CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jun 23, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #24,857 of 31,833
Hello everyone, it's been a while here. Thanks to Covid-19 and Indo-China tensions, AliExpress doesn't ship to India anymore and thus halting my Chi-Fi spending spree. At least, my wallet is happy. Lol. Anyways, was looking to order from Penon or other such sites which ship from Singapore in the hopes that, it might be delivered without any hindrance. It would be helpful if the community can guide me here.

I prefer Harman-neutral signature and listen to variety of genres ranging from Indian classical to metal, pop, rock, hip-hop, fusion, and Bollywood.

As around ~$100 mark, was thinking of going for Moondrop Starfield. Signature is right down my alley and has great impressions as well. Any other options should I check?

Also, any reviews yet for T2 Plus? They look like P4 and Urbanfun lovechild. Does it have Tin house signature?

Thanks in advance. :)

There are reviews of the moondrop starfield, tin hifi t2 plus and urbanfun up at audioreviews. Here is the tinhifi t2 plus.
https://www.audioreviews.org/tin-hifi-t2-plus-review-jk/

Jun 23, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #24,858 of 31,833
I’m anxiously awaiting some initial impressions on the FiiO FD1. Very curious how that sounds, especially compared to the UrbanFun (though there are now 3 different versions?).

Jun 23, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #24,859 of 31,833
Love the Starfileds and should be loving my T2 Plus soon :grin:

Star Struck.JPG

Jun 23, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #24,860 of 31,833
I’m anxiously awaiting some initial impressions on the FiiO FD1. Very curious how that sounds, especially compared to the UrbanFun (though there are now 3 different versions?).
with the way things are going with the urbanfun, the Fiio FD1 will probably get a default win over it :joy:

Jun 23, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #24,864 of 31,833
I wonder if to some the Tin HiFi T2 Plus will sound dark since it FR wise anyway, every Tin HiFi before it seems to have more treble.
I think I’d like that. I don’t want the same signature over and over.

Jun 23, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #24,865 of 31,833
with the way things are going with the urbanfun, the Fiio FD1 will probably get a default win over it :joy:
Sadly, yes. They already allegedly shipped my UFs. At least it‘s not too expensive a gamble.

Jun 24, 2020 at 4:14 AM Post #24,866 of 31,833
got myself a QKZ AK6 - sound pretty nice and smooth - better than the more expensive chifi stuff i have (KZ ZS7 and mi pro HD)
but the bass is nowhere close to an MDR XB50AP. my my search for a warm basshead upgrade over the XB50 continues.
Challenge is that most of the so called "basshead" IEM's have an equally sharp high end, and I'm somewhat sensitive - so still looking for a warm, bassy but resolving budget IEM

Jun 24, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #24,867 of 31,833
got myself a QKZ AK6 - sound pretty nice and smooth - better than the more expensive chifi stuff i have (KZ ZS7 and mi pro HD)
but the bass is nowhere close to an MDR XB50AP. my my search for a warm basshead upgrade over the XB50 continues.
Challenge is that most of the so called "basshead" IEM's have an equally sharp high end, and I'm somewhat sensitive - so still looking for a warm, bassy but resolving budget IEM
Check out Final E3000.

Jun 24, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #24,868 of 31,833
I share the same quest. I found the only way to achieve this (with IEMs under $100 USD), was with an EQ, to do a cut at the offending frequency. For portable use, you can get a (Bluetooth receiver) Radsone ES100 MKI for $80 on Amazon or as low as $63, for "Amazon renewed guaranteed".

Jun 24, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #24,869 of 31,833
You never know what you’re gonna get.

If you even get the Urbanfun in the first place. Certain folks in the urbanfun thread said they didn't even receive their Urbanfun after a few months from ordering, I think coronavirus is really wracking havoc on logistics and transport. Yeah but agreed, it is a bummer not knowing if the QC issues are fixed or even what driver type (noble metal? or beryllium?) one is gonna get. I know the latest claims are these issues are fixed, but who knows whether old stock is sent to your mail? And they sneakily jacked the price up from the $39 USD release price to $69 USD now.

I gave it a miss due to these issues, even though reviews are good for it. I do hope they fix the QC and delivery issues though, I would be keen to try it out one day.

I have a few sub $100 USD basshead sets that don't have sharp treble/upper mids, but some of them are out of production or hard to find:
1) Toneking Ninetails - it has 9 tuning options (via front and rear filters). When adding both front/back filters to be the bassiest variant, it can really cause jaw rattling bass with amping, though the bass is so copious it causes midbass bleed and ain't the tightest, but the treble is non fatiguing for me on this tuning option. Details and resolution are above average for a DD set, but won't trump equivalently priced multi BA sets.

2) Semkarch SKC CNT1 - just a tinge shy of basshead quantities with the black filters, but it has quite good subbass extension, treble is non fatiguing. Hard to find now though as it is out of production. Bass is on the faster side for a DD set.

3) TRN IM2 - V shaped and non fatiguing treble. Artifiical timbre and overly recessed mids, but nothing much to complain for the price of ~ $14 USD.

4) TFZ No. 3 - legit basshead set with good technicalities for a single DD set. The upper mids are on the border of harsh for me, but treble is not fatiguing except an occasional 8 kHz spike with trumpets/brass instruments.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back