CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jul 16, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #2,988 of 31,833
Hi all,

I'm looking for an upgrade of my currents IEM's, currently I own the following IEM's: Tennmak Dulcimer, Tennmak Pro, Xiaomi Piston 2/3/Hybrid Pro HD, KZ Ate, KZ ZS3, Urbanfun Hifi, KZ ED2, Rock Zircon)

Out of these headphones I like the Urbanfun Hifi's and the Xiaomi Hybrid Pro HD by far (Because of their bright sound). I'm looking for a serious upgrade where I'm looking for the same sound signature as the Urbanfun' she/Xiaomi Hybrid Pro HD). Comfort is also important I'd like to use them for outside/gym also. I don't like the backwards design since they are not comfortable for me (KZ Ate).

Who can recommend me the ultimate upgrade? Price can be between $100-$150 (and does not have to be from China, currently my eyes fell on the 1More E1001, I think they got the same sound signature however I don't know if they are a big upgrade)

Go for the Co-Donguri Shizuku, they are incredible for this price range and don`t have a backwards design :)

This would be the ultimate upgrade and you even do not have to spend that much.

You can get them from CD Japan e.g. : http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/feature/headphones_japan_codonguri_shizuku

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #2,989 of 31,833
As said, I share some pics of my now sub 50$ favorite called the KZ ZS5:
P7160087.JPG P7160088.JPG P7160089.JPG

It make about 6h I use the ZS5 and just begin to listen to these anachronism from a far budget iem futur (cause I really feel KZ are like 10 years ahead of there time here....) and as expected (with high expectation) they are the real deal, not perfection, cause it does not really exist, but they just hit so much ahead of their price range that we can say it's a must have. Urge yourself iem collector, this is it! Thinking its possible to buy the ZS5 for 20$ (Gearbest) is a capitalist non-sens cause profit level is surely very low here with the precious compenent hide in the ZS5 body (I really don't think the ''urban legend'' about 2 BA drivers hide there for W-T-F? reason is true at all by the way).

So, just begin to listen in the sens that I feel the only real weakness about ZS5 is the comfort and it look like the only ear tips that solve this problem is memory foam tips. As every eartips style have influence on soundsignature I'm far from finish about testing the ultimate one for sound rendering, comfort is done, memory foam do the job very well and permit the housing to stay in place and never pop up of ear canal, still, I feel memory foam stole some air in soundstage and tame roundness of bass and deepness of imaging....wich are truely expectional for the price by the way!

To answer question about comparing these to XBA 6in1, bass performance of XBA is better but all the rest isn't. Impulsive conclusion: I prefer WOW effect of ZS5.

Jul 16, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #2,990 of 31,833
has anyone does comparison between the ZS5 and urbanfun hifi?
Fast checking right now:
Urbanfun are clearer sounding but imaging is less analytical, bass is ligther but another time more clear, soundstage is smaller, comfort is better with UF too, ZS5 have more weight and impact in sound rendering (wich is considered brighter but I do not feel it's very bright with memory foam tips).

PS:to take with a grain of salt cause UF have like more than 200H of listening and ZS5 only 5h.

Jul 16, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #2,991 of 31,833
Oh, and by the way, I receive my first 2 set of bluetooth earphone: the QCY Q29 (big win in design apparence but not in sound rendering) and Macaw T60 (not bad sounding at all but comfort isn't that good).
P7160090.JPG P7160092.JPG

Will review them soon....but i'm not a Blue tooth guy cause my serious DAP aren't bluetooth.

Jul 16, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #2,992 of 31,833
Nymphonomaniac did you plug your left earpiece in the wrong way? As in the L marking on the cable should be on the outside of the earpiece. (Debossing on cable and print on the earpiece on the same side.)

Just listnened to my ZS5 a couple of hours now to check if there is any faults with them. And they sound pretty good so far. Did get the 3 button remote, not sure if I should be worried about that? Haven't tried the mic, but plugged it into my tablet and tried the volume buttons. They work but i have to press super short to get it to skip one or two steps, any longer press will make it skip more. (Like half of the total volume.) As if the chip was programmed with too short duration of press per step. And cable seems kind of long, 20 cm from Y-split to remote, and 20 cm from remote to where the heat shrink starts (not the connector end, the other end). 44 cm from Y-split to where the heat shrink starts.

I got the QY19 and Macaw T1000 bluetooth headsets. Should get around to trying them out a bit more..

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #2,993 of 31,833
Nymphonomaniac did you plug your left earpiece in the wrong way? As in the L marking on the cable should be on the outside of the earpiece. (Debossing on cable and print on the earpiece on the same side.)

Just listnened to my ZS5 a couple of hours now to check if there is any faults with them. And they sound pretty good so far. Did get the 3 button remote, not sure if I should be worried about that? Haven't tried the mic, but plugged it into my tablet and tried the volume buttons. They work but i have to press super short to get it to skip one or two steps, any longer press will make it skip more. (Like half of the total volume.) As if the chip was programmed with too short duration of press per step. And cable seems kind of long, 20 cm from Y-split to remote, and 20 cm from remote to where the heat shrink starts (not the connector end, the other end). 44 cm from Y-split to where the heat shrink starts.

I got the QY19 and Macaw T1000 bluetooth headsets. Should get around to trying them out a bit more..

Yeah, I guess it's the wrong way but it do not change the sound....I was in such a hurry to try them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hugging:
I wait for my updgrade silver cable to pair with the ZS5, this one isn't that bad but neither that niiiiiiice in term of over the ear comfort. Anyway, no strange cable behavior for now (wich with mice could happen it look like).

And about your BT iem, look like Macaw T1000 is kind of the same design and perhaps driver...tell us what you think about them, as well as QCY19, i'm not a Macaw fan (did not like there RT10 at all) but for the little price it look like a good bet the T60, will give them more listen (way more than the QCY29).

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #2,995 of 31,833
Just in case anyone's interested...

UiiSii HM7
Package: not bad, nice pouch with them.
Build: pretty good actually. Quite the sturdy cable not ver prone of microhponics. Buds themselves are metal and sturdy

Sound:Holy *** these sound horrible!! was my first impression but 10 hours later.... really quite a wide soundstage impressive. Seperation isn't bad at all, Enough bass to justify the average taste and it does get some punch if you get these to seat properly. What does annoy me with these is the sibilance on female vocals, that's really annoying and 40 hours in it has hardly diminished.
Microphone: Good enough for phone calls
Comfort. Well, perhaps it's the way my ears are build but I really struggle to seat these comfortably and I have to make a big effort to get a decent seal.
Final verdict: even though I paid only $7 for these I'm not recommending them because of the seating issues AND the sibilance. I could have lived with either but not both. They're in my laptop bag for phone calls and the occasional training video. For music I find myself grabbing my sony XBA-C10 over and over again

Jul 17, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #2,998 of 31,833
The UiiSii US80 are worse than the HM7 for sibilance - didn't think the HM7 were particularly bad for it but I didn't get any sealing issues either which might have helped.

Jul 17, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #3,000 of 31,833
Just in case anyone's interested...

UiiSii HM7
Package: not bad, nice pouch with them.
Build: pretty good actually. Quite the sturdy cable not ver prone of microhponics. Buds themselves are metal and sturdy

Sound:Holy *** these sound horrible!! was my first impression but 10 hours later.... really quite a wide soundstage impressive. Seperation isn't bad at all, Enough bass to justify the average taste and it does get some punch if you get these to seat properly. What does annoy me with these is the sibilance on female vocals, that's really annoying and 40 hours in it has hardly diminished.
Microphone: Good enough for phone calls
Comfort. Well, perhaps it's the way my ears are build but I really struggle to seat these comfortably and I have to make a big effort to get a decent seal.
Final verdict: even though I paid only $7 for these I'm not recommending them because of the seating issues AND the sibilance. I could have lived with either but not both. They're in my laptop bag for phone calls and the occasional training video. For music I find myself grabbing my sony XBA-C10 over and over again

I tried the hm7 in a demo station. Definitely no go for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back