignore. If you're on mobile, you probably have to tap their name first and then Ignore.

1704816523729.png

Jan 9, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #31,687 of 31,867
I'm not the best person to reply to this. But I don't want the question to be lost. Even I'm curious about a good bluetooth setup.

For your purpose, do you use android or iphone? Do you plan to use it in USB mode sometimes or bluetooth always? There's a lot of difference between streaming apps as well.
If Spotify, I'd suggest to go for maximum comfort and get option A. If any one of the high quality streaming apps, then B.

As for the particular one, you'll need to figure out what signature you like. Most consumers prefer bassy or neutral ones.

Edit: any bluetooth streaming on iPhone will be of limited quality because of its aac codec.
Thanks for the feedback. Whilst I am an iPhone user to be honest most of my listening is whilst I work with my laptop, I’ve actually never had wireless headphones even when using my hidizs AP60 II. Although many of mu music files are all rips from cd collection.

To be honest I’m leaning towards option B. Opinions on:
Sonata BHD or Fiio BTR15 with AFUL magic one or Hifiman re800?
I can get the sonata and re800 for about usd70. The other option would be usd229

I have quite a range of musical likes but bass is certainly a prominent feature

Jan 9, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #31,688 of 31,867

Friends, what audio gear are you most looking forward to in 2024?

For me, it would be the Tanchjim Oxygen 2 and Timeless 2.
Of course, assuming these are really true upgrades over the original legendary sets!

download.jpg

These are just prototype pics, but I'd like to see these two from Aful and Softears finally get released.

Aful Cantor
1704817813868.png

Softears Enigma
1704817838021.png

Jan 9, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #31,689 of 31,867
Thanks for the feedback. Whilst I am an iPhone user to be honest most of my listening is whilst I work with my laptop, I’ve actually never had wireless headphones even when using my hidizs AP60 II. Although many of mu music files are all rips from cd collection.

To be honest I’m leaning towards option B. Opinions on:
Sonata BHD or Fiio BTR15 with AFUL magic one or Hifiman re800?
I can get the sonata and re800 for about usd70. The other option would be usd229

I have quite a range of musical likes but bass is certainly a prominent feature
My choice would be Aful performer5 among your listed ones.. It can go with sonata bhd. Hybrids are a very different experience.

Jan 9, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #31,690 of 31,867
Yea, that guy was pretty focused on being a troll to you. To ignore people, on PC, you hover over their name and then Ignore. If you're on mobile, you probably have to tap their name first and then Ignore.

ok i see...quite simple and practical. done.

now lets go back to our passion lol

well, right now im struggling to find a compatible music player app to my new HP chromebook...i mean one with Bitperfect...so for now i use Hificast....its a bit insane how different it sound than musicbee exclusive mode...i cant perceive noise floor of Aune Yuki...which is now a bit warmer...so this underline ill need to test it on like...douzens of source.
i would like to understand the reason of double volume control. their no way to make it direct control. the Penon Tail for ex is direct volume control even when not bit perfect....strange.

Jan 9, 2024 at 1:14 PM Post #31,691 of 31,867
These are just prototype pics, but I'd like to see these two from Aful and Softears finally get released.

Aful Cantor
1704817813868.png

Softears Enigma
1704817838021.png
that softear design is dope....is it a passive radiator DD in the back?

hum, not sure if its top secret info but BQEYZ are working on a 1DD+1PR IEM, so im very pumped up about it since i love the Wind so much...ok, its bone conduction...then, i love the Simgot EA1000 so much! Passive radiator will perhaps invade 2024 chifi market who know!

Jan 9, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #31,692 of 31,867
Jan 9, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #31,693 of 31,867
that softear design is dope....is it a passive radiator DD in the back?
No idea. I haven't been able to find any info on it except for the early marketing teasers showing it as 2DD + 6BA + 4EST.

1704828070793.png

Jan 9, 2024 at 10:06 PM Post #31,694 of 31,867
more first impressions of Aune Yuki, now va Questyle M15

1704855429882.png

Doing comparison between the Questyle M15 and Aune Yuki, its clear technical performance go to Yuki at least in terms of clean open clarity, resolution, transparency and treble control...

I use UM Mest MK3 and note weight is more hefty and thicker with M15, mid bass hit in a rounder way while its more flat and less euphonic with Yuki.
M15 feel mids centric, while Yuki crisp neutral, with M15 the percussions have metallic splash to it, its more delicate with the Yuki.
Yuki sound colder too, more analytical, not as lush. it really wanna boost resolution while M15 seek for a more natural balance and timbre....
In term of imaging its where Yuki is notably superior, but for plain musicality i think M15 is more accessible.and more colored too. so for neutral head Yuki is better.
piano natural resonance isnt as warm with Yuki, percussions too are crisper and better separated, vocal are thinner but more transparent, we can pick up more fine details in texture of instruments...for ex, cello will over shadow piano sometime with M15, it wont with Yuki...Oh...what? Ok, the Questyle M15 at high gain is more powerful than Yuki....wasnt expecting that but even at max volume with Letshuoer S15, the Yuki isnt as loud as at 75% volume of M15 bal high gain....hum.
Dynamic is more beefy and impactful with M15, Serge Gainsbourg vocal have fuller more focus presence while it feel flatter and on same level of other instrument with Yuki.

It make a while i havent review dongle, need to dig in deeper, testing planar with the Yuki, i did yesterday try S15 and that was a sweet spot pairing since its super thick and lush. but not as dynamic and powerfull as M15 pairing....

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 9:12 AM Post #31,695 of 31,867
1704895285295.png

IEMs with switch, whats your thoughs about it? Lover? Hater? It depend?

Tbh, more their switch, more i go anxious about tuning choice and often about how subtle it is, like extra treble bite there, extra bass warmth or oomph there...or plain wonky mess like Hidizs MD4...

Penon Turbo is a exception in term of drastic change since we can go from gently bassy to radical basshead with a 10db bass booost...

Those 3 above are Soundrhyme SR7, Night Oblivion Butastur and Yanyin Canon MK2

SR7 could have use just one bass switch since treble one is way more subtle....while bass boost is very notable adding slam meat and weight and lower mids warmth, i love those quite alot which explain my reach to test the DTE500 EST soon...

The Butastur is more subtle but can get extra bass warmth too, treble switch this time can add bite and snap, but i find it to over push some percussions in my face, even if in a subtle way it affect the natural balance of 2switch down or 1 switch up, so I conclude: 1 switch would have been enough. Oriveti OH700VB have one bass boost switch that is well done, though i would have taken 2db more...

Then the Yanyin MK2, again, 1 switch would have been enough since its all about subtle bass boost and taming here...yet none of them achieve extra punch or well felt ''oomph'' like we haave for OH700VB, so its my least fav.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back