CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Apr 13, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #23,776 of 31,867
Yes! I remember you commenting on the A6 earlier - I forgot about them. I don't really mind spending the extra for a significant upgrade!

Thank You!

The A6 is LZ's latest rendition of the A4 as far as I can tell and based on my Mini A6 I'm sure they are the fashizzle as well as being worth the extra $45 :thumbsup: Do keep in mind the A6 is a large iem so fitment could be a challenge but the right tips can remedy that for most.

Apr 13, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #23,777 of 31,867
The A6 is LZ's latest rendition of the A4 as far as I can tell and based on my Mini A6 I'm sure they are the fashizzle as well as being worth the extra $45 :thumbsup: Do keep in mind the A6 is a large iem so fitment could be a challenge but the right tips can remedy that for most.
Well, from what I can tell, I have extremely large ear canals. I'm not sure if that's the area of fit you're referring but I have to use 12-14mm foam tips, if so I may have a fighting chance for a decent fit. But this concern you raise tells me I need to buy them from a company that would make a return process very easy, especially at $240 - I ain't interested in keeping a $250 set of earphones that don't fit me! :sweat_smile:

Apr 13, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #23,778 of 31,867
Well, from what I can tell, I have extremely large ear canals. I'm not sure if that's the area of fit you're referring but I have to use 12-14mm foam tips, if so I may have a fighting chance for a decent fit. But this concern you raise tells me I need to buy them from a company that would make a return process very easy, especially at $240 - I ain't interested in keeping a $250 set of earphones that don't fit me! :sweat_smile:
I doubt that you will have problems with the size of the a6. How is the size of the shozy form 1.1? Is it big or small to you?

Apr 13, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #23,779 of 31,867
I doubt that you will have problems with the size of the a6. How is the size of the shozy form 1.1? Is it big or small to you?
The housing of the Shozy seems small to average to me but with large foam tips, the fit is better than anything I own; once they are inserted, "fit" never enters my mind again. I personally believe the "resin" form factor suits me better than an Urbanfun or Blon design so I would tend to "lean" towards this for a higher priced purchase, meaning it's highly doubtful I would buy something designed like the Blons if I were spending significant money, such as what I'm considering here. As long as the tube on the A6 is proper in depth, I doubt that they will be too big. But like I said, to be on the safe side, its probably more advantageous at this price point to purchase somewhere they can be easily returned - ...just in case

Apr 13, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #23,780 of 31,867
ADVICE REQUEST

It seems the COVID-19 lock-down is pushing me further into ChiFi addiction! Oh well! I'm ready to purchase another set and would like some thoughtful input from the community. Given my brief tenure in this hobby, I'd like to give myself a shot at a great set without any miss-steps if possible and I know this community can be very helpful if I provide adequate information. My budget will be anything up to $200.

BACKGROUND
a. First purchase - BLON-BLO3 - Love the sound but as previously mentioned in this forum, I do have "fit" issues. I will be addressing the fit issue with the mods @Slater recommend for extending their tube.
b. Second purchase - Shozy 1.1 - Really enjoyed the laid-back signature and fit. I could listen to these for hours but for my perception of accuracy, a little too laid-back. This was confirmed with the 3rd purchase.
c. Third purchase - UF YBF-ISS014 - My favorite of the three. I feel as if these have the best tonal balance, sound stage, imaging, air, and texture of the three. I love the bass even though its slightly elevated but wouldn't "freak-out" over a set with slightly less, more neutral base. They fit good too! Hopefully they will last and be problem free.

THE GOAL
I'm not interested in taking this hobby to the extreme, meaning, I will not likely get to $400-$1000 sets of IEMs as I'm not convinced I need that. I'm very attracted to the UF YBF-ISS014 and am wondering "what would build on this performance and really take it to the next level!" Is there anything worth buying up too $200 that would have a significant impact? It may not be possible. I certainly don't want to buy a $200 set of IEMs that offer 2% better performance. Hopefully this community can help me determine if there is a set under $200 worth purchasing given the information I've shared OR, if more expensive sets are required.

CURRENTLY CONSIDERING
1. Moondrop Starfield
2. ThieAudio Voyager 3
3. BGVP DMS
4. TFZ No.3
5. KBEAR Diamond

For $200 and under? If you’re a detail freak and are okay with less bass, the Tin Audio P1 with some foam tips or symbios are worth a shot. Hopefully, a P2 is in the works since these came out last year around June/July. Though it’s not Chi-Fi, the Etymotic ER2SE/XR could be in your list too for the price If you’re cool with the looks of the fit.

Apr 13, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #23,781 of 31,867
For $200 and under? If you’re a detail freak and are okay with less bass, the Tin Audio P1 with some foam tips or symbios are worth a shot. Hopefully, a P2 is in the works since these came out last year around June/July. Though it’s not Chi-Fi, the Etymotic ER2SE/XR could be in your list too for the price If you’re cool with the looks of the fit.
I would advise that @FuelMan if he is interested in the tin P1, to wait for the p2. There is too many factors that have a huge impact on sound with the P1 (fit, bass and power requirement). Hopefully the p2 solves the bass and fit issues, but doubt that the power requirement will get reduced since all planars need it.

Apr 13, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #23,782 of 31,867
Wow! Thanks for sharing these pictures. Sadly I'm not that good with soldering. But it gives me hope nonetheless to keep it open for modding.

You're welcome.
I was checking last weekend, and found that using an ADA-4627-1 (2x Mono SOIC-8 Op-Amps on DIP-8 header) in the socket, sounds really good with the MUSES8920E op-amps that are soldered on the back of the board.

Apr 13, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #23,783 of 31,867
I would advise that @FuelMan if he is interested in the tin P1, to wait for the p2. There is too many factors that have a huge impact on sound with the P1 (fit, bass and power requirement). Hopefully the p2 solves the bass and fit issues, but doubt that the power requirement will get reduced since all planars need it.
Ya know, I've always been intrigued by the P1 reviews but concluded the base may be a challenge. Not that I demand abnormal amounts but I have to admit, I do enjoy the "fun" of a slight elevation in this area, so for $169 I kind of put the thought out of my mind. I never really considered an newer version that may hit the market. I'm very interested to audition the technology but would likely wait until an updated version is available. I'm told that the Hiby R5 balanced output is right at 1 watt, would that be sufficient for something like the P1's? I mean I'm sure the more the better but I would think a watt would likely do it.

Apr 13, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #23,784 of 31,867
Just ordered this Reecho GY-07 as sort of a blind buy. A single BA bullet-style IEM for around 15 bucks seemed like a decent deal, esp given they apparently provided actual measurements (which don't look half bad). These also have an unusually high impedance of 65 ohms, so I'm really curious overall. Hopefully they won't take too long to arrive.

1586832798383.png
1586832931275.png

Apr 13, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #23,785 of 31,867
Just ordered this Reecho GY-07 as sort of a blind buy. A single BA bullet-style IEM for around 15 bucks seemed like a decent deal, esp given they apparently provided actual measurements (which don't look half bad). These also have an unusually high impedance of 65 ohms, so I'm really curious overall. Hopefully they won't take too long to arrive.

Exterior looks like a pirated Final Audio haha. The 3 kHz area hump looks a bit fierce though.

Let us know how it turns out, look forward to your impressions!!

Apr 13, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #23,786 of 31,867
Exterior looks like a pirated Final Audio haha. The 3 kHz area hump looks a bit fierce though.

Let us know how it turns out, look forward to your impressions!!

Haha, I almost mistook them for the E3000 at first glance. Yeah the graph seems to have almost 10dB differential from the lower-mids region, though the scaling of the graph is again rather odd (no one should listen to their IEMs at 120dB SPL and BA drivers have issues with high SPL so will be exhibiting odd behaviour at that volume). The graph also abruptly cuts off the bass response below 100Hz though looking at a single-BA config, won't hold much hopes about that.

Apr 13, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #23,787 of 31,867
ADVICE REQUEST

It seems the COVID-19 lock-down is pushing me further into ChiFi addiction! Oh well! I'm ready to purchase another set and would like some thoughtful input from the community. Given my brief tenure in this hobby, I'd like to give myself a shot at a great set without any miss-steps if possible and I know this community can be very helpful if I provide adequate information. My budget will be anything up to $200.

BACKGROUND
a. First purchase - BLON-BLO3 - Love the sound but as previously mentioned in this forum, I do have "fit" issues. I will be addressing the fit issue with the mods @Slater recommend for extending their tube.
b. Second purchase - Shozy 1.1 - Really enjoyed the laid-back signature and fit. I could listen to these for hours but for my perception of accuracy, a little too laid-back. This was confirmed with the 3rd purchase.
c. Third purchase - UF YBF-ISS014 - My favorite of the three. I feel as if these have the best tonal balance, sound stage, imaging, air, and texture of the three. I love the bass even though its slightly elevated but wouldn't "freak-out" over a set with slightly less, more neutral base. They fit good too! Hopefully they will last and be problem free.

THE GOAL
I'm not interested in taking this hobby to the extreme, meaning, I will not likely get to $400-$1000 sets of IEMs as I'm not convinced I need that. I'm very attracted to the UF YBF-ISS014 and am wondering "what would build on this performance and really take it to the next level!" Is there anything worth buying up too $200 that would have a significant impact? It may not be possible. I certainly don't want to buy a $200 set of IEMs that offer 2% better performance. Hopefully this community can help me determine if there is a set under $200 worth purchasing given the information I've shared OR, if more expensive sets are required.

CURRENTLY CONSIDERING
1. Moondrop Starfield
2. ThieAudio Voyager 3
3. BGVP DMS
4. TFZ No.3
5. KBEAR Diamond
The ikko OH10 is killer.

Apr 14, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #23,788 of 31,867
Come on everyone knows the second coming of Christ was the Rock Zircon :smirk:

YingYang.JPG

As far as the IDUN you may want to steer clear if you like bumpin" bass as the IDUN is one of the most Mid-Centric iem's I own of course I'm old school and the music truly does live in the Mid-Range. They are super detailed and their sub bass is nice but once again if you like full spectrum bass they would not be pick number one and maybe even up thru pick 5!

IDUN Blue.JPG
The Iduns are on their way. They should arrive this weekend. Thanks...

Apr 14, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #23,789 of 31,867

1586832798383.png1586832931275.png

Doesn’t look like a balanced armature in the exploded diagram:

F7F0FFFD-5388-4202-ADA5-1318A2C1E8AC.jpeg

Apr 14, 2020 at 1:10 AM Post #23,790 of 31,867
Doesn’t look like a balanced armature in the exploded diagram:

The description mentions Balanced Armature:
1586840900837.png

Also, the sideways X-ray view shows a BA driver:
1586840957063.png

On another note, if someone told me 5/6 years ago that BA drivers would become this cheap, would never have believed it haha.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back