CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
May 4, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #27,901 of 31,845
just got reponse from kinboofi on amazon, said although website says in stock, their warehouse is already out of stockšŸ˜­ Good bye Believe... I guess I will just settle with Aria for now. The sound characteristics that I perceive is very similar to the impressions on pure-berylliums.

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #27,902 of 31,845
May 5, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #27,903 of 31,845
8 of them, 4 arrived today.
VK1
VK3
VK4
KD4
KD7
CK5
CK9
CK10
Had KD4 and CK5. Gave them away to my office colleagues within a week. I tried everything but couldn't make them sound good. They sound very much like your dollar store earphones

May 5, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #27,904 of 31,845
Have you actually listened to the Starsea? The switches do change the sound signature for sure, this is even shown on graphs below. Changes in one segment eg bass, will affect the perception of the mids and treble and vice versa (AKA see saw effect).

This is in contrast to some other "tunable" IEMs I've tried like the NiceHCK M6 which has gimmicky stock tuning filters.

kF6iNOR.jpg
Graphs courtesy of KopiOKaya (IEC711 compliant coupler). 7 ā€“ 8 kHZ area is probably a resonance peak.

With both switches down ā€“ ā€œexquisite pure toneā€ ā€“ The tonality sounds like a mild V shape with an upper mids and treble boost, with a slight bass boost. The bass is slightly north of neutral, subbass > midbass in quantity. It is quite comfortable in the higher frequencies and balances a fine line between shoutiness and a forward upper mids/lower treble. With louder volumes (Fletcher Munson curve), or in poorly recorded materials, then some shoutiness may show. Lower mids are depressed but not overly so like some other deep V shaped CHIFI sets. The treble is moderately extended here.

With switch 1 down, switch 2 up ā€“ ā€œbeautiful vocalsā€ ā€“ overall, upper mids are boosted, but the bass is decreased. Hence the ears perceive it to be somewhat bright U shaped. Thereā€™s sibilance, and the upper mids and treble can get hot (due to the corresponding bass drop). Vocals are clearer, especially female vocals, though this tuning can get fatiguing with longer sessions due to the wealth of details and clarity. It has slightly less bass than the first ā€œexquisite pure toneā€ config and approaches neutral in the midbass. Subbass quantity is still more than midbass, but subbass extension isnā€™t very deep and sounds like a BA bass in terms of speed and extension/decay.

Both switches up ā€“ ā€œbalanced tuningā€ ā€“ sounds like a mild U shaped. Indeed it is the most balanced of the configs as claimed. I think it is the most inoffensive of the tunings. It is probably the tuning that is quite similar to the big brother TRI I3, though the TRI I3 has a 3 kHz peak, but the peak in this configuration in the TRI Starsea has been shifted a bit earlier to the 2ish kHz region. This tuning has the thickest lower mids of the 4 tuning configs. Bass is north of neutral but not at true basshead quantities, especially when not amped/inappropriate source pairing. Treble is not the most extended here, trebleheads may find it overly safe.

With switch 1 up and switch 2 down ā€“ ā€œamazing bassā€ ā€“ sounds mild V shaped approaching L shaped, lower mids are recessed with a subbass boost. Upper mids and lower treble are boosted, but less than the bass, so the ear takes the frequency response as a whole and it is the most bassy of the 4 configurations. Subbass extension is the deepest of the 4 tunings here. But subbass is not the deepest in extension compared to other DD containing basshead IEMs. Bass is north of neutral, subbass is more than midbass in quantity but this is not at basshead levels even though it is claimed to be ā€œamazing bassā€. When not amped, or with wrong source pairing, I find it lacking a bit in midbass punch and thickness (in note weight), but then again, Iā€™m a basshead so YMMV. The midbass thickness and quantity does improve with amping, using low output impedance sources, using narrower bore tips or perhaps copper cables (if you ainā€™t a cable skeptic). Instead of pursuing a basshead quantity, TRI has gone for a good quality bass. Thereā€™s no midbass bleed and quite good texturing present. The bass is on the speedier and tighter side. On this tuning, the higher frequencies are rather tamed, smooth and non fatiguing.
sorry, what i meant is that i've heard this opinion from some other reviewer, not that i have actually listened to the starsea. he says the change in sound is not something to consider a whole new iem, but still i am just repeating what he said as i have not listened to it yet.

May 5, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #27,906 of 31,845
May 5, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #27,907 of 31,845
how is it's treble? will there be a review?
I will post review probably this weekend.
I was working on moondrop series, but since Iā€™m missing Dusk, which they sent over 4px, may take upto 8weeks, and Iā€™m much more impressed with Starsea, so my appetite is totally toward this particular IEM.

I posted on KB Ear thread and mentioned ā€œtreble-tuning of Starsea is ā€œtop of the leagueā€ class genius. I never heard any better treble tuning other than only very few high-ends like Anole VX, Monarch, MEST 2, and Iā€™m hard to decide whether Softears RSV, Moondrop Blessing2 is any better than the treble tuning of Starsea. KB Ear really nailed in! Itā€™s their proprietary tuned super tweeter, and that makes a very delicate treble line.

May 5, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #27,908 of 31,845
Had KD4 and CK5. Gave them away to my office colleagues within a week. I tried everything but couldn't make them sound good. They sound very much like your dollar store earphones
Yup itā€™s only 4 of those, but my last night initial unboxing impression on sound except VK1 is ā€œgod almighty this is E or F classā€. I still have a hope for VK4, but other series seemed not worth to mention in this thread. They completely fail my expectations. Only thing I can utilize from those are their plastic storage box. As many KZ entry models only come with IEM, so I can utilize those box as KZ storagešŸ‘

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #27,909 of 31,845
Yup itā€™s only 4 of those, but my last night initial unboxing impression on sound except VK1 is ā€œgod almighty this is E or F classā€. I still have a hope for VK4, but other series seemed not worth to mention in this thread. They completely fail my expectations. Only thing I can utilize from those are their plastic storage box. As many KZ entry models only come with IEM, so I can utilize those box as KZ storagešŸ‘
Or you can use them for modding. Anyways they're garbage so why not play with them and see whether they have some life in them. šŸ˜‚

VK4 is regarded as a budget champ by many in the community although after my consecutive horrendous experiences I never ordered anything from them apart from a bunch of foam tips for $3šŸ˜… And even them tips are disappointing to say the least.

May 5, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #27,910 of 31,845
Hello everyone, I just tried something new, more comprehensive sound signature recordings with comparative review for IEMs.

At least you can tell how roughly each IEM would sound like. All used with stock cable and same eartips that I found suitable for recording. All recorded with same song and same settings/volumes.

062A7A46-2492-40E3-815C-3AE8C0E5B46B.jpeg
4CA7E76A-D588-4375-852C-E6B68107F8E7.png

KB EAR KS1 sound signatureā™Ŗ Jazz
KB EAR Lark sound signatureā™ŖJazz
KZ EDX sound signatureā™Ŗ Jazz
KZ DQ6 sound signatureā™ŖJazz

some testing is done with Moondrop Blessing2 sound signatureā™Ŗ Jazz

I would suggest listening to it with neutral reference, for which in this series, KB Ear Lark is closer to neutral (it's bright natural-ish)
At least this would help to have a common standing point.

Unfortunately, CSN is missing, will add it when I find it.

I will add Starsea when it gets delivered and after I burn it ināœŒļø
@AmericanSpirit , can you tell me who play this jazz? They are nice.. šŸ‘

Blessing 2 sounded the best balanced.
Lark is very good and balanced too.
EDX and KS1 sounded splashy.
DQ6 has weird tone, like resonance on the mid-upper mid.

May 5, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #27,911 of 31,845
@AmericanSpirit , can you tell me who play this jazz? They are nice.. šŸ‘

Blessing 2 sounded the best balanced.
Lark is very good and balanced too.
EDX and KS1 sounded splashy.
DQ6 has weird tone, like resonance on the mid-upper mid.
Your perception is same with mine!
Wow so it works!

The player is Hiromi. I happened to live in Boston when she was studying at Berklee school of music while as a atudent playing with jazz legend Chick Corea.

Her ablum ā€œALIVEā€ was recorded in DSD. Even after compression into youtube format, itā€™s still impressive!

She upload her whole album for freešŸ‘

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #27,912 of 31,845
I was working on moondrop series, but since Iā€™m missing Dusk, which they sent over 4px, may take upto 8weeks, and Iā€™m much more impressed with Starsea, so my appetite is totally toward this particular IEM.

I posted on KB Ear thread and mentioned ā€œtreble-tuning of Starsea is ā€œtop of the leagueā€ class genius. I never heard any better treble tuning other than only very few high-ends like Anole VX, Monarch, MEST 2, and Iā€™m hard to decide whether Softears RSV, Moondrop Blessing2 is any better than the treble tuning of Starsea. KB Ear really nailed in! Itā€™s their proprietary tuned super tweeter, and that makes a very delicate treble line.
The treble from TRi's custom BA in the Starsea is really top notch. For classical orchestral music it is something else. One of my favourite IEM's.

May 5, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #27,913 of 31,845
The treble from TRi's custom BA in the Starsea is really top notch. For classical orchestral music it is something else. One of my favourite IEM's.
Very true, TRI:KB EAR engineers really got some talent in tuning mid/treble!

May 5, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #27,914 of 31,845

nice. would you say it's fatiguing?

May 5, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #27,915 of 31,845
nice. would you say it's fatiguing?
Non-fatiguing at any sense, that dip tuning is some masterpiece. Anole VX got similar tuning, because human ear has pinna gain 2.5khz-3.5khz, and its overtones for 5khz-7khz, 10khx-14khz.
Iā€™d suggest try this to find your personal pinna gain, the frequency that your inner ear canalā€™s resonance point.

Iā€™d suggest using neutral reference like KBEAR Lark (although Lark is much mote bright neutral tunung, for $25 it is one of the best neutral/ish tuned) for testing resonance peaks.

You can find your ear resonance even from sub-bass range, for me itā€™s 96hz.

if you multiply lowest reaonance point (for me 96hz), you can find your upper mid pinna gain range. 96x2x2x2x2x2=3,072hz (pinna gain) x 2 =6,144hx(concha gain) x 2 = third harmonics 12,288hz.

that 6.1khz and 12.3khz dip will reduce ear resonance thus reducing fatigues but other frequency range remained clear so if will not cost huge sacrifice on total presentation.

I come to notice there are two types of tonality tuner: 64 audio/ qdc are safer tuner that they dip 6khz and 10-13khz

while some like Softears/ Moondropā€™s Dusk, they are spot-hitter, they intentionally raise the 3k range to make a euphoric resonance, which if successfully done, will generate one of a kind speciality.

For that Starsea is safer bet spot avoider, thus as far as your resonance point is located near that dip, your ear is safe from harsh fatiguingšŸ‘

My advice to anyone is to find your own resonance point around 3k,6k,12khz, then decide whether you want ā€œspot-hitterā€ or ā€œspot-avoiderā€ for any IEMs.

I guess the reaons why human got this 3,6,12k resonance on top of any reaonance peaks is that, 3khz / 6khz is mainly alerting acoustic signal which infant/female screaming will be focused on, and 12k for more primitive intuitions for detecting life threatening animal signals. So if this 12khz keeps ringing inside oneā€™s head, it may cause a fatigue in a long run.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back