CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 15, 2022 at 6:20 AM Post #29,566 of 31,833
So, Sen'f'er DT'9 has arrived and I have first impressions for you people. As an opening note, DT'6 is my all time favourite and therefore bar for comparison.

DT'9 is a hybrid DD + Knowles BA IEMs with MMCX connection, at the moment you can get it from Ali at around 20 USD.

• IEMs: look solid and expensive although will naturally be a fingerprint magnet given gloss metallic surface. They feel tangible but not heavy or bulky. Very comfortable. 4/5
  • Packaging: while overall modest, it includes a surprisingly good cable, although with fairly small V-fork so hope you don't have huge chin! 3.5/5
  • Sound: I have not seen the frequency response graph for this but I feel this is what should be called a W-signature. It has good extensions on both ends (although more at the top) and very forward mids, more than in your average "neutral" IEMs (think DT'6). Clarity, especially in mids are like nothing else, in some songs I have heard back vocals or third guitar for the first time! Subbas extension is good and tight but not the deepest in the world just slight pleasant rumble especially from electronic bass. Highs are extremely clear, natural with minimal harshness even at high volumes - not sure if it is Sen'f'er's skillful tuning or Knowles BA is actually that good. Several words about soundstage -DT'6 was particularly legendary with its big and holographic soundstage which sounded like you stand 5-10 meters from the stage in a mid-sized venue. DT'9 is about you standing in front of a stage in a small room, I guess this is what is called "intimate". Instrument placement is still good, layering and separation is still outstanding and there is a decent sense of three dimensions but it is just that - intimate. 4.5/5
  • Tips: I first tried them with Rock Zircon M eartips which (for my ear anatomy) achieve total seal and in that set-up bass is to big and too boomy bleeding into mids. With something that provides good but not absolute seal (some Spinfit for me) it properly shines with good soundstage, analytical level of details with just enough sparkle and punch to make it fun.
So DT'9 replaces DT'6 as my daily IEM, for now, as it has next level of clarify and detail while being same or only marginally worse on other aspects (subbass, soundstage).
Can you compare both of them, i have DT 9 coming but kinda want to hear the legendary Dee Tee 6 aswell

Jan 16, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #29,567 of 31,833
My DT9 just arrived:
IMG_20220116_121735.jpg
IMG_20220116_144221.jpg
The good:
- Build (small, light weight), actually look really good
- Cable is awesome, better than kz one for sure
- 2 set of tips (blon tips + kz white short tips)
- BASS (fast, detail)
-Treble extension
The bad:
- Sibilance at sibilance at sibilance prone track
- Bass (sub bass focus - subjective)
- Might sound bright for some
- Lack accessory
Will update after proper burn in
Edit: they do sound kind of like this
graph (4).png
Here some brief impression about sen fer dt9

Jan 16, 2022 at 6:04 AM Post #29,568 of 31,833
Can you compare both of them, i have DT 9 coming but kinda want to hear the legendary Dee Tee 6 aswell
I see you have DT 9, so I would describe DT Six as slightly less detailed and slightly darker but much bigger soundstage and zero sibilance (I guess because BA covers mid range while highs are being dealt with by piezoelectric driver)

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #29,570 of 31,833
Not sure whether this is the right place to ask this, but here goes anyway... I believe it was on this thread that I first found about the Blon BL-03s which I purchased and absolutely loved. I subsequently also read here about the Tin Hi-Fi T2 Plus, which I also purchased and now like even more than the Blons. Now, having been struck by the convenience of True Wireless earbuds with a pair of T Elf 2's (less than £10 from Aliexpress), I'm wondering whether there are any TWS earbuds out there which are similar sonic bargains to the Blons and the Tins, which there is a buzz about in the way there were with these wired IEMs? Preferably something coming under $50/£50. Also, if ANC is possible, without diminishing the sound quality, that would be handy too, although obviously I'd expect to pay more.

Jan 17, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #29,571 of 31,833
Not sure whether this is the right place to ask this, but here goes anyway... I believe it was on this thread that I first found about the Blon BL-03s which I purchased and absolutely loved. I subsequently also read here about the Tin Hi-Fi T2 Plus, which I also purchased and now like even more than the Blons. Now, having been struck by the convenience of True Wireless earbuds with a pair of T Elf 2's (less than £10 from Aliexpress), I'm wondering whether there are any TWS earbuds out there which are similar sonic bargains to the Blons and the Tins, which there is a buzz about in the way there were with these wired IEMs? Preferably something coming under $50/£50. Also, if ANC is possible, without diminishing the sound quality, that would be handy too, although obviously I'd expect to pay more.

Good sounding TWS with ANC at that price point? maybe Moondrop NekoCake?
Don't expect much, but apparently its decent enough.

Jan 17, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #29,573 of 31,833
Moondrop Aria 2021, or TForce Yuan Li (not the dark soul version which has different tuning). Or HZSound Heart Mirror.
Or, even better in value a n d sound terms, the new kid in Classical town:
CCA CRA
20 plus 20$ for the upgrade cable = 40$
Get the Fiio V Tips and drive them with a really good source like the new Cayin RU6.
Outstanding!

Jan 17, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #29,574 of 31,833
A Bluetooth adaptor like the Fiio BTR3K or KZ AZ09Pro will let you use regular iems with Bluetooth. Not quite as compact as an all-in-one solution, but probably the best value for money at the moment. I have ~15 TWS sets and nothing matches real iem quality for much under $100. That said, plenty sound good at that price (Earfun Free Pro, Anker Soundcore P2, etc), just not as good as decent iems.

Jan 17, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #29,575 of 31,833

Would suggest you use a BT adapter like @Echalon said. Even something cheap like the TRN BT20S, BT20S Pro. They allow one to reuse a favourite IEM and just plug it onto the BT adapter, so you preserve the sound signature you are familiar with.

Some of these are more expensive eg iBasso CF01. Some come with charging case, some are even waterproof for exercise.

Compared to a wired connection for the same IEM, there is perhaps some loss of dynamics and subbass/higher treble roll off, but you trade off convenience for wired connections, so YMMV.

But if you were to get a pure TWS set, consider the TRN T300. It has a similar graph to the BLON BL-05s. Good timbre, comes with charging case, and has less midbass than the BL-03. Tonally good, but technicalities wise, cannot compare with wired IEMs, as expected.

Good sounding TWS with ANC at that price point? maybe Moondrop NekoCake?
Don't expect much, but apparently its decent enough.

Nekocake is meh IMHO. I would give it a 5 - 6/10 at best. The technicalities are subpar and the ANC/passive isolation is quite bad, letting in wind noise. It hisses like a snake too.

The stock tuning is quite muddy and bass bleeds a lot, I guess they wanna boost the bass to overcome outside noises on the go, fair enough.

Thankfully there is an app to change the sound profile. You cannot EQ the Nekocake, but there is a preset setting called Moondrop Classic, that setting does change it back to the usual Moondrop VSDF graph and is familiar to Moondrop fans, ah that setting saves the Nekocake.

Jan 18, 2022 at 5:28 AM Post #29,576 of 31,833
A Bluetooth adaptor like the Fiio BTR3K or KZ AZ09Pro will let you use regular iems with Bluetooth. Not quite as compact as an all-in-one solution, but probably the best value for money at the moment. I have ~15 TWS sets and nothing matches real iem quality for much under $100. That said, plenty sound good at that price (Earfun Free Pro, Anker Soundcore P2, etc), just not as good as decent iems.
Do you have to take the adaptor off the IEM every time they need to be charged? Or can they somehow be charged with the IEM on?

Jan 18, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #29,577 of 31,833
Do you have to take the adaptor off the IEM every time they need to be charged? Or can they somehow be charged with the IEM on?
You can keep them connected all the time and use the charging case like a carrying case for both the IEMs and the adapters. This is the case with TRN BT20S Pro.

Jan 18, 2022 at 6:30 AM Post #29,578 of 31,833

I forgot to add, these wireless stuff may get obsolete sooner or later, due to new bluetooth codecs. Or their battery dies, which happens after repeated charges.

So in a way, the BT adapters described above can let one reuse your favourite IEM, whereas those TWS ones, most may not be able to get their batteries replaced and end up in a landfill.

Between TWS and BT adapters, at the budget segment, generally the BT adapter types still have better sonic fidelity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back