CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Aug 29, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #3,421 of 31,834
After all the horrible buds that were packaged with portable cassette players etc back in the day,I refused to even try iems for a long time and now I find out buds are nice too.
I still don't believe earbuds can sound good.

I've only recently come around to thinking that IEMs can sound good....thanks to my Rock Zircons, KZ ED9s and KZ ZS5s.

Aug 29, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #3,422 of 31,834

I've only recently come around to thinking that IEMs can sound good....thanks to my Rock Zircons, KZ ED9s and KZ ZS5s.

I'd take the cheap Qian25 buds over Rock Zircon and similar on sound quality. It's not like they're a huge step up since these are still lower-end items we're talking about, but it's easily noticeably better sound quality imo. And the bit bigger soundstage is certainly welcome, which Zircon is already better than average at.

Earbuds don't fit in the ear as easily though. The most important thing among this range is still probably what kind of frequency map you prefer, though my previous sentences are based on just sound quality, not preference.

The popular low-end earbuds may not sound better than Rock Zircon and various KZs to some people, but they certainly don't sound much worse if at all. And why would they, since they are basically a more open-back IEM with a bigger "ear pad" opening. My KZ ED8 puts up a good fight against Qian25, but I'd probably go with the Qian most of the time, except on comfort. You know something needs some help in the comfort department when you prefer to stick the ED8 Frankenstein bolts in your ears.

Anyone who says any of the above sound as good or better than HD650 or similar though, I think they should listen again, and stop using their HD650 without an amp.

Aug 29, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #3,426 of 31,834

Perhaps you could try out the relatively inexpensive VE Monks (around $5 + shipping) or the **** PT15 to see if you still feel the same way about it. They're both relatively inexpensive and very well regarded and, in my opinion, I know at least one of those sounds very nice.

Aug 29, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #3,427 of 31,834
Perhaps you could try out the relatively inexpensive VE Monks (around $5 + shipping) or the **** PT15 to see if you still feel the same way about it. They're both relatively inexpensive and very well regarded and, in my opinion, I know at least one of those sounds very nice.

I agree. I own the ED9s and I often prefer the Monks over them. Both have their ups and downs but for $5, the Monks aren't a slouch. They also activate high impedance mode on my V20 which is a huge plus for me.

Aug 29, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #3,429 of 31,834
I'd take the cheap Qian25 buds over Rock Zircon and similar on sound quality. It's not like they're a huge step up since these are still lower-end items we're talking about, but it's easily noticeably better sound quality imo. And the bit bigger soundstage is certainly welcome, which Zircon is already better than average at.

Earbuds don't fit in the ear as easily though. The most important thing among this range is still probably what kind of frequency map you prefer, though my previous sentences are based on just sound quality, not preference.

The popular low-end earbuds may not sound better than Rock Zircon and various KZs to some people, but they certainly don't sound much worse if at all. And why would they, since they are basically a more open-back IEM with a bigger "ear pad" opening. My KZ ED8 puts up a good fight against Qian25, but I'd probably go with the Qian most of the time, except on comfort. You know something needs some help in the comfort department when you prefer to stick the ED8 Frankenstein bolts in your ears.

Anyone who says any of the above sound as good or better than HD650 or similar though, I think they should listen again, and stop using their HD650 without an amp.

I'm personally not a fan of the sound signature on the Zircons, the high-mids are too harsh sounding and there's no detail in the upper highs making the treble sound really artificial. And the lows sounds too congested. I prefer the KZ ED9 over the Zircon any day.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #3,430 of 31,834
I just received and started listening to the Boarseman KR25D and started listening to them. Here are some very very very early impressions.

My first track with them was Porcupine Tree's Mellotron Scratch and there's something about the first riff that feels a bit weird, as if it sounds more like a plastic instrument than a guitar, though this is the only track and only example I've heard so far that had this effect.

Then I moved on to Trains by the same band. One of the things that surprised is that despite being V-shaped and pretty pronounced in that regard, if audio-budget's measurings are accurate, was how clear Steven Wilson's voice is despite being sung within a warm sounding blanket of bass. Compared to one of my current favorites and go-to, the Tennmak Pro, they sound a bit brighter without being sibilant and a bit richer thanks to that warm blanket of bass that gives the sound, for lack of a better word, a very "filling" quality to it.

It remains to be seen whether I'll find this enjoyable and tiring after a few hours but for now I can say I am pleased with them. Once I get home I will compare them to some of my KZ earphones like the ZS3, ZS1, ED9 and ATR which are similarly "bassy" or well regarded for similar reasons to see how they hold up. From memory though, which isn't the most reliable tool, I don't think any of them will be able to beat the way these KR25D render their highs but that remains to be seen.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #3,431 of 31,834
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...nti-noise-microphone/1455660_32824180948.html

These (QCY Y1) look like a rebrand/clone of Uiisii T8, but at a much lower price. Ayone tried them? Were original Uiisii any good?

Just got these yesterday and they're fantastic. I think they're a rebrand of the UiiSii BA-T8 as the pictures showed a BA.

They've took them off sale now but they were a real bargain at £7.

Really wide soundstage as they're open backed and great detail across all frequencies

Sep 2, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #3,432 of 31,834
I got them last week, and yes, they don't sound bad at all. Quite a bit different than ZS5 I'm listening to the most right now.
Ergonomics are great for me, they really sit tight and are very comfortable.
I don't like the cable, though. A bit stiff and volume controls are missing as opposed to UiiSii, so it isn't really a rebrand, but rather a clone, copy.

Sep 2, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #3,433 of 31,834
I have the UiiSii T8's and have to say I like the fit, the design is really good. I find them very easy to insert and get a good seal. The cable is a bit microphonic. Sound wise they are quite neutral, very pleasant to listen to.

Sep 2, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #3,434 of 31,834
Just got these yesterday and they're fantastic. I think they're a rebrand of the UiiSii BA-T8 as the pictures showed a BA.

They've took them off sale now but they were a real bargain at £7.

Really wide soundstage as they're open backed and great detail across all frequencies

How about the QKZ-KD4 costing around 6.00 EUR / 7.00 USD ?

They look like the UiiSii BA-T8 and the QCY-Y1.

Link: https://www.aliexpress.com/af/qkz-k...SB_20170902031740&origin=n&catId=0&isViewCP=y

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #3,435 of 31,834

If only I could share the Rose Mojito with you. Obviously not an entry level bud (goes for 200+ usd), but wow. You'd change your tune for sure :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back