CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
May 31, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #24,466 of 31,833
Old man space checking in to ask:

I want to get my younger brother some great sounding but inexpensive IEMS or earbuds. After looking around weird places like AliExpress and saw about 20 different versions of things like the fengrus and am a bit lost.

What will garner an expansive sound stage and solid performance for under $50?

Thanks and hope it's a good one.

May 31, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #24,467 of 31,833

I want to get my younger brother some great sounding but inexpensive IEMS or earbuds. After looking around weird places like AliExpress and saw about 20 different versions of things like the fengrus and am a bit lost.

Gotta say it. The Tin T2 is STILL the under $50 benchmark for a reason.

May 31, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #24,468 of 31,833
Four and three will play together, respectively.

The effect is similar to a string section in an orchestra. Several violins together (even playing as identical as they can) have a smoother sound due to partial cancelling of their distinct upper harmonics. So more BAs is clearly better here, not even doing any special tuning.

A solo violinist plays vibrato to sound smoother (and more pleasing to an average audience) - along this direction is BA dampening, e.g. by Knowles. With those drivers, it is more quality over quantity.
Should I guess that a triple driver with one dynamic and 2 filtered Knowles BAs is more expensive than CA16's approach to solving harmonics related issues?

Edit: I remember one Amazon BA10 review rating 1 star because they separated the instruments more than they'd be in a live concert. I was the ONLY time I ever saw someone complaining about an IEM outperforming real life...

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #24,469 of 31,833
Should I guess that a triple driver with one dynamic and 2 filtered Knowles BAs is more expensive than CA16's approach to solving harmonics related issues?

Edit: I remember one Amazon BA10 review rating 1 star because they separated the instruments more than they'd be in a live concert. I was the ONLY time I ever saw someone complaining about an IEM outperforming real life...
Knowles are more expensive (the other drivers are often their knock-off copies...) In this configuration, I have Fiio 9 pro - they are very decent, but I much prefer KZ ZSX and CCA C12.

It is a very interesting opinion about BA10, thank you.
AS10 and BA10 are the first KZ all-BAs and the only ones with the 4-way crossover. After that KZ switched to a more common 3-way. AS10 were that got me into KZ and CCA. I really like how AS 10 sound. I started to appreciate BA10 more and more (other than their obnoxious fit of a brick). I listen largely to classical music, I am all into separating orchestral instruments more than in real life (I did not notice it specifically with BA10 but really like the idea) :)

May 31, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #24,470 of 31,833

I've heard the BA10 before and that is certainly not the case. But who knows how distorted the guy's

Gotta say it. The Tin T2 is STILL the under $50 benchmark for a reason.
When it was first released yes, but after the release of new KZ, CCA and Blon iems? Competition has gotten a lot stiffer.

May 31, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #24,471 of 31,833
Knowles are more expensive (the other drivers are often their knock-off copies...) In this configuration, I have Fiio 9 pro - they are very decent, but I much prefer KZ ZSX and CCA C12.

It is a very interesting opinion about BA10, thank you.
AS10 and BA10 are the first KZ all-BAs and the only ones with the 4-way crossover. After that KZ switched to a more common 3-way. AS10 were that got me into KZ and CCA. I really like how AS 10 sound. I started to appreciate BA10 more and more (other than their obnoxious fit of a brick). I listen largely to classical music, I am all into separating orchestral instruments more than in real life (I did not notice it specifically with BA10 but really like the idea) :)
The separating more than real life moniker is flawed. As is more detailed than real life (see Hyper detailed) and so on.

What is "real life"? How do you know how it sounds?

Unless you were there when the recording was made (example: hotel california), there is no point of reference. Even then there are so many factors like how far you were from the stage.

There's just a preference imo. Know what your preferences are and find the iem that best fits your taste.

Perhaps the guy was too used too cheap congested sounding gear and the BA10 was too "clear" for him.

May 31, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #24,472 of 31,833
The separating more than real life moniker is flawed. As is more detailed than real life (see Hyper detailed) and so on.

What is "real life"? How do you know how it sounds?

Unless you were there when the recording was made (example: hotel california), there is no point of reference. Even then there are so many factors like how far you were from the stage.

There's just a preference imo. Know what your preferences are and find the iem that best fits your taste.

Perhaps the guy was too used too cheap congested sounding gear and the BA10 was too "clear" for him.
So get the orchestra somehow, find the studio used to record the song and when they play, put yourself exactly where the microphone would be. I'd imagine only then we'll understand the true meaning of instrument separation... or at least that BA10 guy anyway.

I wonder how many people would love to see KZ resurrect the BA10 in a less than brick like shape. Because aside from that outlier, the only common complain I see is the fit. Or maybe just experiment with the 4 way crossover again.

May 31, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #24,473 of 31,833

CCA C12, KZ ZS10 Pro. The fit is very good and without issues for many people due to the shell size/shape. But the cable sucks. So it might include spending a few bucks for a less tangle-free style cable. Also, if you're a believer in changing cables, the stock cables have very high impedance usually. Some people here are fans of KZ starline tips which are included with both sets I believe. But someone can correct me if I'm wrong about the C12 even though I own them (I use other tips). I also enjoy the o-ring/spacer mod on the nozzle before attaching the ear tip. This prevents the ear tip from sliding the down the nozzle shaft creating a more spacious soundstage. Just make sure the tip is secure on the lip of the nozzle so that it doesn't come off in your ear when removing. For me, this works well with these two IEMs. If you're going with Aliexpress, you can probably swing either of these sets plus a cable for about $50 I would think.

May 31, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #24,474 of 31,833
So get the orchestra somehow, find the studio used to record the song and when they play, put yourself exactly where the microphone would be. I'd imagine only then we'll understand the true meaning of instrument separation... or at least that BA10 guy anyway.

I wonder how many people would love to see KZ resurrect the BA10 in a less than brick like shape. Because aside from that outlier, the only common complain I see is the fit. Or maybe just experiment with the 4 way crossover again.

I can't tell you how many times I've had the BA10 in either my Aliexpress or Amazon cart and somehow it just didn't get purchased because of that funky shell shape....

May 31, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #24,475 of 31,833

Even that's not possible as music is recorded with multiple mics then down sampled into two channels.

Jun 1, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #24,478 of 31,833
Real talk: would owning any of the following make sense for someone who has the Tin T2, ZSX, ZSN Pro, and Ikko OH-10?

Magaosi BK50
LZ A6 Mini
TRN BA5
Moondrop Starfield
KBEar Diamond
Can't speak for the first 3, but I'd say the Starfield is probably too close in tuning to the OH-10 to justify having both.

On the other hand, the Diamond makes sense to me. It is mildly V-shaped, so it's more colored than the Ikko or T2, and less colored (and better in general, to me at least) than the KZs. Very solid IEM for the price, and it doesn't get talked about enough.

Jun 1, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #24,479 of 31,833
so I'm planning on buying a new iem, and it seems like I cannot decide between some of them. here are my options:

LZ A6 Mini
FAAEAL Hibiscus
TFZ T2
TRI i4

would some of you guys comment on your experiences with these?

also my budget goes up 70 and I'm buying on AliExpress.

Jun 1, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #24,480 of 31,833
so I'm planning on buying a new iem, and it seems like I cannot decide between some of them. here are my options:

LZ A6 Mini
FAAEAL Hibiscus
TFZ T2
TRI i4

would some of you guys comment on your experiences with these?

also my budget goes up 70 and I'm buying on AliExpress.
I'd probably go with the A6 Mini or T2 Galaxy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back