CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Dec 19, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #26,746 of 31,833
That's indeed quite a good set of accessories for a budget set.

I don't really pay much attention to accessories in budget CHIFI as most of us in this hobby have aftermarket tips/cables that we will most likely use with our IEM. But I was extremely disappointed with the most recent TRN flagship (let's ignore the $15000 USD joke TRN golden ears), the TRN BA8, which was $140ish at launch. It had a truly disgraceful set of accessories:

1) Hard round case (metal) – FYI, it costs $3 USD on Aliexpress.

2) Silicone tips (S/M/L)

3) 4 Core OCC Cable – tangly and thin.

I wouldn't talk about the sound of the TRN BA8 (spoiler: it's not very good), but the dearth of accessories for a "flagship" is shocking. The TRN BA8’s cable and eartips are exactly the same as those seen in budget TRN gear, and perhaps they added the hard case to make it look more premium, but that hard case can be easily bought for $3 or cheaper on Aliexpress.
CVJ do the same thing, their cheapest model, CSA has the same accessories as the flagship CSN. Mind you at least you get a reasonable set of extras with their IEMs.

Dec 19, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #26,747 of 31,833
Dec 19, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #26,748 of 31,833
The Openheart is so musical, try it with this absolutely beautiful piece:

Dec 19, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #26,749 of 31,833
Open Heart resin IEMs came today. Amazing presentation and quality build. Really nice cable with brass fittings and loads of accessories. And the sound.. well, OOTB they are really impressive. Deep textured sub bass, no bass bleed. Mids not recessed and excellent timbre. Treble clean and extended with excellent detail. Big 3D soundstage. These are a superb single DD and I think will challenge my Smabat NCO, Tin T2 plus and the BL-05s for top spot! £22 off Ali Express, it's a no-brainer.
How is noise isolation?

Dec 19, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #26,750 of 31,833
W
How is noise isolation?
With the pre-fitted tips (medium, narrow bore) the isolation and seal are excellent. I have large ear canals so YMMV.

Dec 19, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #26,751 of 31,833
Something has joined the party late. Sony MH750 which I received this week are amongst best $7 spent in this year. EDX was my cheapie gem till now but now I get the hype about these vintage icons. Typical Sony sound which just moves you. And continuing my lucky streak of finding a genuine one and not some fake! Touchwood! I will surely buy one more to start some modding related to nozzles. Apologies if this seems like a spam post but my glee knows no bounds at the moment. NCO+MH750 is what my ears longed for in this underwhelming year!

P.S. - My Blon BL-03 can officially retire in peace.

Having multiple MH750 and 1 MH755 prevents me from looking over at all the sub-$20 KZs and CCAs. Simply no need for them, because these Sony's are going to be at least as good or better.

Dec 19, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #26,753 of 31,833
Fresh of the chi-fi oem assembly line: (Fengru) Rosa (D3). $25 USD on Aliexpress.

This is marketed as 1DD 10mm Beryllium Plated Crystal Composite film IEM.

Fit/isolation and build (except massive seams) are not bad. I've been using them with YY 16 SPC cable + CP145 tips.

Bright-leaning V sound signature, with highlight here being clean treble extension. High notes are well audible without sounding piercing or harsh. Very fun to listen to brass instruments.

Low end is above average with powerful and clean bass slam and decent sub-bass extension. However bass is not very well texturized and with complex low end tracks that have multiple simultaneous different basslines (like german techno), there's no good separation and things gets mashed together.

Mids are disappointing. Bass bleeds and there's a drop off in low mids to make the bass slam more pronounced. Male vocals sound distant and not musical. Femals vocals and upper mids are comparatively better due to good treble extension.

Soundstage is narrow and shallow but is tall and extends well vertically. Timbre and musically are below average. Minute details and instrument separation are OK. Stereo imaging is good.

Suggested for those fiending for affordable clean treble, it's very impressive at this price. Bass heads would appreciate simple yet strong bass slam. (My pick for best chi-fi IEM in this price range still goes to BL-03.)

(thanks to @baskingshark for flagging these)

20201218_153259.jpg20201218_153306.jpg20201219_100713.jpg20201219_100744.jpg20201219_100750.jpg20201219_100811.jpg

1608394166184.png

Thanks for taking one for the team to try this set! The shell really looks like the BLON BL-03, just that the purported driver is different, plus there's some flame logo on this shell. Seems tuning is very different from the BL-03, thanks for your input.

Of the beryllium single DD types (be it plated or full beryllium) I've tried, they generally have fast transients and take to EQ like a champ. Perhaps u can try EQing this set to your preferences like at the bass and mids.

CVJ do the same thing, their cheapest model, CSA has the same accessories as the flagship CSN. Mind you at least you get a reasonable set of extras with their IEMs.

I've read in forums that CVJ is purported to be a sister company of TRN, so I wouldn't be surprised by this fact. But seems of the CVJs we've seen in reviews, they look to be neutralish/neutralish bright in tuning compared to the usually V shaped TRNs, so maybe it is a different tuning philosophy?

Dec 19, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #26,754 of 31,833
Thanks for taking one for the team to try this set! The shell really looks like the BLON BL-03, just that the purported driver is different, plus there's some flame logo on this shell. Seems tuning is very different from the BL-03, thanks for your input.

Of the beryllium single DD types (be it plated or full beryllium) I've tried, they generally have fast transients and take to EQ like a champ. Perhaps u can try EQing this set to your preferences like at the bass and mids.

I've read in forums that CVJ is purported to be a sister company of TRN, so I wouldn't be surprised by this fact. But seems of the CVJs we've seen in reviews, they look to be neutralish/neutralish bright in tuning compared to the usually V shaped TRNs, so maybe it is a different tuning philosophy?

Yes, CVJ is a sister company of TRN.

Just like CCA is to KZ.

There’s no rules on tuning per se. Just like KZ tunes CCA earphones neutral some times and V shaped other times, TRN does the same thing with CVJ.

Dec 20, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #26,757 of 31,833
Dec 20, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #26,758 of 31,833
Having multiple MH750 and 1 MH755 prevents me from looking over at all the sub-$20 KZs and CCAs. Simply no need for them, because these Sony's are going to be at least as good or better.

Absolutely. I am getting atleast a couple more as backup to save me future $$$ in the sub $20 category.

Dec 20, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #26,759 of 31,833
Was HZSOUND Heart Mirror the best iem under 100 € of the year?

How does it compare to Blon BL-03? I realized it is brighter.

Would it be a signature too much like NM2 + if I thought about buying both?

For me its the HISENIOR T2U the very best sub-100$ buy.

But single DD is sure HZsound Mirror cause technically they are on par with anything under 200$.

IT00 suck, it sound like a warmer darker KZ EDX. But it have poorer quality check, mine have mmcx issue since day 1 and i read lot of other consumers with similar issue.

NM2+ is excellent, but to be honnest, if I have to use something for monitoring it would be the HZsound which have higher resolution and better imaging, more controlled bass too, faster attack. Timbre is fuller, thicker with NM2+, bass is more weighty but warmer in texture-details and slower in attack. NM2+ is more V shape and its treble doesnt extend as far as the Mirror. Bass is a bit rolled off too, which isnt the case with Mirror even if its leaner and less impactfull.

So the answer is NO, these 2 arent similar at all.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #26,760 of 31,833
The BL01's are definitely excellent. I've been ABC'ing them with the YBF and the Black Bat and it's hard to say which I prefer. The 01's actually graph a lot like the YBF's and the difference's I am seeing on the graphs appears to match what I'm hearing as well. The 01 have a bit more bass weight and the vocals are a little softer. I think I prefer the vocal tonality on the 01's but the extended treble on the YBF's gives them a sense of air and space that I have not been able to find on another IEM yet.

I have been pleasantly surprised with the Smabat Black Bat as well. Monstrous sub-bass that is kept under control (with the right tips) and great vocals. They are a particularly good set for hip hop, but they sound good with everything really.

Green: 01 / Red: YBF
bl01vsYbf.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back