CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Mar 22, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #7,996 of 31,833
Thanks for the clarification, DZ.

So, BGVP has had some issue with tuning though they have done some good at times but if you fixed something and it is much better why are they selling the sub-par one. Nice Penon, just sneak in this second option but still selling something sub-par. Send them back and get credit for them. If they made a "fix" then BGVP take back the worse one so they are out and off the market. Why would V1 be the better version and when the listing went up it was just DS1 so that is V1. V2 has to be what came second so why are we calling it V1? Am I missing something and Penon is seemingly being vague to help sell but keep the consumers in the dark? They only made changes in the blue to talk about cables and say nothing about the SQ difference esp. when the names give you no clue like V1 and V2 might but TN Forum and DS1 give no clue.

I know things are tough and competitive out there but I've seen even Penon be a bit iffy on some things as of late. I've been with them since BBO was the only way to buy from them internationally. Service is fine just the way they list and represent some things.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #7,997 of 31,833
The point is that 30$ is a crazy deal and that YES I will order a pair too and NOT wait for any reviews. TOO DAMN TEMPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 22, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #7,998 of 31,833
I hope the KZ Z10 will be detailed like the ZS6.

By the way, are there any suggestions for chi fi earphones which have detail like the ZS6, or even more?
I will suggest the PMV A01 MK2, they are the must detailed iem I own....and I can listen to them without feeling its a suicide attempt like with the ZS6:wink:

Mar 22, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #7,999 of 31,833
Hey, I finally found a pair of working Sony MDR-W20G.

The 1st pair I found were beat up really bad, 1 side was blown, and the other side didn’t sound that great because the driver tuning filter was disintegrating (with the foam particles falling down inside of the driver). That’s probably what caused the one side to die.

This 2nd pair literally looks brand new, like they’ve never been used a single time since the day they were made 20 years ago. I finally got to hear what the W20G is supposed to sound like.

All I can say is wow! The sound of these (especially when amped) would easily rival current gear. They sound like an improved KSC75. Nice warm and natural sound, strong sub bass (due to the vertical design), sparkly and airy treble, and superb soundstage (just like a great earbud).

They are very light and compact, and no foam covers are necessary. Because they are 100% plastic (including the headband), they appear somwehat fragile (being 20 years old doesn't help any either). But the plastic is typical Sony quality, and they were designed to be used for "Sports", so I have hopes they won't snap in 2. The wire is also very thin and fragile looking, but it seems fairly easy to recable if/when that becomes necessary.

If you ever have a chance to pick these up for a few bucks at a garage sale, 2nd hand store, or eBay, don’t pass it up.

OH, did not read that!
Thats very nice man, so i wasn't hysterically impress for nothing hehe
Hope you find them for good price because I just can't find any other pair and on the net its crazy expensive, same price as an original Rembrandt painting.
I'm still addict about these, wich make me dangerously addict to vintage portable headphones stuffs...last one I find is the SONY MDR-W08, its like a more fowards sounding and less bassy version than W20G, easier to drive but they sound tinner...not bad at all tough.
P2200580.JPG
What impress me about W20G is the kind of around your head airy soundstage, and a type of bass presence with some thickness to it that is very rare to find in sub-100$ earbuds (or perhaps impossible).
Right now I listen to them on my Xduoo XD-05 with Burson V5i-D OPamp upgrade at high gain and its quite spectacular, I really feel listening to an old vintage HIFI audio system, and its a gooooooood thing:)

Attachments

• P2200563.JPG
    P2200563.JPG
    1,012.4 KB · Views: 0
Mar 22, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #8,000 of 31,833
Not sure they're allowed to be mentioned on the board... Confirmation here:

2ZNuxK3.jpg
euxpg

The point is that 30$ is a crazy deal and that YES I will order a pair too and NOT wait for any reviews. TOO DAMN TEMPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like they're sold out as they don't even come up in the search anymore.

Grats to everyone who managed to order them!

upload_2018-3-22_15-23-55.png

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #8,001 of 31,833
Looks like they're sold out as they dont come up in the search anymore.

Grats to everyone who managed to order them!

Capture d’écran (100).png
Quick search in .COM version....and they are still there bro. Ali search engine isn't the same depending country you select....always use the .COM version to have more search result.

Mar 22, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #8,003 of 31,833

Quick search in .COM version....and they are still there bro. Ali search engine isn't the same depending country you select....always use the .COM version to have more search result.

I am using .COM, always.

upload_2018-3-22_15-37-20.png

u need to search manual... go to to shop and select in categories .. I saw them yesterday but sometimes it doesnt show up in the search

Ah fair enough, because yesterday I tried finding them in the official KZ store and no luck. :frowning2:

Mar 22, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #8,004 of 31,833
Oh wow Im an idiot, thank you for the correction.

I will also guinea pig and pre order the ZS10. I have a gut feeling this will be something special

Mar 22, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #8,005 of 31,833
OH, did not read that!
Hope you find them for good price because I just can't find any other pair and on the net its crazy expensive, same price as an original Rembrandt painting.
I'm still addict about these, wich make me dangerously addict to vintage portable headphones stuffs...last one I find is the SONY MDR-W08, its like a more fowards sounding and less bassy version than W20G, easier to drive but they sound tinner...not bad at all tough.

What impress me about W20G is the kind of around your head airy soundstage, and a type of bass presence with some thickness to it that is very rare to find in sub-100$ earbuds (or perhaps impossible).
Right now I listen to them on my Xduoo XD-05 with Burson V5i-D OPamp upgrade at high gain and its quite spectacular, I really feel listening to an old vintage HIFI audio system, and its a gooooooood thing:)
I have the SONY MDR-W08. Surprisingly good sounding phones for the era they were made.

Mar 22, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #8,007 of 31,833
Doubt this applies to anyone here, but the Zhiyin Z5000 seems to pair horribly with the Sound Blaster X-Fi HD DAC/Amp..

EQing makes it sound nice again but I was in shock how much better the Z5000 sounds w/ the xduoo x3 sounds in comparison

Mar 22, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #8,008 of 31,833
I didnt like the kz zs6 sound signature either... kz zs10 will be great gamble... they need to make something big this time..
Yeah....still try to find a way to love them....I think modding them will be next step, use ''foamed silicone eartips'' it help tame treble peak a little....but all in all, there just something in a WHOLE I don't like....and I've been ''unfortunate'' to compare them with Campfire Audio Polaris (borrowed, cause if i'm here its cause I can't afford this type of iem), ZS6 just feel wrongly tuned after that, like if all was trown in your face in a congested way, with compressed layering and lot of mixed up details...hard to explain, but I was suffocating with ZS6, even if soundstage is wide it lack air and deepness and feel too mixed up in treble, like if all drivers was push artificialy. Did not feel that type of difference with ZS5V1, Z5000 or Tinaudio T2.
ZSR feel less congested and more airy than ZS6, but there still....a dry fowards grainy presentation that lack musical smoothness and thickness IMO So I really hope the ZS10 will have a more mellow presentation....I begin to became afraid of BA drivers cause of extra harshness they can give. But HOPE is always alive.

Mar 22, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #8,009 of 31,833
OH, did not read that!

I know you only paid a dollar or two at a thrift store for yours, but I was not that lucky on my 2nd pair (the working ones).

I got my "brand new" pair for $25 shipped, which is a steal compared to the ridiculous prices these sell for!

It would be nice to go back to 1995 and load up on these, because they cost $10 new at any electronics store. Although if I could go back to 1995, I would rather load up on Apple stock instead LOL

Mar 22, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #8,010 of 31,833
Doubt this applies to anyone here, but the Zhiyin Z5000 seems to pair horribly with the Sound Blaster X-Fi HD DAC/Amp..

EQing makes it sound nice again but I was in shock how much better the Z5000 sounds w/ the xduoo x3 sounds in comparison

I was considering getting these for the anniversary sale. Haven't decided 100% yet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back