CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
May 2, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #10,006 of 31,867
So, I finally got these. Never before did a pair of IEM of mine need so much tip rolling. Now trying them with the foam of the T2.

Edit: The grey wide bore tips of the Yersen FEN2000 seem to liven the CM5 up. Bass is detailed, mids are brought forward in a good way.

Edit 2: The bass can get a little boomy. A true brother for the UiiSii HM7 it seems!

Seems like they have a fun sound! Will share impressions later! :)

The large stock silicones did the trick for me.

May 2, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #10,007 of 31,867
So I received my Rose North Forest almost a week ago from Penon and I’ve been testing songs on them for maybe a couple hours or so.

Overall, I think they’re...meh. Just meh. Something is definitely off with its tonality and I’m not too fond of it.

I think they’re fairly bassy, at least according to what I’ve been listening to lately. They definitely have *lots* of mid-bass, which I really don’t like (sub-bass emphasis> mid-bass emphasis). I feel like the mid-bass bleeds into the toned-down lower mids. Sub-bass isn’t really all that great and doesn’t have that nice rumble that I sometimes enjoy. Overall, I don’t care for the bass much and it’s not my cup of tea. Now for the midrange...

The midrange is okay with songs that aren’t too demanding of it. While listening to something soft and demanding of a good lower-midrange, such as Somebody’s Baby by Jon Foreman, vocals felt subdued and very muffled, like the lower mids were smothered in a pillow. The upper midrange though, I’d argue is quite strident and prone to harshness at mid-to-high volumes. Vocals on Good Riddance by Green Day sounded thin and bordering harsh on multiple occasions. In terms of instrument presentation, they just aren’t good, not for something so recently hyped. Electric guitars, such as in Learn to Fly by Foo Fighters feel absolutely abrasive at slightly higher volumes. Any lower of a volume, and everything feels distant and pathetic. The midrange on these is horrid. I can only listen to a few songs without wincing or turning the volume all the way down.

As for the treble, it’s really nothing special at all. In fact, it’s splashy and abrasive as well. The Rose North Forest has a problem with an over-emphasized upper-midrange and lower-treble. I hate these kinds of spikes, since I’m moderately sensitive to anything around 5-8k Hz. These are certainly not for the treble sensitive. Upper-treble seems decent though. It extends decently and feels somewhat natural. That’s all I have to say about it though. I’ve heard much better at this price range.

Soundstage and layering are kinda bad... it feels compressed and small, with not much in terms of depth. It does have good width though, for what it’s worth. I don’t see how these could ever sound “holographic” to anyone.

Also, if anyone asks for my source(s), I’ve tried these on my iPhone X > AAW Accessport DAC, my MacBook Pro, my iPod Nano 3G, and my old iPhone 6s with very little in terms of quality. I’ve also done quite a bit of tip rolling (i.e. Starline, foams, wide and narrow bore eartips, etc, etc.). I can’t seem to make these sound decent.

Sorry for the long and harsh review. I feel like IEMs should be criticized honestly without any sugar coating, especially the ones that get hyped early on. My poor wallet cries still, but there are so many more Chi-if IEMs to explore! Onward!

did you try equalizing them?
i also did find that 4k-9k frequency range strong but not piercing sharp.
Bass becomes good when equalized(i previously had xb30ex).

May 2, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #10,008 of 31,867
Really disappointed.. my TinAudio T2's are already starting to have problems. I'm assuming the wire is faulty in some way because slight movement of the cable causes my right channel to cut out / break up. Going to see if I can get a replacement or something but it doesn't give me confidence for the build quality.

May 2, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #10,009 of 31,867
So I received my Rose North Forest almost a week ago from Penon and I’ve been testing songs on them for maybe a couple hours or so.

Overall, I think they’re...meh. Just meh. Something is definitely off with its tonality and I’m not too fond of it.

I think they’re fairly bassy, at least according to what I’ve been listening to lately. They definitely have *lots* of mid-bass, which I really don’t like (sub-bass emphasis> mid-bass emphasis). I feel like the mid-bass bleeds into the toned-down lower mids. Sub-bass isn’t really all that great and doesn’t have that nice rumble that I sometimes enjoy. Overall, I don’t care for the bass much and it’s not my cup of tea. Now for the midrange...

The midrange is okay with songs that aren’t too demanding of it. While listening to something soft and demanding of a good lower-midrange, such as Somebody’s Baby by Jon Foreman, vocals felt subdued and very muffled, like the lower mids were smothered in a pillow. The upper midrange though, I’d argue is quite strident and prone to harshness at mid-to-high volumes. Vocals on Good Riddance by Green Day sounded thin and bordering harsh on multiple occasions. In terms of instrument presentation, they just aren’t good, not for something so recently hyped. Electric guitars, such as in Learn to Fly by Foo Fighters feel absolutely abrasive at slightly higher volumes. Any lower of a volume, and everything feels distant and pathetic. The midrange on these is horrid. I can only listen to a few songs without wincing or turning the volume all the way down.

As for the treble, it’s really nothing special at all. In fact, it’s splashy and abrasive as well. The Rose North Forest has a problem with an over-emphasized upper-midrange and lower-treble. I hate these kinds of spikes, since I’m moderately sensitive to anything around 5-8k Hz. These are certainly not for the treble sensitive. Upper-treble seems decent though. It extends decently and feels somewhat natural. That’s all I have to say about it though. I’ve heard much better at this price range.

Soundstage and layering are kinda bad... it feels compressed and small, with not much in terms of depth. It does have good width though, for what it’s worth. I don’t see how these could ever sound “holographic” to anyone.

Also, if anyone asks for my source(s), I’ve tried these on my iPhone X > AAW Accessport DAC, my MacBook Pro, my iPod Nano 3G, and my old iPhone 6s with very little in terms of quality. I’ve also done quite a bit of tip rolling (i.e. Starline, foams, wide and narrow bore eartips, etc, etc.). I can’t seem to make these sound decent.

Sorry for the long and harsh review. I feel like IEMs should be criticized honestly without any sugar coating, especially the ones that get hyped early on. My poor wallet cries still, but there are so many more Chi-if IEMs to explore! Onward!

Issues on 4k and 8k

Mids are very upfront presentation

Treble is good and extended.

Just neutralise it, it goes very well with eq....better than many iem

It was giving me bass on notification of Facebook.

Well, the posted graph is correct, but due to higher volume, decay happens somewhere in treble and harmonically mids.

Lower the volume, the mid bass and resonant treble....or seal the hole at back to reduce bass and then reduce 4k and 8k.

It goes very deep and technically I pass it with flying grades.

Without eq, it was able to tell me instruments in Desir by grandella and after eq, it made the sound go wall less.

Pure bliss soundscape

May 2, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #10,010 of 31,867
Issues on 4k and 8k

Mids are very upfront presentation

Treble is good and extended.

Just neutralise it, it goes very well with eq....better than many iem

It was giving me bass on notification of Facebook.

Well, the posted graph is correct, but due to higher volume, decay happens somewhere in treble and harmonically mids.

Lower the volume, the mid bass and resonant treble....or seal the hole at back to reduce bass and then reduce 4k and 8k.

It goes very deep and technically I pass it with flying grades.

Without eq, it was able to tell me instruments in Desir by grandella and after eq, it made the sound go wall less.

Pure bliss soundscape
Haha, you buy an IEM, change everything you can about the sound signature and THEN praise it. I'll keep it in mind the next time. :wink:

May 2, 2018 at 6:39 AM Post #10,011 of 31,867
Haha, you buy an IEM, change everything you can about the sound signature and THEN praise it. I'll keep it in mind the next time. :wink:
You have to bro....

My article explains well...

And all iem still sound different even after proper eq...

I mean your own ear response curve, even if you eq it like that, technicality still matter.

Rose went very good with EQ....

And even without eq, mids are just too upfront with females vocal being sharper..

And bass decay makes it sound a little off.

Its a balanced aggressive presentation.

You have to tone down mid bass and some treble resonance...

It sounded so good, ask @audionab

Lil dicky Friday Chris brown song gave him goosebumps after EQ...

Without eq.

It still sounded Better than aurora and

Let me down from Korean odyssey and goblin most sounded amazing.

Some song got congested(desir) but not like KZ zsr or zs6 level of incoherent congestion.

W shape response to me.

Boosted mid bass and bass, the a dip, followed with mids, then 2k slight dip and very good presented boosted treble.

Last edited:
May 2, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #10,012 of 31,867
Very interesting this Eq solution.

Can some members suggest the best Equalizer programs -ideally for Iphone 7 - and/or Equalizer hardwares ?

Can some Equalizer programs work directly with Tidal or Spotify.

Thanks for your help...and understanding...sorry newby...learning !

May 2, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #10,013 of 31,867
If you are looking for a smartphone replacement as well then look into LG V30 (or V20 as a cheaper option). If your budget can accomodate it take the V30 flagship which has better battery life and people say it's more polished and what V20 should have been in the first place.

Both have audiophile grade Sabre quad DAC and hifi amp. Streaming services at best and naturally fluid interface common to smartphones, best compatibility with Playstore apps, Bluetooth, smartcard and so on.

There's a dedicated thread for it, check it out. Some people say is that good that they are ditching their mid tier daps for it.
+1 on the V20 (or V30) recommendation. I I travel long distances for work every week so portability is a must. I LOVE the convenience of only having one semi small device as my setup. I know the V20 isn't small, but it's smaller and easier to transport than a stacked dad/dap. I love the V20 for many reasons, but one large reason is because of the removable battery. I bought an upgrade 10,800 mah battery for it and can easily get 2 days of heavy use before needing a charge.

May 2, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #10,014 of 31,867
Very interesting this Eq solution.

Can some members suggest the best Equalizer programs -ideally for Iphone 7 - and/or Equalizer hardwares ?

Can some Equalizer programs work directly with Tidal or Spotify.

Thanks for your help...and understanding...sorry newby...learning !

Technically, it is not possible as in iOS, every app is running like a sandbox and is not allowed to access any stuff or apps outside its own boundary.

So no equaliser equivalent....all iOS suffer with this. Your phone can't be equalised for all app.

You can buy onkyo HF player and try making good profiles and listen to some amazing songs in it.

Well, this may help you

Last edited:
May 2, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #10,015 of 31,867
Technically, it is not possible as in iOS, every app is running like a sandbox and is not allowed to access any stuff or apps outside its own boundary.

So no equaliser equivalent....all iOS suffer with this. Your phone can't be equalised for all app.

You can buy onkyo HF player and try making good profiles and listen to some amazing songs in it.

Well, this may help you

Thank you ! Disappointing about this IOS limitation ! Does that mean one has to download the songs and use them from the hard drive ?

Will have a look at the Onkyo HF player. Thanks once again.

May 2, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #10,017 of 31,867

I've had my North Stars for about a week, and I would pretty much agree with the above. Mids are overdone, to the point of vocals sounding strident or grainy. I think mid-bass is overdone as well. The thing I was really looking for was the "holographic effect" in the sound stage that others had mentioned. I didn't experience it. I do have other iem's where I do hear that holographic effect (ATH CKR9LTD, for example). I just don't find anything about these that would bring me back. They are not "bad", and they do some things well, but I just don't think they are "hype worthy".

May 2, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #10,018 of 31,867
I've had my North Stars for about a week, and I would pretty much agree with the above. Mids are overdone, to the point of vocals sounding strident or grainy. I think mid-bass is overdone as well. The thing I was really looking for was the "holographic effect" in the sound stage that others had mentioned. I didn't experience it. I do have other iem's where I do hear that holographic effect (ATH CKR9LTD, for example). I just don't find anything about these that would bring me back. They are not "bad", and they do some things well, but I just don't think they are "hype worthy".
Ckr9ltd

Lol...bro what are you comparing north forest to.

They are different league all together.

People have bass issue with north forest may seal the back port.

Yes mids are forward but they sound tall, wide and deep(not that much)...but yeah.

@audionab rose north forest was able to produce rumble on Facebook notification on 50% volume

Lol

I agree with layering issue though...

But they worked amazing after solid EQ, better than all single driver iem(except iBasso)

Last edited:
May 2, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #10,019 of 31,867
Well, apple guys think their inbuilt DAC is amazing....but it is not

It is very bad(though it doesn't produce noise) it warms the sound unnecessarily....

Rose may sound bad due to that too.

I use ESS 9018k2m and they sound amazing there...

In my smartphone

Hahahahhaha lol

May 2, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #10,020 of 31,867
Well, on and under 100$

I love

IBasso it01
TFZ king
TFZ series 4
Ety mc5
Fiio F9 pro(discount)
Beyerdynamic Byron

Rose aurora(good bass and not glaring mids like north forest, but it is slower and have pressure build up)

TinAudio T2
Zhiyin z5000
NiceHCK bro
KZ zs10
Trn v20
KZ zsr
Rose north forest

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back