CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Dec 24, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #26,776 of 31,845
Now you made me buy the Black Bat, hopefully I like them better than the NCO which I think is a bit meh in most aspects.

Two days ago after I bought the FiiO FD5 I thought it was my last purchase of the year and this is now the fourth one I buy after that... OpenHeart Resin, NS Audio NS5 MKII Bass, Tripowin TC-01 and now the Black Bat...

Tomorrow I should receive Focus Rythm and Focus EDM to compliment my recently acquired Focus Vocal. :)

NM2+ purchased on 11/11 still MIA so far. :frowning2:
I recently ordered that tc-01 looking for a comfortable iem (as it looks tiny) but also one with a warmish harman tune which is capable of basshead levels with a second eq profile. I have no clue if the tripowin is able to provide this so I'm anxious to wait for it to come and see how it does, as I can hardly find anything out there about it except the bggar video

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #26,777 of 31,845
Over 100 hours now on the Openheart resin IEMs. They are sounding amazing. Very well balanced with wonderful layering and separation. Try this if you have them, magical. And what a recording!

Dec 25, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #26,778 of 31,845
I bought the Pizen PianoTrio [ https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32825090018.html ] at the same time that I bought the AudioSense T100.
The PianoTrio has better low Bass impact than the T100 (without the Mid-Bass blooming/booming of the Tennmak Pro), but it's not as comfortable to wear while sleeping as the T100, or my Tennmak Pro.

I ended up buying the Pizen because I was looking for something that had the same shell as a Shure SE215 because I know it isolates well which is what I wanted since I only wear them on the train.

Not great....the isolation is a bit of an improvement on my KZ ZSN so they have that going but the sound quality is cheap sounding, I'm not enough of an audiophile to describe it but it seems like a real lack of any detail. Not bad either but I think I'll stick to the ZSN for the train, their noise isolation isn't great but it's good enough and sound quality is much better.

Dec 25, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #26,780 of 31,845
I ended up buying the Pizen because I was looking for something that had the same shell as a Shure SE215 because I know it isolates well which is what I wanted since I only wear them on the train.

Not great....the isolation is a bit of an improvement on my KZ ZSN so they have that going but the sound quality is cheap sounding, I'm not enough of an audiophile to describe it but it seems like a real lack of any detail. Not bad either but I think I'll stick to the ZSN for the train, their noise isolation isn't great but it's good enough and sound quality is much better.

I haven't listened to any KZ earphones, but I do like the isolation and sound of the PianoTrio, for when I'm laying down to sleep.
For "critical" listening, the single Balanced Armature AudioSense T180 ($41) does sound better - but doesn't have as much low Bass.

Dec 26, 2020 at 4:21 AM Post #26,782 of 31,845
Last edited:
Dec 26, 2020 at 4:26 AM Post #26,783 of 31,845
Dec 26, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #26,784 of 31,845
I haven't listened to any KZ earphones, but I do like the isolation and sound of the PianoTrio, for when I'm laying down to sleep.
For "critical" listening, the single Balanced Armature AudioSense T180 ($41) does sound better - but doesn't have as much low Bass.

I think all should listen KZ at their own journeys beginning and return to it once in a while to notice their progress toward audiophilia.

Well, after KZs many sub 100 iems are fine too. Especially with these Berillium vibe.

Dec 26, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #26,785 of 31,845
Mine arrived and spent minimal time with them so don't read too much into it. These fit really well, driver flex on the left but not always for me. Using the stock tips as they came in a size large enough to be usable for me and the FAAEAL cable. MMCX connectors are much better than my D.T.6., secure click without much force. I do think there is a little of the D.T.6. hiding in there, the massive bass level, emphasized upper mids then rolled of upper end but not as much as the D.T.6.. Not as dark as the D.T.6.. But still going to appeal to EDM fans with all that bass. After a year of controlled/reduced/restrained bass in the budget end, it was nice to have something seriously rumble my ear again. There is a rough edge on the sound at this point, not as smooth as it should be, but I think it just needs a bit more time. It will probably be as divisive as the D.T.6., it will work better in electronic music than acoustic or those who prefer a more natural sound. Maybe with a bit more time, it will be closer to the D.T.6. Pro.

The soundstage is different than I remember on the D.T.6.. The KP580 seems wider and taller. At this point, I am not sure it will win over anyone who hated the D.T.6., but I would buy it over the D.T.6. for the fit, better connectors, and soundstage while retaining all that bass.

kp580_2.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #26,786 of 31,845
Mine arrived and spent minimal time with them so don't read too much into it. These fit really well, driver flex on the left but not always for me. Using the stock tips as they came in a size large enough to be usable for me and the FAAEAL cable. MMCX connectors are much better than my D.T.6., secure click without much force. I do think there is a little of the D.T.6. hiding in there, the massive bass level, emphasized upper mids then rolled of upper end but not as much as the D.T.6.. Not as dark as the D.T.6.. But still going to appeal to EDM fans with all that bass. After a year of controlled/reduced/restrained bass in the budget end, it was nice to have something seriously rumble my ear again. There is a rough edge on the sound at this point, not as smooth as it should be, but I think it just needs a bit more time. It will probably be as divisive as the D.T.6., it will work better in electronic music than acoustic or those who prefer a more natural sound. Maybe with a bit more time, it will be closer to the D.T.6. Pro.

The soundstage is different than I remember on the D.T.6.. The KP580 seems wider and taller. At this point, I am not sure it will win over anyone who hated the D.T.6., but I would buy it over the D.T.6. for the fit, better connectors, and soundstage while retaining all that bass.

I'm starting to think that the main issue of this model is driver flex. I've heard from every owner that they experience driver flex.

Your impressions are the same as mine. But I find the upper mids glaring at higher volume (pre-burn-in). I also wasn't sure if there was early treble roll-off because something sounded missing, but your impression confirmed it. These do improve after burn-in (smoother upper mids, better bass response) if you believe in that and are very tip-dependent. I also removed the metal grill and replaced it with alcohol pad and am using them with shortened reversed stock tips. Oh, and the tips they come with are very random, or so it seems. I got 3 pairs of tips that are sold as BGVP Y01 and other owners received different pairs.

Edit: BTW, I'm a subscriber and am waiting for your "Quick Look" video on the KP580 😄

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #26,787 of 31,845
I'm starting to think that the main issue of this model is driver flex. I've heard from every owner that they experience driver flex.

Your impressions are the same as mine. But I find the upper mids glaring at higher volume (pre-burn-in). I also wasn't sure if there was early treble roll-off because something sounded missing, but your impression confirmed it. These do improve after burn-in (smoother upper mids, better bass response) if you believe in that and are very tip-dependent. I also removed the metal grill and replaced it with alcohol pad and am using them with shortened reversed stock tips. Oh, and the tips they come with are very random, or so it seems. I got 3 pairs of tips that are sold as BGVP Y01 and other owners received different pairs.

Edit: BTW, I'm a subscriber and am waiting for your "Quick Look" video on the KP580 😄

I think you are right on the tips. Using the stock tips and not sure which ones I received, but they fit well. I think they emphasize the bass and cut the treble a bit. Switched to flip tips and better on the treble but a bit lean in the middle upper. So either use a more open tip and your alcohol pad to prevent the shouty sound or a more closed tip and lose more at the high end. Especially with electronic music, I am fine with the flip tips as it isn't too shouty for me and they brought out more detail. For me, similar hard hitting sound like the Urbanfun but it has a better soundstage, really wide but the vocals a bit in front of you and tall. I am not ready to rip off the grill yet, but did you think guitars are better with the alcohol pad? I am fine leaving this one as an EDM banger but curious how the pad affected the sound.

Dec 27, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #26,788 of 31,845
I think you are right on the tips. Using the stock tips and not sure which ones I received, but they fit well. I think they emphasize the bass and cut the treble a bit. Switched to flip tips and better on the treble but a bit lean in the middle upper. So either use a more open tip and your alcohol pad to prevent the shouty sound or a more closed tip and lose more at the high end. Especially with electronic music, I am fine with the flip tips as it isn't too shouty for me and they brought out more detail. For me, similar hard hitting sound like the Urbanfun but it has a better soundstage, really wide but the vocals a bit in front of you and tall. I am not ready to rip off the grill yet, but did you think guitars are better with the alcohol pad? I am fine leaving this one as an EDM banger but curious how the pad affected the sound.
Bass - A bit boomier but counteracted by using reversed stock tips. Still prominent because I am using the stock tips which elevate them in the first place.
Mids - vocals are definitely less shouty but didn't lose their appeal (still placed in front). Guitars meanwhile lose that grittiness/bite associated with the elevated upper mids but the exchange was definitely worth it - the overall presentation became much smoother. The shoutiness basically disappeared with this mod.
Treble - no noticeable changes for me

Separation, soundstage, and imaging are amazing on these.

For me, it would be better to try it yourself to hear the difference. It's a fairly easy mod to do and is reversible so there's no scare to damage the IEM.

Final mod: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mod...or-all-iem-modifications.952994/post-16130220

133528486_232103975043027_2160974524483323652_n.jpg

Attachments

• 133528486_232103975043027_2160974524483323652_n.jpg
    133528486_232103975043027_2160974524483323652_n.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 27, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #26,790 of 31,845
For the bassheads on a budget: Faaeal Poppy ($7)

These are also very hard to drive.

That’s odd that they are very hard to drive. The specs list the impedance and sensitivity as 16Ω @ 106dB/mW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back