CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Mar 29, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #8,387 of 31,833
I received my bag of 16 pairs of Tennmak Turbo / Whirlwind tips the other day. They have almost completely changed my opinion of the Tin Audio T2, especially when I use it with my laptop and Fiio Q1. I have been less than enthused about these for classical music because of a midrange hump. However, the tips help with that and the DAC/Amp really opens them up. Now I understand what all the fuss is about! However, my cables are starting to turn green...

Oh, I also received my pair of UISII CM5's, but have not had much time to listen to them yet.

Mar 29, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #8,389 of 31,833
Sure friend, hope that helps. That’s gotta be a total bummer for your girlfriend.

The point is that you can get an IEM that is close, then use the techniques I mentioned to further tweak it until she’s happy with the results. It’s definitely going to require a bit of tweaking, because as mentioned above, manufacturers don’t intentionally put out headphones/earphones with no treble.

Also consider earbuds as option. Since they don’t seal in the ear canal, a lot of energy is lost that would otherwise be blasting her eardrum. Same rules apply though - stay away from drivers that have diaphragms of graphene, titanium, and beryllium
I did a bit of looking around and it seems as though most drivers use graphene or titanium, or just do not specify what they use.

I did find a pair of VSonic GR07 that have a single dynamic driver and use a "390 layer composite Bio-cellulose diaphragm"....whatever that is..
That might be worth a look.

Mar 29, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #8,390 of 31,833
Thanks, actually there is something very specific I need if you could help please....
My girlfriend has Hyperacusis (very high sensitivity/pain to high freq) and needs very dark earphones.
Music is very important to her but she can rarely listen to it anymore because everything is too bright
Sure friend, hope that helps. That’s gotta be a total bummer for your girlfriend.

The point is that you can get an IEM that is close, then use the techniques I mentioned to further tweak it until she’s happy with the results. It’s definitely going to require a bit of tweaking, because as mentioned above, manufacturers don’t intentionally put out headphones/earphones with no treble.

Also consider earbuds as option. Since they don’t seal in the ear canal, a lot of energy is lost that would otherwise be blasting her eardrum. Same rules apply though - stay away from drivers that have diaphragms of graphene, titanium, and beryllium

Dumb question @Slater, What about taking a Zs6 and cutting the line to the BAs in the nozzle and leaving the Dynamics in play? I was thinking with the case being as easy as it is to disassemble it might be an easy option. what do you think as you have done more Kz surgery than most.

Mar 29, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #8,391 of 31,833
I did a bit of looking around and it seems as though most drivers use graphene or titanium, or just do not specify what they use.

I did find a pair of VSonic GR07 that have a single dynamic driver and use a "390 layer composite Bio-cellulose diaphragm"....whatever that is..
Chances are if they do not say, they are the type you are after as titanium, Beryllium etc command a premium and are a point in marketing.

Mar 29, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #8,392 of 31,833

Bio-cellulose diaphragms is what sony used before and what vsonic's been using in the gr07. There is a reason why gr07 has of a legendary status and most of the chi-fi stuff is just the flavorof the month. In fact vsonic vsd5s has berylliym drivers and is cheaper, so It's not only about the material used. In fact when people talk about the new rage graphene drivers they need to realize that it's not the entire drivers but the diaphragms and that 99.9% of the manufacturers just use cheap graphene spray and do not actually make the diaphragms out of it.

And I'll repeat myself - a lot of the newcomers here should be buying something like the gr07 instead of jumping on hype trains and caring about the number of drivers used in iems that have close to zero R&D

Mar 29, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #8,393 of 31,833

Can she wear earbuds? If so and you are in the US I have several Monk + sitting around at home never used(I'd call them dark others can provide any additional info), I can send you one to try and see if that works before you spend any money on anything? Just let me know.

Mar 29, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #8,394 of 31,833
i picked a few budget iems and even +$100 but i am recently very very impressed with the VJJB-K4 , the build is very good with wood and the sound, wow trumps all iems i have with there detail. they are truly a gem!!

Yeah, K4 is a fun little IEM. Has a nice smooth and fun sound. It’s not the most analytical, but it’s built well and I enjoy mine. And it sure is good looking:)

Mar 29, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #8,395 of 31,833
Bio-cellulose diaphragms is what sony used before and what vsonic's been using in the gr07. There is a reason why gr07 has of a legendary status and most of the chi-fi stuff is just the flavorof the month. In fact vsonic vsd5s has berylliym drivers and is cheaper, so It's not only about the material used. In fact when people talk about the new rage graphene drivers they need to realize that it's not the entire drivers but the diaphragms and that 99.9% of the manufacturers just use cheap graphene spray and do not actually make the diaphragms out of it.

And I'll repeat myself - a lot of the newcomers here should be buying something like the gr07 instead of jumping on hype trains and caring about the number of drivers used in iems that have close to zero R&D

I agree that the Vsonic Gr07 is quite venerated, but then again, so is the Etymotics single BA and both are, at this point, outdated. What's worse is that Vsonic seems perfectly happy being stuck in 2012. For the same money as the GR07 (about $100) you can now get more detail, cleaner bass, better mids, and a larger soundstage in the Ibasso IT01. While I agree that jumping on every hype train is a great way to spend money without getting a better product, I also think that ignoring all the new models because you like an older one is a great way to stagnate and cost people more than need be because to get what the it01 offers in 2013 money would have meant recommending the ie800 and spending $600.

Mar 29, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #8,396 of 31,833
Yeah, K4 is a fun little IEM. Has a nice smooth and fun sound. It’s not the most analytical, but it’s built well and I enjoy mine. And it sure is good looking:)

sure they are, i am having so much fun getting these sub $100 iems and compare them, this page is great. any suggestions on an analytical set that sounds great for classical music with detail retrieval that i can try cos so far i found them all on the warmer side and im after a nice detailed one.

Mar 29, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #8,397 of 31,833
Dumb question @Slater, What about taking a Zs6 and cutting the line to the BAs in the nozzle and leaving the Dynamics in play? I was thinking with the case being as easy as it is to disassemble it might be an easy option. what do you think as you have done more Kz surgery than most.

That’s is actually a good idea. But it would be too much work, and has the risk of cutting the wrong wires. When you open the ZS6, it’s like a spaghetti mess of wires.

Not really advisable for a non-modder.

With that said, I know which ZS6 wires go to which drivers. My FR measurement microphone broke, but I have a replacement on the way. As soon as it arrives, I will unsolder the BA drivers and measure to see exactly what the FR difference would be.

Mar 29, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #8,398 of 31,833
In fact when people talk about the new rage graphene drivers they need to realize that it's not the entire drivers but the diaphragms and that 99.9% of the manufacturers just use cheap graphene spray and do not actually make the diaphragms out of it.

No one has that yet except ORA.

And yes, bio-cellulose is awesome. Unfortunately the OP has a girlfriend with a specific medical condition, and she needs something with basically zero treble. That severely limits her choices.

Mar 29, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #8,399 of 31,833
That’s what I meant. Still their answer is somewhat... uncomfortable. ‘We will try our best to change for you.’
Well, that's unfortunate. I hope they send the proper one (BGVP DS1 V1/TN Forum version)...Is there any way to know which version it is without having both to compare? I seriously don't need another IEM that doesn't get any usage..

Mar 29, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #8,400 of 31,833
sure they are, i am having so much fun getting these sub $100 iems and compare them, this page is great. any suggestions on an analytical set that sounds great for classical music with detail retrieval that i can try cos so far i found them all on the warmer side and im after a nice detailed one.

That sound signature and genre really isn’t my forte. I can think of a few that I would go with, but honestly it’s best if I defer a proper recommendation to others more qualified with classical music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back