CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jul 7, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #586 of 31,833
Hey guys, i'm just so into all that accesible chinese audio gear that it became very wide and now I guess I should put the best obscure chinese headphones list too, cause...YES...i'm obsess about Superlux headphones since the first pair I try.

Listening to the EVO HD381 right now and it's a real joy with the DX80 cause it can amp it superbly (or is it because it is 32OHM)...not that I will say it sound perfect, just like a 100$ I will say...hehe...treble is extended and detailed, texture are foward wich is were it can be too much for me if I judge this as a hifi headphones...wich isnt ''suppose'' to be...well, I guess. I think this is the kind of sound you can became addict too tough and feel nostalgia when listening to more laid back sounding headphones. The HD381B are my favorite but they aren't as easy to drive than the EVO.

You know, I got the Grado GS1000 for some years before selling them (broke cable) so something weird happen in my mind when I listen to 30$ headphones that sound THAT good.

Any suggestions for OBSCURE Chinese Headphones, i'm thinking about the next step...the SOMIC V2 perhaps? Or Takstar HI2050? Or something even more obscure...can put 50-100 but want something special. Clear and round sound with big soundstage ,fowards mids, present bass and sparkly treble...well...something like a audiophile wet dream I guess.

Jul 7, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #587 of 31,833
  Hey guys, i'm just so into all that accesible chinese audio gear that it became very wide and now I guess I should put the best obscure chinese headphones list too, cause...YES...i'm obsess about Superlux headphones since the first pair I try.

Listening to the EVO HD381 right now and it's a real joy with the DX80 cause it can amp it superbly (or is it because it is 32OHM)...not that I will say it sound perfect, just like a 100$ I will say...hehe...treble is extended and detailed, texture are foward wich is were it can be too much for me if I judge this as a hifi headphones...wich isnt ''suppose'' to be...well, I guess. I think this is the kind of sound you can became addict too tough and feel nostalgia when listening to more laid back sounding headphones. The HD381B are my favorite but they aren't as easy to drive than the EVO.

You know, I got the Grado GS1000 for some years before selling them (broke cable) so something weird happen in my mind when I listen to 30$ headphones that sound THAT good.

Any suggestions for OBSCURE Chinese Headphones, i'm thinking about the next step...the SOMIC V2 perhaps? Or Takstar HI2050? Or something even more obscure...can put 50-100 but want something special. Clear and round sound with big soundstage ,fowards mids, present bass and sparkly treble...well...something like a audiophile wet dream I guess.

takstar 
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #588 of 31,833
I modded a pair of Takstar Pro 80s - rewired with silver plated cables internally, fitted a mini XLR socket and detachable cable, fitted extra dampening and deadening as well as angled Brainwavz earpads. They morphed into probably the most comfortable headphones I've owned, they sound great as well.

I'm looking at the ISK headphones which are identical to the Pro 80s and considering doing something similar as a product.

Jul 8, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #590 of 31,833
Lasmex. That's obscure to me!

Do you listen to this?

From the research I make in the last month only 4 brands stand out: Takstar, ISK, Superlux and Somic.

I'm sure their other good sounding one, now i have the Takstar HD2000 (not bad but kind of too warm), Superlux HD681 (good with big amping but lack in bass region), Superlux HD381B (excellent with big amping, very detailed and incredible instruments separation for the price), Superlux EVO HD381 (my favorite even if I find them ugly, easier to drive from the batch with a similar sound than the 381B).

I think I will try the Somic V2 soon, they intrigue me too much and look beautifull...what retain me is lack of money and the uncertainity about sound difference between the Somic V2 (42mm driver) and MH463 (50mm driver).

I make a fast googling for the Lasmex brand and fall on a OEM of the Somic (that is perhaps a OEM of another brand).

http://www.lasmex.com/en/web/uber.asp?id=62&x=1

Jul 8, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #591 of 31,833

Do you listen to this?

From the research I make in the last month only 4 brands stand out: Takstar, ISK, Superlux and Somic.

I'm sure their other good sounding one, now i have the Takstar HD2000 (not bad but kind of too warm), Superlux HD681 (good with big amping but lack in bass region), Superlux HD381B (excellent with big amping, very detailed and incredible instruments separation for the price), Superlux EVO HD381 (my favorite even if I find them ugly, easier to drive from the batch with a similar sound than the 381B).

I think I will try the Somic V2 soon, they intrigue me too much and look beautifull...what retain me is lack of money and the uncertainity about sound difference between the Somic V2 (42mm driver) and MH463 (50mm driver).

I make a fast googling for the Lasmex brand and fall on a OEM of the Somic (that is perhaps a OEM of another brand).

I have Somic V2. Really worth your atention!

Jul 8, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #592 of 31,833

Do you listen to this?

Check out my findings on a lot of these. The Bossman hifi ~$80 is promising, but under $100 headphones are falling behind asian iems in performance.

An excellent new addition outside of the Takstar Pro 80 is the Meizu HD50 for ~$52 at Gearbest. It exceeds the Takstar in some areas and exudes class and refinement in build quality. Meizu and Yi headphones are excellent.

Jul 8, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #593 of 31,833
  Check out my findings on a lot of these. The Bossman hifi ~$80 is promising, but under $100 headphones are falling behind asian iems in performance.

An excellent new addition outside of the Takstar Pro 80 is the Meizu HD50 for ~$52 at Gearbest. It exceeds the Takstar in some areas and exudes class and refinement in build quality. Meizu and Yi headphones are excellent.

Thanks mate! Where can I find the Bossman hifi...just wanna see their look.

And your half-true about asian headphones...I mean, 25-40$ pair can easily outperform some 100-150$ popular headphones...but the choice is less diversified than the IEM that is true, I guess construction price is higher too so...we search for exception and rarity.

How would you describe Meizu HD50 sound? See them lot of time in sale (never under 50$)...on-ear can sound to fowards to me and bright...only on-ear I really like for now is the Grado, don't try alot because of comfort issue too but because of this I need a really good pair.
Don't know why but i'm invade with Open-headphones and the closed one do not please me that much (sennheiser hd280, Edifier H815 (too fragile) and takstar HD2000 that are in-between on-ear and over-ear)...to be honnest I desperatily search a good closed headphones with cup for big eared dude and a VERY clear and detailed sound with present mids and not too bright sound, more organic feel, that will suit complex IDM music with plenty of musical layers, so good texture too and airy sound and excellent instruments separation...Superlux do better than I was thinking with IDM, but the texture is too grainy, and bass not enough round and heavy...I don't want a monitor sound, more an audiophile that like all sound spectrum but want weight and teeth to his sound.

Jul 8, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #594 of 31,833
I have Somic V2. Really worth your atention!

Can you kindly describe the sound?

As I have enough headphones for instrumental music like jazz and classical (Superlux) as well as Jazz and signers (Grado Sr325i), do these V2 will be excellent for IDM and Ambient?

Jul 8, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #596 of 31,833

As I have enough headphones for instrumental music like jazz and classical (Superlux) as well as Jazz and signers (Grado Sr325i), do these V2 will be excellent for IDM and Ambient?

@RedJohn456 posted some impressions on the Somic some time ago in the asian headphones thread if i recall correctly. 

Jul 8, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #597 of 31,833

Sorry about my English, but let's try. :) Somic V2 have a great soundstage, nice punching bass (not overlouded, just in place). The highs can be a bit harsh on some records, but not critical. Mids are a bit recessed (I have KEF M500 as reference with insane good mids, so I can be subjective), but enough detailed. In short - for this money Somic V2 is unbelievable good.
By the way, look here: http://thestatusaudio.com/products/ob1
Oh yes, sorry: V2 actually are quite universal, but best for jazz, classic, rock etc. Maybe can be the same good for ambient (huge soundstage) - I'm not sure about it.

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #598 of 31,833
  I agree with you about X3. It is a good DAP based on feedback here (I'm still waiting for mine to show up). On the other hand I do like my smartphone capability of using apps like Spotify, Tidal etc mainly to discover new music. Not to mention the UI on smartphone is much much better than that on most DAPs. I do have my smartphone all the time with me but while I'm at it why not use it for music as well. I can hook up a USB DAC and call it a day. A USB DAC which integrated Sabre chip like Hifime is very cheap to drive IEMs on the go. Now you get both a good DAC and a good player with great UI. That's like spending another $40-50 for the DAC alone if you already own a smartphone.

I was mainly using DAPs, but started wanting to be able to also stream tidal and didn't feel like putting up the $$$ for something like the X7. So I got the Zuperdac (es9018k2m/es9601) to hook up to my phone (S5, with UAPP app). Wow, I totally love it. Incredible SQ. Tidal streaming. $79. Love it.

But I still need a DAP for secondary listening requirements. I lost my xeulin 770 (which I liked a lot, except for lack of tactile buttons), but did just receive the Xduoo X3 yesterday, and it's great. Excellent form factor (small, well built, buttons), dual slots, rockboxable, and great SQ. $89.

So between my phone/dac and the x3, I feel rather content!

Jul 8, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #599 of 31,833

I was mainly using DAPs, but started wanting to be able to also stream tidal and didn't feel like putting up the $$$ for something like the X7. So I got the Zuperdac (es9018k2m/es9601) to hook up to my phone (S5, with UAPP app). Wow, I totally love it. Incredible SQ. Tidal streaming. $79. Love it.

But I still need a DAP for secondary listening requirements. I lost my xeulin 770 (which I liked a lot, except for lack of tactile buttons), but did just receive the Xduoo X3 yesterday, and it's great. Excellent form factor (small, well built, buttons), dual slots, rockboxable, and great SQ. $89.

So between my phone/dac and the x3, I feel rather content!

Great duo!
Sometime I wonder about this type of gear...like, thinking about getting a cheap used Samsung Galaxy on Ebay and one of this portable DAC you talk about...wonder if it can work with cheap chinese smarthphone as i'm not a techy guy so...if the DAC options work it could be a new sub-100$ type of ''DAP'' to try
bigsmile_face.gif

One question, Did it drown the battery alot??

Soooooound Obsssssesssssssion.

Jul 8, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #600 of 31,833
Under 100, xduoo x2 is the best

I got my X3 for $89 at tomtop. They had a $20 off coupon. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't pop up again.

Great duo!
Sometime I wonder about this type of gear...like, thinking about getting a cheap used Samsung Galaxy on Ebay and one of this portable DAC you talk about...wonder if it can work with cheap chinese smarthphone as i'm not a techy guy so...if the DAC options work it could be a new sub-100$ type of ''DAP'' to try
bigsmile_face.gif

This thread is your friend: http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs

I think if it supports android 5.0 and up, it could work, especially if you also use the UAPP (usb audio player pro) app or Onkyo HF app. Both of those apps seems to work very well with usb DACs, and they also bypass the phones drivers (unlike if you use other apps such as neutron). I basically didn't want to dick around and be having issues, so I went with the UAPP app and am very happy with it. Also within that app you can stream tidal, so it's streaming tidal pretty much directly to my zuperdac and sounds phenomenal. So yeah, if it works, a cheap android phone and something like the zuperdac is pretty amazing value for hifi sound.

One question, Did it drown the battery alot??

Soooooound Obsssssesssssssion.

I think I get about 6 hours out of it if playing local hi res files, and an hour or so less if streaming tidal. I'll have to test that out though someday and if those figures are wrong, I'll report back.

And yes to the sound obsession!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back