CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Apr 7, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #23,718 of 31,833
Finally got my Shozy Form 1.1. Spent an hour or 2 with them in my ears and i quite like them. Nice bass and fun signature with enough details. Most reviews on Head-Fi show them with a black carrying case. I got a different case, it's a grey one which is clothed on the outside.
That is the new case for shozy ,I like it

Apr 7, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #23,720 of 31,833
how does this compare to the TRN BA5? Since both have similar 5 BAs.
i haven't yet spent the time to do a real comparison, but the TRN BA5 i have has occasional issues (probably moisture based), while the B5+ is absolutely problem free. B5+ also has best-in-class isolation, while the BA5's is kinda poor. i'll try to find time to do a real listen off and try to articulate the sound differences.

Apr 8, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #23,721 of 31,833
Finally got my Shozy Form 1.1. Spent an hour or 2 with them in my ears and i quite like them. Nice bass and fun signature with enough details. Most reviews on Head-Fi show them with a black carrying case. I got a different case, it's a grey one which is clothed on the outside.
I'd like to see a photo of that case when you have time. I have the black one and am curious.

Apr 8, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #23,722 of 31,833
I'd like to see a photo of that case when you have time. I have the black one and am curious.
B91F1FAB-B8C0-43EA-B900-184B873C67B3.jpeg154C8CDA-C1B3-4E29-9421-254B4F8A7BC6.jpeg

Apr 8, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #23,723 of 31,833
Thanks much! I like the new design. I love my 1.1's and fee that they are a great value given their performance, cable, and case. Extremely "easy" to listen to with a very pleasing signature. Good luck with yours - I hope they deliver years of enjoyment! :beerchug:

Apr 8, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #23,724 of 31,833
@Dcell7 I am curious as to the dimensions of the new case as I'm wondering if they made it smaller. My black case internal dimensions (internal) is roughly 2.5"W x 4"L x 1/2"D. I do like the "netting" in the original as it offers an opportunity to store tips, adapters, etc.
Shozy Case.jpg

Apr 8, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #23,725 of 31,833
@Dcell7 I am curious as to the dimensions of the new case as I'm wondering if they made it smaller. My black case internal dimensions (internal) is roughly 2.5"W x 4"L x 1/2"D. I do like the "netting" in the original as it offers an opportunity to store tips, adapters, etc.
Shozy Case.jpg

It is roughly 9cm x 7cm and the height is about 4.5cm. It is smaller compared to your case. As you can see in your own picture there is a lot of space when you have the IEMs in the case. In my picture there isn't much space left when i have rolled the IEMs up.

Apr 8, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #23,726 of 31,833
a more detailed comparison of the Hisenior B5+ vs the TRN BA5:

the most obvious difference is the tuning.
while not really v shaped, the BA5's bass and treble registers are quite forward. the mids are definitely still up front, but treble has a tiny step ahead. the B5+ on the other hand is fully mids first.

the bass on the BA5 is forward and the absolute tightest a balanced armature provides. the bass on the B5+ is behind, but definitely not missing. it is also not fully as tight as on the BA5, and therefore sounds more natural (though it still clearly ba bass).

the highs are the one particular register where the clearest difference is audible. the BA5 has a spike that makes a lot of percussion in particular have somewhat of a harsh quality, though it does gain the illusion of greater resolution from the pushed highs. the B5+'s highs, while still well detailed are behind the mids. they also have zero hint of any sort of harshness.

the mids are where the B5+ does its best work. throughout that range male and female voices, guitars and synths, everything in the mids range is detailed and at the front. mid range on the BA5 is also quite good, both male and female voices do quite well, though the mids are tiny half step behind the highs and some bass.

soundstage is wider on the BA5 (pretty wide actually). the B5+'s is only ok, but it has amazing isolation (and the BA5's isolation is kinda poor) and that's normally the tradeoff.

as to which i prefer, as much i love how insanely tight the bass on the BA5 sounds, and the thrill that comes from pushed bass and highs is very real, how harsh and sometimes a bit sibilant the highs sound make the BA5 ultimately a bit too fatigueing for me when im listening for hours at a stretch (which i do quite often). my preferred frequency response has the bass and treble a bit behind the mids, and the B5+ gives me that, along with quite good detail and the balanced armature sound across the entire spectrum. add that to a complete lack of anything that would cause any amount of fatigue, and the best isolation a uiem can provide (which is very useful on my walk to work), it's clear why the B5+ is my current favorite.

Apr 8, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #23,727 of 31,833
a more detailed comparison of the Hisenior B5+ vs the TRN BA5:

the most obvious difference is the tuning.
while not really v shaped, the BA5's bass and treble registers are quite forward. the mids are definitely still up front, but treble has a tiny step ahead. the B5+ on the other hand is fully mids first.

the bass on the BA5 is forward and the absolute tightest a balanced armature provides. the bass on the B5+ is behind, but definitely not missing. it is also not fully as tight as on the BA5, and therefore sounds more natural (though it still clearly ba bass).

the highs are the one particular register where the clearest difference is audible. the BA5 has a spike that makes a lot of percussion in particular have somewhat of a harsh quality, though it does gain the illusion of greater resolution from the pushed highs. the B5+'s highs, while still well detailed are behind the mids. they also have zero hint of any sort of harshness.

the mids are where the B5+ does its best work. throughout that range male and female voices, guitars and synths, everything in the mids range is detailed and at the front. mid range on the BA5 is also quite good, both male and female voices do quite well, though the mids are tiny half step behind the highs and some bass.

soundstage is wider on the BA5 (pretty wide actually). the B5+'s is only ok, but it has amazing isolation (and the BA5's isolation is kinda poor) and that's normally the tradeoff.

as to which i prefer, as much i love how insanely tight the bass on the BA5 sounds, and the thrill that comes from pushed bass and highs is very real, how harsh and sometimes a bit sibilant the highs sound make the BA5 ultimately a bit too fatigueing for me when im listening for hours at a stretch (which i do quite often). my preferred frequency response has the bass and treble a bit behind the mids, and the B5+ gives me that, along with quite good detail and the balanced armature sound across the entire spectrum. add that to a complete lack of anything that would cause any amount of fatigue, and the best isolation a uiem can provide (which is very useful on my walk to work), it's clear why the B5+ is my current favorite.

Thanks for the comparisons, super helpful stuff.
Agree with your findings of the Hisenior B5+, and it takes to EQ like a champ, so no biggie EQing certain areas like say if the bass seems lacking to you. Will give the TRN BA5 a miss then, am not really a fan of BA bass in general, and there seems to possibly be some QC issues with the BA5, but the Hisenior B5+ has survived my "wife ordered excess IEM cull" after all these months and will continue to do so haha.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020 at 2:08 AM Post #23,729 of 31,833
You've singlehandedly revived my inclination towards ordering these. Dammit :)
Yeah, me too... thanks nymPHONOmaniac. I gotta stop reading reviews by this guy Just ordered a pair myself, found a pair for $36 shipped in the US, couldn’t resist.
You've singlehandedly revived my inclination towards ordering these. Dammit :)
Yeah, me too... thanks nymPHONOmaniac. I gotta stop reading reviews by this guy :)wink:). I Just ordered a pair myself, fortunately, found a pair for $36 shipped in the US, couldn’t resist.

Apr 9, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #23,730 of 31,833
I am finding it extremely difficult to pull my attention away from this thread and others on Head Fi, and extremely difficult to resist buying many IEMs

Already in the couple months I have been here I have acquired:

Pioneer SE-CH4BL (x 2)
Sony MH755 (x 7)
Tin T2
Tin T4
BLON BL-03
CCA C12

My initial goal was to just read and learn and maybe try out a few IEMs very slowly as I learned about them, with the ultimate goal of discovering my "idea sound signature" (which I assumed would be "neutral" with "high isolation") and then buy a single set of over-ear headphones in with those specific characteristics. (I'd then keep the couple of pairs of IEMs I obtained for use on the go).

While I still have no idea what my "ideal sound signature" is, I am starting to believe that it is something closer to the Harman target curve, with good detail and imaging.

Yet, in this short time I have also picked up:

Topping DX3Pro V1
Radsone EarStudio ES100 MK2
AKG K275

...and I am feeling intrigued by some of the lower cost planar magnetic over-ear 'phones
...and trying hard to resist buying the TRN BA5
...and developing a wish-list a mile long

The problem with Chi-Fi is exactly as has been stated many times already: it's so easy to justify the purchase of a $20 or $30 IEM (e.g. "I'll just skip a dinner out"), and before you know it, you've purchased a dozen different IEMs without hardly the chance to give each a real critical listen before the next purchase.

All that said, I am having great fun with this, and have really enjoyed all the interactions I have had with this friendly community. Thanks to all who have helped me out with advice, impressions, feedback, suggestions, etc!
Yeah, I feel your pain, that was my intention also...up to 9 iems now with another “potential” in the works... whew. But this is fun and interesting, and way cheaper than my previous occupation of collecting stereo equipment. Plus, a big plus too, with a bunch of great people to gather info from.
Fun, fun, fun, ‘till daddy takes the t-bird away...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back