CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jul 3, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #481 of 31,833
I'm amused with SMSL's new budget dac/amp for phones called the Ivy. It's on Massdrop for $20 ( normally around $30), so finding something less expensive to carry out that function might be impossible.

Jul 3, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #482 of 31,833
I'm amused with SMSL's new budget dac/amp for phones called the Ivy. It's on Massdrop for $20 ( normally around $30), so finding something less expensive to carry out that function might be impossible.

r u joining?
wink.gif

Jul 3, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #483 of 31,833
I haven't quite decided yet...  it's a 16/48 dac, but it's not like I'd need more than that when I'm out.  For $23 after shipping and arriving around Aug 1st, it's actually kind of tempting to give it a go.  Then again, I could just attach my Encore mDSD to my phone and use a higher quality product.  But that one feels a little bulky, and the Ivy might not be.  There's also the SMSL Idol, which looks a bit more convenient, but hard to say.

Jul 3, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #484 of 31,833
  I haven't quite decided yet...  it's a 16/48 dac, but it's not like I'd need more than that when I'm out.  For $23 after shipping and arriving around Aug 1st, it's actually kind of tempting to give it a go.  Then again, I could just attach my Encore mDSD to my phone and use a higher quality product.  But that one feels a little bulky, and the Ivy might not be.  There's also the SMSL Idol, which looks a bit more convenient, but hard to say.

wink_face.gif
very hard to decide

Jul 3, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #485 of 31,833

I give a look...the DAC chip is a PCM2704, the Hifiman HM-101 use a similar but (supposely better) PCM 2702...I think if you want an impression about sound potential this review can help:
http://www.headfonia.com/hifiman-express-hm-101/

Anyway, the question is simple: Will it sound better than you phone soundchip or not?
And other important one:
As it don,t look like to have a battery inside, will it take too much juice out of your phone battery and became a burden instead of a savior?

Anyway, not alot lot to lost at this price and who know, perhaps alot to win too!

Jul 3, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #486 of 31,833

I don't agree with you on this mate.

Xduoo X3 is THE best exemple of a good DAP with good DAC (cirrus CS4398) and it's 3 time smaller than a smarphone and can read HIRES Flac and all without problem.

Another good CHEAP sounding one is the rather unknow ONN X5 and is right now 37$ at Gearbest, can read Hires but the UI is problematic (the price is out of this world tough).

Fiio X1 have good reviews too. As well as more obscure chinese DAP that I do not try with good DAC chip and Line out.

REVOLUTION IS NOW DUDE!!!

I really like DAP different soundsignature, form factor and microSD memory potential, it make more than 2 years I have my Ibasso DX90 and he still perform as new, he fall on the ground lot of time and never broke, I can change his battery and have an extra powerbank so batery life is infini when rightly use. The fact that the player have a Line Out make them so versatile too, and the different amp soundsignature you can get will drive any headphones at their best.

Never feel the need to have a smartphone, but I just buy one to my girlfriend for work purpose so perhaps I will try some in the futur....my Ipod Touch take dust since the first day I have it too...sound so bad.

Different strokes.. Some people want the pure music player, and a high quality DAP is perfect for that.

Now that some phones have high quality DACs in them (Axon 7 has the AKM4490), along with more microsd support, it is starting to appeal more to me than separates. My Geek Out V2+ Infinity is still my portable USB DAC/amp king for performance, but it's also a pain to strap onto my phone and use for anything other than commuting or sitting, just like a separate DAP would be for me.

I didn't like the X1 all that much, but appreciated it for what it is. I probably would like the X3 more, but my GOV2+ Infinity and HTC 10 make it redundant now.

USB Audio Player Pro is a fantastic program that just got a Parametric EQ. Any DAP that uses android and can use this makes it immediately more appealing.

Jul 3, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #487 of 31,833
I understand that there alot of choice nowaday to have a good or even excellent portable music gig. Combination of earphones-headphones can make big change too for sure...
I have an eye on the smartphone with good DAC chip too (never have a smart or cellphone of my own life!) and chinese brands look nice in this as well, but at 500$ and more it is a big investment.
I'm very enthusiast about (good) sound diversity that offer 100-400$ DAP, and with this explosion of new cheap chinese DAP it is very very accessible and fun! I guess if I have a smarthphone I will still use my DAP with it sometime, and from all my DAC I doesn't feel any can excell in ALL music genre I listen too, wich make diversity even more appropriate. Solution of external Dac is great too...so much way to enjoy music, this is why it is so addictive!

Now Exemple: I listen to my Ibasso Dx80 with my Koss Portapro some instrumental music  with guitar (Rashanim) and the combination is exquisite.

Jul 3, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #488 of 31,833
After reading Nymphonomaniac review and recommendation of the SUPERLUX HD381, I ordered a pair from Gearbest. They arrived this week and I have to personally thank Nymphonomaniac for the suggestion. They offer an amazing value-sound ratio.  

Construction/Appearance: They look like a lab experience of an evil scientist. An earbud/IEM love child. When I first opened the package I was not impressed with the construction or the short cable. Included was an extension cable. There are no 'L" or"R" markings. 4/10

Fit: Even though they look atypical. They fit snuggly and they offer excellent sound isolation.  They fit better then my Letv's metals and 
Original Tennmaks. They are comfortable for long periods of time.  9/10

Sound: This is where the HD381s shine.  The soundstage is amazing.  Vocals are clear and engaging for both male and female singers. Bass is present but not sloppy or overboard. I found that the instrumental separation was not as good as on the Tenmaks. That would be my only knock on the HD381.  Overall they offer a fun and enjoyable sound. 8/10 

Value. For under $10, they are a steal. They offer a great listening experience.  For the price, I can easily overlook the construction. 10/10

J

Jul 3, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #489 of 31,833
  After reading Nymphonomaniac review and recommendation of the SUPERLUX HD381, I ordered a pair from Gearbest. They arrived this week and I have to personally thank Nymphonomaniac for the suggestion. They offer an amazing value-sound ratio.  

Construction/Appearance: They look like a lab experience of an evil scientist. An earbud/IEM love child. When I first opened the package I was not impressed with the construction or the short cable. Included was an extension cable. There are no 'L" or"R" markings. 4/10

Fit: Even though they look atypical. They fit snuggly and they offer excellent sound isolation.  They fit better then my Letv's metals and 

Sound: This is where the HD381s shine.  The soundstage is amazing.  Vocals are clear and engaging for both male and female singers. Bass is present but not sloppy or overboard. I found that the instrumental separation was not as good as on the Tenmaks. That would be my only knock on the HD381.  Overall they offer a fun and enjoyable sound. 8/10 

Value. For under $10, they are a steal. They offer a great listening experience.  For the price, I can easily overlook the construction. 10/10

J

Hehe thanks, i'm happy that this Superlux please your ears too.
bigsmile_face.gif

They are a keeper for sure and  if I can permit what is your music source?

As the soudstage is airy and quite big I find the instruments separation very very good for the price, and sincerly better than my Tennmak Dulcimer (is it the one you talk about?). I'm not finish to be blown away with these as they perform especially good with my Ibasso Dx80.

For the construction, I wasn't impress at all too, and don't give them a long lifetime because the cable look very fragile...we will have to use them with ''fairy hands'' I guess.

Happy listening mate!
beerchug.gif

Jul 3, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #490 of 31,833
Hey Nymphonomaniac.

Yep, I got the Dulcimers. I did not not like the Dulcimers when I first got them, but they were slowly growing on me.  My source right now is a OPO phone.  The instruments separation on the HD381s. just is not there for me.  It may be my source or it might be the songs currently in my rotation.  I will load some classical and continue my A/B testing. 

J

Jul 3, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #491 of 31,833

I give a look...the DAC chip is a PCM2704, the Hifiman HM-101 use a similar but (supposely better) PCM 2702...I think if you want an impression about sound potential this review can help:
http://www.headfonia.com/hifiman-express-hm-101/

Anyway, the question is simple: Will it sound better than you phone soundchip or not?
And other important one:
As it don,t look like to have a battery inside, will it take too much juice out of your phone battery and became a burden instead of a savior?

Anyway, not alot lot to lost at this price and who know, perhaps alot to win too!

I've got the Muse X5, which uses the same PCM2704 chip, as well as the Breeze Audio DAC, which uses a  PCM2706 chip.
A/B tests with my laptop showed absolutely no difference in sound quality to my ears.The Muse X5 is just brighter than my laptop, but not clearer or better sounding.
I know that the implementation of a chip is very important, but personally I won't expect that much from the SMSL DAC/Amp.

Jul 4, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #492 of 31,833
Hey @1clearhead

just got my TF Hi-Z Earbuds

not bad at all!!!! definitely more bass, although now i kinda want a little more treble?

lol anyway i guess i'll get use to the sound soon, very good recommendation

thanks!

everyone else: 1clearhead is right, for those that enjoyed VE monk, hi-Z can be another great option

Jul 4, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #493 of 31,833
  Hey @1clearhead

just got my TF Hi-Z Earbuds

not bad at all!!!! definitely more bass, although now i kinda want a little more treble?

lol anyway i guess i'll get use to the sound soon, very good recommendation

thanks!

everyone else: 1clearhead is right, for those that enjoyed VE monk, hi-Z can be another great option

Glad I can help.....

They were introduced to me by a friend swearing that they were really "a must buy" here in China.
wink.gif

I'm glad I bought them, as well!
beerchug.gif

Jul 4, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #494 of 31,833

J

Exactly my story. Mine arrived july 1th. Agree on every statement you made here.
And ofc Nymphonomaniac, thank you very much! For me the less mentions i find on this thread about certain IEMs, the more objective will possibly be the impressions on it (it's weird, i know). And Superlux HD381 had only 1 review by Nymphonomaniac and i couldn't resist. So, again, thank you Nymphonomaniac for this hidden jem of IEMs.

Jul 4, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #495 of 31,833
Personally speaking, Havi B3 is the best under $100 for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back