CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Mar 27, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #8,206 of 31,868
If you haven't heard what a BA versus DD driver sounds like see if you can get a listen to the Brainwavz B150. From what you're describing I think you may like how they sound. Their B100 model is also a single full range BA but supposedly tuned more for popular sound, the V is deeper and wider. Whereas to me the B150, excluding a weak sub bass is just slightly U shaped. I enjoy how they sound but there is a different feel to the sound because of the BA vs DD driver.
I’ve only ever tried DD. I plan on starting a collection, because I’d really like to not have to listen to the same sound every day. I’ve been using Mee Audio M6 Pros for a while now

Mar 27, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #8,207 of 31,868
Zs3 is a bit bass heavy but would probably fit the bill as an ATE substitute with a removable cable. That or wait for the Zs4 to release.

Mar 27, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #8,208 of 31,868
KZ ATE or ATR would pair great with jazz, due to their natural tone, warm sound, and good soundstage. Treble on both of those is right on target with what you described you're looking for.

You won't believe the price you paid once you hear them!

Both models use the same drivers now, so get whatever one is cheaper. However, no matter which you get please don't use the stock hard foam tips they come with, as they're horrible beyond words. Tip roll and you'll definitely find a better tip than the stock turds - Comply style foam, Auvios, wide bore turbo/whirlwinds, SpinFits, double flange, etc.
Those look great. I’ve been interested in KZ, but I couldn’t find much info on them. What would you recommend that I start with for tips? I’ve been using the triple flange silicones on my Mee Audio M6 Pros. I couldn’t get the Comply tips to seal

Mar 27, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #8,209 of 31,868
Received the TRN V20s today. Haven't spent a lot of time with them but enough to tell that compared to the TRN V10 the treble has been tamed, the dip in the mids has been corrected and the V10s nice bass seems to have mostly been retained. The cable on the V20 at first glace appeared to be the same as on the V10 but on closer inspection the cable is twisted differently and the individual strands on the V20 cable are of a slightly smaller diameter. I opted for the red V20 and found when I opened the box that they were a lot brighter red than I was expecting and no where close to the colour as shown on the box. I really liked the look and fit of the V10. The V20 unfortunately has cheaper look although it does seem to be well built. For me the V20 however just doesn't have the quality appearance that the V10 has. If TRN produces a V10 version 2 with tuning like the V20 I would certainly purchase it.

Mar 27, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #8,210 of 31,868
Those look great. I’ve been interested in KZ, but I couldn’t find much info on them. What would you recommend that I start with for tips? I’ve been using the triple flange silicones on my Mee Audio M6 Pros. I couldn’t get the Comply tips to seal

Well, like a lot of ChiFi manufacturers, KZ doesn't really have a website. It's kind of all word of mouth, social media, reviews, etc. Kind of a guerilla-style marketing philosophy.

The treasure trove of KZ knowledge is here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/knowledge-zenith-kz-impressions-thread.698148/

And lots of KZ reviews on the review section of HeadFi, as well as great websites such as:
Many of us on HeadFi own dozens upon dozens of KZs, including 'vintage' models stretching back to KZ's earliest days.

Anyways, to answer your question, what I was getting at regarding the tips is referred to as "tip rolling". You can change the sound, fit, and isolation of an IEM by testing different tips. They each have their own strengths and weakenesses, and a tips that works great on 1 IEM may work terribly on another. It's all about trying different tips and finding one you like. Very often, if not always, the tips included by the manufacturer aren't the "ideal" tip for you.

The good news is that tips are relatively cheap. Besides an assortment of tips coming with every IEM you get, you can buy sets of replacement tips of various design and construction (usually for a dollar or 2 tops). Before you know it, you can amass a tip collection of dozens if not hundreds of tips LOL.

There's a few threads on HF dedicated to just tips.

Some of the favorite/most common tips around here are as follows (there are many, many more though).

Silicone:
  • KZ Starline (grey and black versions)
  • KZ Turbo/Whirlwind wide bore
  • KZ "red core" narrow bore
  • Auvio wide bore
  • Tennmak Turbo/Whirlwind wide bore (better construction than the KZ version)
  • Double flange
  • Triple flange (aka Xmas tree)
  • Sony Hybrid
  • SpinFit
  • JVC Spiral Dots
  • New Bee (assortment kit)
Foam:
  • Comply (genuine)
  • Foam "ball" comply-style (slow and fast rebound)
  • Foam "wedge" comply-style (slow and fast rebound)
  • New Bee (foam kit)
Silicone/Foam hybrid:
  • DIY version
  • Sony version (impossible to find anymore)
  • Symbio
As far as where to buy them, that varies. You can get them from Aliexpress, Gearbest, Amazon, ebay, and many other places. In some cases (Comply, Symbio, Auvio, SpinFit) you have to get them from dealers or certain places. For example, Auvio is a RadioShack brand, so you can get them at Radio Shack's brick and mortar stores, their website, or from 3rd party sellers on eBay.

Note that some tips are sized to fit certain nozzle bores (every IEM is different). Silicone tips are the most forgiving - they will stretch to fit massive nozzle bores. Others, like Comply and the "comply-style" foams, are much less forgiving, and you should really buy the correct size for the nozzle.

My personal recommendation is to start with a set of KZ Starlines, a New Bee assortment kit, some double flange, and a set of KZ Turbo wide bores. That would give you a decent tip rolling selection, good for a lot of different IEMs, for a $5-$8 total investment. Then as you get more comfortable, and determine what you like and dislike, you can branch out to other tips. Some tips on that list are much more expensive ($5-$10/pair), so that's why I recommended you start with the basics until you figure out what you like.

Remember, you can get tips many different places, but here's just one set of links for the tips I recommended above (from sellers I have personally used and recommend):

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #8,211 of 31,868
Received the TRN V20s today. Haven't spent a lot of time with them but enough to tell that compared to the TRN V10 the treble has been tamed, the dip in the mids has been corrected and the V10s nice bass seems to have mostly been retained. The cable on the V20 at first glace appeared to be the same as on the V10 but on closer inspection the cable is twisted differently and the individual strands on the V20 cable are of a slightly smaller diameter. I opted for the red V20 and found when I opened the box that they were a lot brighter red than I was expecting and no where close to the colour as shown on the box. I really liked the look and fit of the V10. The V20 unfortunately has cheaper look although it does seem to be well built. For me the V20 however just doesn't have the quality appearance that the V10 has. If TRN produces a V10 version 2 with tuning like the V20 I would certainly purchase it.

So basically 'OK, but not that great'?

Mar 27, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #8,212 of 31,868
I'm looking to sidegrade from my Tin Audio T2 and KZ ZS5 (V1) with cheap IEMs during the Aliexpress sale because... Head-Fi. Seems like the NiceHCK Bro/"name that rhymes with "'BinShoe'" Pro (are there any differences between the two in terms of tuning? I'm getting mixed reception around the web regarding how similar they sound) and Yersen FEN-2000 are right up my alley; I'm looking for 2 IEMs...:

- ...Both of which have a detachable MMCX cable
- ...Both of which are strictly $25 CAD or under...
- ...One having a relatively neutral sig (some brightness is fine, and maybe something a bit bassier than the Tin Audio T2... I'm not taping the holes of the T2 with blu-tack, no thanks) and the other with a more V-shaped and analytical sig. I'd like both to have an excellent soundstage and better isolation than the T2s (most of what I listen to can't exactly drown out noise that well even at high volumes)

Can any of you kindly speak for the IEMs I've suggested for myself providing the sigs I've named? Any other IEMs you can suggest instead?

Thank you very much in advance!!!

Mar 27, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #8,213 of 31,868
Hey all,

Looking at getting some Tin Audio T2's in the sale tomorrow, and was wondering what are good eartips that go well with them?

Saw a big discussion, linked earlier in this thread I think, about the Tennmak Turbo/Whirlwind tips being excellent. Would they be a good option to pair with the T2's? Or are the one's supplied with the T2 good enough?

As a quick second note, there's a fair few sellers of the T2's on Aliexpress. Would anyone be able to recommend/link me to the best one to buy from tomorrow?

Cheers!

I usually don't like foams but they go so well with T2 for 2 reasons: they don't make the sound worse like they often do with IEMs, in fact, they tame the brightness ever so slightly compared to silicone tips and they keep them in my ears better - there will be no vacuum effect with T2 due to a front vent meaning that silicone tips do not create a seal that holds them in place while foams provide a lot of friction to hold them nicely requiring only slight adjustments from time to time.

T2 are all genuine and you can't go wrong. A bunch of sellers have them so find the lowest price for you (this won't be the same for everyone, shipping costs will vary), check user reviews just to make sure and that's it. I would also suggest checking latest reviews and photos in them just to make sure that you will be getting a unit from second batch (more tips and a white cable instead of beige one) but this is not mandatory as there is no difference in terms of sound/build quality.

Mar 27, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #8,214 of 31,868
I'm looking to sidegrade from my Tin Audio T2 and KZ ZS5 (V1) with cheap IEMs during the Aliexpress sale because... Head-Fi.

Can any of you kindly speak for the IEMs I've suggested for myself providing the sigs I've named? Any other IEMs you can suggest instead?

Thank you very much in advance!!!

You got some nice IEMs there already. Some would argue they are among the top <$50 budget IEMs.

But since you're looking for a side grade, I would recommend the KZ ZSR as a side grade to the ZS5 v1 - v-shaped, analytical, bassier than T2, excellent soundstage.

As far as something for a sidegrade to the T2 - I would consider the Brainwavz B100 (although not available on Aliexpress). I was quite impressed with the one I heard.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #8,215 of 31,868
I usually don't like foams but they go so well with T2 for 2 reasons: they don't make the sound worse like they often do with IEMs, in fact, they tame the brightness ever so slightly compared to silicone tips and they keep them in my ears better - there will be no vacuum effect with T2 due to a front vent meaning that silicone tips do not create a seal that holds them in place while foams provide a lot of friction to hold them nicely requiring only slight adjustments from time to time.

T2 are all genuine and you can't go wrong. A bunch of sellers have them so find the lowest price for you (this won't be the same for everyone, shipping costs will vary), check user reviews just to make sure and that's it. I would also suggest checking latest reviews and photos in them just to make sure that you will be getting a unit from second batch (more tips and a white cable instead of beige one) but this is not mandatory as there is no difference in terms of sound/build quality.

Any recommended foams that can be purchased from ALI?

Mar 27, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #8,216 of 31,868
You got some nice IEMs there already. Some would argue they are among the top <$50 budget IEMs.

But since you're looking for a side grade, I would recommend the KZ ZSR as a side grade to the ZS5 v1 - v-shaped, analytical, bassier than T2, excellent soundstage.

As far as something for a sidegrade to the T2 - I would consider the Brainwavz B100 (although not available on Aliexpress). I was quite impressed with the one I heard.

Though not IEMs which use MMCX cables, they do look interesting - especially the B100. I'll definitely take a look! Thank you Slater!!!

Heck, given that it's almost been more than half a year since the release of the KZ ZS5, perhaps it isn't all that crazy to say that I may even be looking for upgrades from it within the $50 price range, even. Chi-Fi is always advancing so quickly, it appears :O

Mar 28, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #8,217 of 31,868
I'm addicted to chi-fi because of you guys.

Grabbing these:

**** PT15
Tin Audio T2
FEN-2000
Headroom MS16
KZ ZS10
2 MMCX 1 KZ cable

Now, I already have IT01, Uiisii CM5 and Rock Zircon(least favorite of the 3). Do any of these that I'm planning to buy seem overly redundant to get? Also, anyone know of any good 5ft+ MMCX cables on Aliexpress? I'm having the hardest time filtering by length.

Mar 28, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #8,218 of 31,868
I'm addicted to chi-fi because of you guys.

Grabbing these:

**** PT15
Tin Audio T2
FEN-2000
Headroom MS16
KZ ZS10
2 MMCX 1 KZ cable

Now, I already have IT01, Uiisii CM5 and Rock Zircon(least favorite of the 3). Do any of these that I'm planning to buy seem overly redundant to get? Also, anyone know of any good 5ft+ MMCX cables on Aliexpress? I'm having the hardest time filtering by length.

I would honestly pass on the Headroom MS16. The **** PT15 blows the MS16 away. Unless you want the MS16 as a backup earbud for your gym bag or work, but wven then you may as well get (2) PT15 for the dirt cheap price they go for.

However, if you do end up getting the MS16, be SURE to peel off and throw away the fake "grille" that's adhered to the back of the shell. The sound improves considerably once that's done.

Mar 28, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #8,219 of 31,868
Though not IEMs which use MMCX cables, they do look interesting - especially the B100. I'll definitely take a look! Thank you Slater!!!

Heck, given that it's almost been more than half a year since the release of the KZ ZS5, perhaps it isn't all that crazy to say that I may even be looking for upgrades from it within the $50 price range, even. Chi-Fi is always advancing so quickly, it appears :O

Sure friend, glad to help.

Let us know how you like whatever you end up going with!

BTW, no KZ IEM uses MMCX (at least not yet anyways).

They all use 0.75mm 2-pin cables (like your ZS5 v1), with the only difference the shape of the plug at the 2-pin end.

There are many different (and inexpensive) 2-pin upgrade and bluetooth cables available that will fit the KZs, in case you want to go that route.

Mar 28, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #8,220 of 31,868
I would honestly pass on the Headroom MS16. The **** PT15 blows the MS16 away. Unless you want the MS16 as a backup earbud for your gym bag or work, but wven then you may as well get (2) PT15 for the dirt cheap price they go for.

However, if you do end up getting the MS16, be SURE to peel off and throw away the fake "grille" that's adhered to the back of the shell. The sound improves considerably once that's done.

Got it, 16s are out. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back