CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Sep 28, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #26,011 of 31,833
I posted this in its own thread and it was suggested that I ask here as well, hoping for some pointers.
So I don't have any nice wired iems, and was hoping to get a recommendation on some chi-fi wired iems based on what I like/dislike about my current and past headphones. Going chi-fi because I'm happy to use AliExpress and everything else is super marked up in Aus.
I'd like to stay under $100 AUD though I might go higher (max around $200) if there's something there that really fits the bill.

They'll be running off a Tempotec Sonata HD Pro and occasionally a topping a30/d30 stack, and using foam tips for noise isolation and comfort (silicone tips don't create a seal in my ears). I listen to a lot of different genres, mostly guitar based but some electronic and vocal-focuses tracks too. I really like to hear the timbre of the bass guitar in competently produced tracks. I like some low end rumble and can't stand sibilance or boxiness.

Equipment I have/have tried:

Sennheiser HD 6XX: my favourite headphones but could use a touch more rumble and obviously being bulky and open back I can't take them anywhere. I like the sound stage, the clarity and handling of treble. I don't expect these in an iem but I figure it's a good guide for my tastes.

V-Moda Forza Metallo Wireless: these are my daily drivers and quite close to what I want so I have to be really nitpicky to ask for more. The upper treble sounds a bit artificial (which might be Bluetooth compression, even with aptx) and the soundstage is really narrow. A little more sub-bass would be nice too, though that may be because I don't have any really good fitting foam tips for them yet.

Sony WH-1000XM3: Low end is good but a bit muddy, a little short on clarity and there's a bit of a processed sound going on, but generally pleasant.

Cambridge Audio Melomania 1: The bass has tonnes of rumble and I quite like that but they also have very limited clarity and are very, very muffled.

Galaxy Buds/Galaxy Buds+: These hurt my ears. The highs have way too much sibilance, waaay too much. The bass is drowned out by the treble. Reasonably nice clarity though. I also suspect the scalable codec is stuck at rather low quality because it's scarcely better than SBC.

Superlux HD668B: These also hurt my ears. They have big issues with sibilance and the highs feel really dry and overly bright, albeit quite natural.

Logitech UE4000: these sound like an angry goose trapped in a wet cardboard box.

Hoping someone can help me out!
Of the IEMs I have, these should suit you:
1. Smabat NCO
2. BLON BL-05s
3. Tin Hifi T2 plus
4. CCA CA16
Hope that helps!

Sep 28, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #26,012 of 31,833
iBasso IT00 seems to fit the bill. Get them at Prime Day on Amazon ( October 13 and 14). It should be in your $100 AUD range.

The iBasso IT00 and FiiO FD1 are good sub 100 dollars. They do possess different tonality though with former being more relaxed and the latter more bright. Choose wisely , happy listening ! :)

Sep 28, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #26,013 of 31,833
They'll be running off a Tempotec Sonata HD Pro and occasionally a topping a30/d30 stack, and using foam tips for noise isolation and comfort (silicone tips don't create a seal in my ears). I listen to a lot of different genres, mostly guitar based but some electronic and vocal-focuses tracks too. I really like to hear the timbre of the bass guitar in competently produced tracks. I like some low end rumble and can't stand sibilance or boxiness.

Hoping someone can help me out!
I think the IT00 would be great for you if the guitars you listen to are mostly electric. I found them too warm and thick for acoustic music. They also have a lot of driver flex for some people, if that matters to you.

For more money but a more natural sound I can definitely recommend the FH3 if you buy from Amazon to get their solid return policy in case of QC issues.

Sep 28, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #26,014 of 31,833
I think u can ask @Tonymac136 and @LaughMoreDaily about the BLON BL-01, I recall seeing them post about it previously.

I actually thought it isn't in production any more, wow seems u can still find a shop link for it.

In my opinion it's a no-brainer. If the MH750/755 is the poor man's Blon BL03, the BL01 is the poor man's Tin T2. More neutral sounding than the MH750/5 (though to some ears this can be a bit dull). I seem to recall mine took a fair bit of use before sounding their best, and they do improve on the end of amplification (like most DD sets). I used the BL01 as my daily driver for a couple of months - it was nice to sacrifice a little bit of the detail of the Tin T2 and a bit of the vinylish tubey loveliness of the Blon BL03 and just enjoy the music without getting caught up in how the IEMs sounded. It's my favourite cheapie by a long way, I'd even go as far as to say I prefer it as an all rounder to its bigger and more famous brother the BL03. Just listened again for the first time in months and yup - I still really like it.

Edit - Negatives I forgot to mention are that the soundstage is... Intimate, and separation can be a bit pants, particularly between bass and drum. For the money though..

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #26,015 of 31,833
So seems like the consensus is the IT00, thanks all.
Only one more question, which I know is creeping away from the scope of the thread: if I did manage to stretch funds to 200AU, would something like the Tri I3 be better or is the IT00 what I'm looking for? Keeping in mind it'll usually be powered by a sonata hd pro so I don't know how well that works with the I3's need for amping.

The FH3 is tempting @KutuzovGambit, but even with a return policy there's a lot of reviews mentioning the qc issues and I have terrible luck with that sort of thing.

Sep 28, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #26,016 of 31,833
So seems like the consensus is the IT00, thanks all.
Only one more question, which I know is creeping away from the scope of the thread: if I did manage to stretch funds to 200AU, would something like the Tri I3 be better or is the IT00 what I'm looking for? Keeping in mind it'll usually be powered by a sonata hd pro so I don't know how well that works with the I3's need for amping.

The FH3 is tempting @KutuzovGambit, but even with a return policy there's a lot of reviews mentioning the qc issues and I have terrible luck with that sort of thing.

TRI I3 doesn't sound that good on the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro, I've tried that combi, it is quite flat sounding. The planars in the TRI I3 need amping to open up the dynamics and soundstage and get the planar mids sounding sweet, it is not about volume. Unless u can put a 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm adapter to "trick" the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro into going to the max output, but even at max "tricked" output it still isn't as great as compared to a dedicated amp (It can go up to 2V output but has an auto gain setting based on the impedance of the connected transducer).

Anyways TRI I3 and IT00 are different animals, different transducer types at different prices, so it is an apples to oranges comparison. The single DD IT00 is more about timbre and has more subbass oomph and treble extension. Whereas the TRI I3 is more balanced but with better soundstage and imaging. TRI I3 is a bit darker in the treble.

Sep 28, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #26,017 of 31,833
Wrote a small review about the Final Audio E3000 here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/final-audio-design-e3000.22426/reviews#item-review-24428

7c4rTig.jpg

Pros:

Light and comfortable.
Superb imaging and instrument separation at sub $50 price point.
Excellent soundstage.
Natural timbre.
Non fatiguing.
Balanced and sublime mids.
Comes with Final type E (black) tips! (ironically these black Final E tips are not a good pairing with this set, as they may muddy the Final Audio E3000’s treble actually).

Cons:

Noodle thin, non detachable, microphonic cable.
Requires a powerful source to shine.
Poor isolation.
Midbass on the slow/nebulous side, with lack in subbass extension.
Rolled off treble, not the most detailed treble (may be a pro or con depending on your treble sensitivity levels).

Sep 28, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #26,018 of 31,833
TRI I3 doesn't sound that good on the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro, I've tried that combi, it is quite flat sounding. The planars in the TRI I3 need amping to open up the dynamics and soundstage and get the planar mids sounding sweet, it is not about volume. Unless u can put a 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm adapter to "trick" the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro into going to the max output, but even at max "tricked" output it still isn't as great as compared to a dedicated amp (It can go up to 2V output but has an auto gain setting based on the impedance of the connected transducer).

Anyways TRI I3 and IT00 are different animals, different transducer types at different prices, so it is an apples to oranges comparison. The single DD IT00 is more about timbre and has more subbass oomph and treble extension. Whereas the TRI I3 is more balanced but with better soundstage and imaging. TRI I3 is a bit darker in the treble.

Just the reply I wanted. IT00 it is then - I am doing the trick with the adapter but the IT00 sounds more like my thing with the oomph. Thanks so much to yourself and everyone else for the helpful replies.

Sep 29, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #26,019 of 31,833
Just the reply I wanted. IT00 it is then - I am doing the trick with the adapter but the IT00 sounds more like my thing with the oomph. Thanks so much to yourself and everyone else for the helpful replies.

K enjoy your set!

IT00 is very good for the price. The driver flex is a bit irritating though, but not everyone experiences it, as this is rather eartip and ear anatomy dependent. If u do find driver flex let us know, there's ways to mitigate it.

Sep 29, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #26,020 of 31,833
Wrote a small review about the Final Audio E3000 here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/final-audio-design-e3000.22426/reviews#item-review-24428

7c4rTig.jpg

Pros:

Light and comfortable.
Superb imaging and instrument separation at sub $50 price point.
Excellent soundstage.
Natural timbre.
Non fatiguing.
Balanced and sublime mids.
Comes with Final type E (black) tips! (ironically these black Final E tips are not a good pairing with this set, as they may muddy the Final Audio E3000’s treble actually).

Cons:

Noodle thin, non detachable, microphonic cable.
Requires a powerful source to shine.
Poor isolation.
Midbass on the slow/nebulous side, with lack in subbass extension.
Rolled off treble, not the most detailed treble (may be a pro or con depending on your treble sensitivity levels).

The first thing I did was swap to some wide bore tips. The cable is really disappointing. I wonder how much a removable cable adds to the manufacturing costs of an iem.

Sep 29, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #26,022 of 31,833
The first thing I did was swap to some wide bore tips. The cable is really disappointing. I wonder how much a removable cable adds to the manufacturing costs of an iem.

MMCX connectors aren't that expensive, I see them going for less than a dollar for a pair on Aliexpress. 2 pin connectors and maybe higher quality MMCX may cost more though. When I was making some custom IEMs, I spoke to a few manufacturers, they were quoting me about $10 USD or so to procure the MMCX and solder it in. They quoted a bit more for 2 pin connectors, I'm sure it could be done for cheaper, or even free if you know how to solder.

We see some $16 USD IEMs (eg a banned tribid with a piezo which is the non pro version) having detachable MMCX connectors, so I find it disappointing some more expensive IEMs and actually most TOTL earbuds come with non detachable cables. It is a potential source of failure down the line, not to mention a source of microphonics and it limits balanced aftermarket cables/wireless adapters.

Sep 29, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #26,023 of 31,833
Sep 29, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #26,024 of 31,833
Wait, what year is it again??? You know that is just not true.
Well we got:

Simphonio Dragon 3
Fiio Em5
DQSM Turandot
Moondrop Chaconne

Those are all over 200 usd with the dragon 3 at nearly 500 usd without replaceable cables. :joy:

Sep 29, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #26,025 of 31,833
Are we talking earbud or IEMs?? I read earbuds as earphones :) Then I stand corrected. Probably more earbuds still fixed. Earbuds are different though. They don't really try for fit or things like removable cable like in-ears. Don't think they even really grasp the point of the portability and tune them as if your are listening in a quiet place and not for leaving the house.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back