CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Apr 25, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #17,552 of 31,863
I am possibly looking for a backup set of IEMs to my DM6. Kinna going between the CCA C10, Tin Audio T2, and T2 pro (source is a FiiO M9). I'm leaning towards the T2 Pro since it has mmcx connection. Any suggestions or is there another set of IEMs to look into.

Apr 25, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #17,556 of 31,863
I backed them up with a second set myself.....one day they will just go away or be difficult to rebuy so for the money I got extra...even slightly cheaper the second time.

Apr 25, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #17,557 of 31,863
It was briefly discussed a long time ago, when KZ switched from the grey color to the black color. But it’s not a topic that comes up too often.

Believe it or not, there’s actually 3 different Starlines.

The original grey ones are ‘thick’, and are made from a stiffer silicone. It also has a ‘grainy’ surface texture to them that seems to grip my ear canals better and stay in place.

The original black ones are basically like the grey ones. Still the same thickness and grainy texture. The difference (besides the color) is that the silicone is a little softer. Not much, but definitely noticeable.

The ‘new’ Starlines are black as well, but noticeably thinner and made from much softer and more flexible silicone. I think they 1st came on the ZS4 but I don’t remember for sure. I have seen them on other models since the ZS4.

The newest black ones are the most comfortable to me, due to being thinner and more flexible.

Hopefully, we’ll be able to buy the newest ones separately. If and when that happens, you unfortunately wouldn’t be able to tell which is which from seller photos though. You’d have to examine the newer black ones in person (side by side with the original black ones) to make sure.

I am not sure if there’s a sound difference between the 3 versions. In theory there should be. But I’d suspect the difference is small. The external size, overall shape, and inner bore is the same.

The primary difference is comfort. The newest black one is most comfortable to me, but it slides out easier. The old grey one stays in place like kung fu death grip.

Thanks for the detailed response. Shame I tossed all my starlines (recently obtained and old) in size-sorted bags. That also includes some 30 pairs I ordered on eBay lol. When I have the time I'll see if I can find the softer ones, I like soft tips!

Apr 25, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #17,558 of 31,863
Thanks for the detailed response. Shame I tossed all my starlines (recently obtained and old) in size-sorted bags. That also includes some 30 pairs I ordered on eBay lol. When I have the time I'll see if I can find the softer ones, I like soft tips!

BTW, I just looked more carefully at the newest soft black ones, and I noticed 4 additional differences:

1. They have a larger bore than the other 2 Starlines. It’s not by much, but it is larger. I will get out my calipers and see exactly how much bigger.

2. The core is made for a slightly larger IEM. In other words, the 2 older Starlines will fit smaller sized nozzles. This new one is made for a larger IEM nozzle. For example, on the EDR1, the older 2 Starlines fit tightly and will definitely not come off. The newest Starline fits loosely, and can pop off. This isn’t a problem for the IEMs the newest Starline comes stock on (ZSN, ZS4), but it could be an issue for us tip rollers.

3. The ‘star’ notches at the end are not as deep or pronounced.

4. The newest Starlines come to a sharp point at the very end of the eartip outlet, whereas the 2 older Starlines look like the end of the eartip was sanded off and is flat.

I will post photos later to show what I’m talking about.

Apr 25, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #17,560 of 31,863
May I ask which store did you order from or know any reputable store? I ordered from NiceHCK in Jan.27 and still have not received it as yet. I asked Jim (owner) to re-send it without avail and he kept extending purchase protection date. I'll never ever order anything from this store again.

While I agree that’s a long shipping time, NiceHCK is one of the best and most reputable audio sellers on Aliexpress.

It’s not like Jim is paddling a boat to your house and delivering it to your doorstep in person. Once he hands it over to the shipper (China Post, USPS, etc), it’s their job. You should really be upset at them or your country’s customs, not NiceHCK. Customs is notorious for sitting on packages for weeks or even months.

Next time I would recommend a better/faster shipping method - ePacket, DHL, express, etc.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #17,561 of 31,863
May I ask which store did you order from or know any reputable store? I ordered **** from NiceHCK in Jan.27 and still have not received it as yet. I asked Jim (owner) to re-send it without avail and he kept extending purchase protection date. I'll never ever order anything from this store again.
I actually ordered from them on 3/29 and it took about 3 weeks to get to me this time. You should contact them again through Ali.

Apr 25, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #17,562 of 31,863
Thanks guys for the responses, I did an impulse buy on AE since it was cheap. If I don't like them I can pass it on to my teenage boys and look onward to something else.

+1 **** are phenomenal for such a low price...!

I backed them up with a second set myself.....one day they will just go away or be difficult to rebuy so for the money I got extra...even slightly cheaper the second time.

Apr 25, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #17,563 of 31,863
While I agree that’s a long shipping time, NiceHCK is one of the best and most reputable audio sellers on Aliexpress. It’s not like Jim is paddling a boat to your house and delivering it to your doorstep in person. Once he hands it over to the shipper (China Post, USPS, etc), it’s their job. You should really be upset at them or your country’s customs, not NiceHCK. Customs is notorious for sitting on packages for months.

Next time I would recommend a better/faster shipping method - ePacket, DHL, express, etc.

They are an excellent shop. One of the very best I have ever dealt with in all my years of Aliexpress purchases.

Fastest ever shipping via " Aliexpress Standard Shipping " from them was just under 6 days ! ( Most Aliexpress packages arrive 8~21 days upon seller shipping out of item )

Apr 25, 2019 at 10:57 PM Post #17,564 of 31,863
They are an excellent shop. One of the very best I have ever dealt with in all my years of Aliexpress purchases.

Fastest ever shipping via " Aliexpress Standard Shipping " from them was just under 6 days ! ( Most Aliexpress packages arrive 8~21 days upon seller shipping out of item )

Yup, it’s clear who the boneheads are in this case

980ACFA3-9C25-4638-A123-A5F87021955E.gif

Apr 26, 2019 at 1:24 AM Post #17,565 of 31,863
BTW, I just looked more carefully at the newest soft black ones, and I noticed 4 additional differences:

1. They have a larger bore than the other 2 Starlines. It’s not by much, but it is larger. I will get out my calipers and see exactly how much bigger.

2. The core is made for a slightly larger IEM. In other words, the 2 older Starlines will fit smaller sized nozzles. This new one is made for a larger IEM nozzle. For example, on the EDR1, the older 2 Starlines fit tightly and will definitely not come off. The newest Starline fits loosely, and can pop off. This isn’t a problem for the IEMs the newest Starline comes stock on (ZSN, ZS4), but it could be an issue for us tip rollers.

3. The ‘star’ notches at the end are not as deep or pronounced.

4. The newest Starlines come to a sharp point at the very end of the eartip outlet, whereas the 2 older Starlines look like the end of the eartip was sanded off and is flat.

I will post photos later to show what I’m talking about.

Nice. I expect to have a huge hangover Saturday so I'll check if I can sort out the different starlines then and check if they result in noticable sonic diffetences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back