CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Mar 28, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #23,551 of 31,845
I'm only getting a couple of TWS during this AE sale. ' Whizzer C3 and Edifier Tws200 '. After stepping into the mid-tier last year(dropped 1grand on 4 IEMs), I decided to check out following multiple underwhelming experience. They're good but not awesome! The extra ounce of micro-detail/Bass did not elevated the overall enjoyment, so I regressed... :]

Ps. Granted I'm one of the stubborn guys who refused getting a dedicated player & only using IEMs on my phone & laptop.

Hope the world will soon be back to the normal pace again. Stay healthy everyone!!

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #23,552 of 31,845
Shozy Form 1.1 (ordered before the sales started but with a coupon and some coins i got a 10 dollar discount). Hiby W3 and a Tempotec Sonata HD Pro. Still browsing around :ksc75smile:

Mar 28, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #23,553 of 31,845
Ps. Granted I'm one of the stubborn guys who refused getting a dedicated player & only using IEMs on my phone & laptop.

That is holding you back for sure. Especially when you have higher tier earphones.

At LEAST get something like the Radsone ES100, which will allow you to still use your phone and laptop, but with seriously upgraded sound/capabilities. Hands down the $75 I’ve ever spent in this hobby, and I know many others who say the exact same thing.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #23,554 of 31,845
I'm only getting a couple of TWS during this AE sale. ' Whizzer C3 and Edifier Tws200 '. After stepping into the mid-tier last year(dropped 1grand on 4 IEMs), I decided to check out following multiple underwhelming experience. They're good but not awesome! The extra ounce of micro-detail/Bass did not elevated the overall enjoyment, so I regressed... :]

Hope the world will soon be back to the normal pace again. Stay healthy everyone!!

Yeah having owned a few midfi tier IEMs and auditioned a few more, I gotta agree in general the midfi gear are better than budget CHIFI, but not by a lot. The diminishing returns is tremendous, like one would need to pay 10 times more for a 10 - 20% improvement. Is that worth it? That's pretty subjective, and everyone has their own comfort level when it comes to spending on this hobby, more so now in uncertain times for our economy due to the coronavirus. Some of the midfi tier gear may be even worse than recent CHIFI releases eg Sennheiser IEMs. Their headphones are still good but having tried a few of their IEMs, I gotta say save your money and get some budget to midfi CHIFI.

I gotta agree with @Slater though, with midfi IEMs, your source is gonna be the bottleneck in the audio chain. It doesn't cost much nowadays to get a small profile dongle USB amp/DAC or even sub $100 DAP. It does let your midfi gear scale better. Unless your phone has a good built in DAC like the LGV series, there is a difference with using laptops to drive your music. Actually nowadays I can't listen to music on my laptop now without a dongle/amp, my ears have been spoilt. The soundstage, details, clarity and lower hiss/noise floor is quite apparent if you do switch from a laptop to some of these better sources.

Mar 28, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #23,555 of 31,845
That is holding you back for sure. Especially when you have higher tier earphones.

At LEAST get something like the Radsone ES100, which will allow you to still use your phone and laptop, but with seriously upgraded sound/capabilities. Hands down the $75 I’ve ever spent in this hobby, and I know many others who say the exact same thing.

I do have entry gears like LG V35, Shanling M0, and a couple of DAC dongles. I simply don't like the idea of carrying an extra phone sized square around for music purpose alone. Guess I never intended to be an audiophile after all lol. I really think the overall package of wireless buds are offering a superior experience (Sonic performance can be adequate even at the sub-$50 lineups nowadays). That's why I'm getting rid of most of my IEMs, with a few exceptions of course. In-Ears are slowly moving toward the position of the traditional Earbuds, and the trend is Unfortunately real :frowning2:

Mar 28, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #23,556 of 31,845
I do have entry gears like LG V35, Shanling M0, and a couple of DAC dongles. I simply don't like the idea of carrying an extra phone sized square around for music purpose alone. Guess I never intended to be an audiophile after all lol. I really think the overall package of wireless buds are offering a superior experience (Sonic performance can be adequate even at the sub-$50 lineups nowadays). That's why I'm getting rid of most of my IEMs, with a few exceptions of course. In-Ears are slowly moving toward the position of the traditional Earbuds, and the trend is Unfortunately real :frowning2:

ES100 is not phone sized. It’s about the size of your car key remote. About 2”X1.25”. It has a clip that can be clipped to stuff - your bag or clothing, etc. Or you can just tuck it inside your pocket.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #23,557 of 31,845
Since the earphone socket on my phone went faulty the ES100 is a godsend

Mar 28, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #23,558 of 31,845
ES100 is not phone sized. It’s about the size of your car key remote. About 2”X1.25”. It has a clip that can be clipped to stuff - your bag or clothing, etc. Or you can just tuck it inside your pocket.

I already have Shanling M0 for exercise etc. Thought about the ES100, but the exclusion of Type C connecter on MK2 was pretty uninspiring. I do have adapters but trying to somewhat limit the purchase of micro-usb devices if I can. I'm getting the Edifier Tws200, only because I want another airpods-shaped buds with Qualcomm chipset. Edifier makes quality budget products so that's a bonus as well.

Mar 28, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #23,559 of 31,845
I gotta agree with @Slater though, with midfi IEMs, your source is gonna be the bottleneck in the audio chain. It doesn't cost much nowadays to get a small profile dongle USB amp/DAC or even sub $100 DAP. It does let your midfi gear scale better. Unless your phone has a good built in DAC like the LGV series, there is a difference with using laptops to drive your music. Actually nowadays I can't listen to music on my laptop now without a dongle/amp, my ears have been spoilt. The soundstage, details, clarity and lower hiss/noise floor is quite apparent if you do switch from a laptop to some of these better sources.
Amusingly the improvements in sound quality were a (very enjoyable) side effect of the primary reason I got my Audioengine D3 USB dongle. The sound in my previous laptop was actually pretty decent but as it got older it was having to work harder to keep up and I was getting CPU/GPU interference when they were under strain. New laptop has none of that but the audio isn't quite as good (also I'm way more spoil't now) so the dongle stays. :p (Also amusingly I ended up getting an iFi Ear Buddy to de-amp the D3 because ow loud.)

I occasionally eye one of the FiiO Bluetooth dongles or the ES100 but I'd get so little use out of it I keep *just* eyeing them (for phone usage, primarily). Do have the Apple USB C headphone adapter though, so I'm not *completely* ignoring the mobile side of things... <-<

Mar 29, 2020 at 1:47 AM Post #23,560 of 31,845
Since the earphone socket on my phone went faulty the ES100 is a godsend

Not too mention you also get the option of using balanced cable which most iem's benefit from imo :beerchug:

Mar 29, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #23,561 of 31,845
I already have Shanling M0 for exercise etc. Thought about the ES100, but the exclusion of Type C connecter on MK2 was pretty uninspiring. I do have adapters but trying to somewhat limit the purchase of micro-usb devices if I can. I'm getting the Edifier Tws200, only because I want another airpods-shaped buds with Qualcomm chipset. Edifier makes quality budget products so that's a bonus as well.
You might want to take a look at the new FiiO BTR5 and its reviews. Seems to be a solid value at $119 Amazon

Mar 29, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #23,562 of 31,845
I'm not seeing that many great deals on IEMs during this AliExpress Sale. This could just be my lack of experience but after researching typical prices, I'm not seeing that many great "value" buys. The KBEAR Diamond is about the best deal I've seen given it's normal price of $85-$89usd (Amazon) - It can be had for $69usd (before any coupon stacking) and they're providing a free KBEAR 8 or 16 core cable (probably $10-15 value compared to current sale prices), which, depending on your perspective, translates to roughly $54 or $59 dollars net on the Diamonds, about a $20-$25 discount compared to average Diamond pricing. Seems like an easy choice so why not? Hopefully I'll be able to try them within 30-days without delay.

The variety of cables and prices during this sale appears to provide great value so picked-up some new 4/8/16 core cables to pair nicely with my new Hiby R5 that should arrive Monday - am EXTREMELY excited to experience the increase in performance! :beerchug:

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #23,563 of 31,845
Lz a6 mini is a great deal.

Mar 29, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #23,564 of 31,845
Mar 29, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #23,565 of 31,845
YES! - I'm TRYING to restrain myself but am likely going to have to take advantage of it as well.
ops sorry for your wallet then :sweat_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back