CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Mar 12, 2023 at 12:28 AM Post #31,336 of 31,833
What do you guys think of the rs2 ? I had a chance to Get a used one for 250 but hesitated a bit much and it was gone. Might snag the next one available.

I initially wanted an RS6 but no good deals available here anymore and the retails is not an amount I’m comfortable spending.

Will be my first DAP. I’m using cayin RU6 currently mainly with my mest mk2.

Mar 12, 2023 at 12:32 AM Post #31,337 of 31,833
Did anyone here tested the Kotori Dauntless?

@Zerstorer_GOhren agree with @NymPHONOmaniac , the Kotori Dauntless is a neutral bright super sterile and analytical set. Very technical for a single DD, but it is for trebleheads. Very boosted treble, unnatural timbre and fatiguing.

yes I have.....very niche bright analytical tuning....technicaly impressive but fatiguing and not very musical to my ears.
i still think its a promising audio company...

Kotori are actually better known for their cables. They actually have a 1 BA IEM currently in the midst of being produced, I tested the beta version, quite nice U-shaped tonality, not too bad technically, and quite natural sounding. It is called the Kotori Vampire. Have great hopes for that one.

Mar 12, 2023 at 3:55 AM Post #31,338 of 31,833
@Zerstorer_GOhren agree with @NymPHONOmaniac , the Kotori Dauntless is a neutral bright super sterile and analytical set. Very technical for a single DD, but it is for trebleheads. Very boosted treble, unnatural timbre and fatiguing.

Kotori are actually better known for their cables. They actually have a 1 BA IEM currently in the midst of being produced, I tested the beta version, quite nice U-shaped tonality, not too bad technically, and quite natural sounding. It is called the Kotori Vampire. Have great hopes for that one.
I want to know more about your impression on Kotori Vampire, mate.

Mar 12, 2023 at 6:24 AM Post #31,339 of 31,833
What do you guys think of the rs2 ? I had a chance to Get a used one for 250 but hesitated a bit much and it was gone. Might snag the next one available.

I initially wanted an RS6 but no good deals available here anymore and the retails is not an amount I’m comfortable spending.

You missed out on a great deal, Now Sony WM1A MK1 is available at a crazy deal. If I were at your place I would have grabbed that in an instant.

Mar 12, 2023 at 6:26 AM Post #31,340 of 31,833
I want to know more about your impression on Kotori Vampire, mate.

I met the Kotori boss in Singapore. It was about 1.5 years back, he already had the prototype for the Vampire and some alternate tunings (I think there were 3 versions). He was a bit dissatisfied with the shell and wanted to perfect it, but I think Covid forced some production issues. Not sure what is the status now. I hope to check it out at the upcoming Canjam Singapore at the end of this month to see if there is any update.

Mar 12, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #31,341 of 31,833

oh yes I remember now. make...age their on it. not to be grumpy but alas single BA doesn't interest me anymore, its too limited in transient flexibility and well bass just never reach 20hz....and to achive marvel like with ER4 you need deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep insertion lol

im curious to know what you consider expcetional sound value, would love to put your list in front page if your into it. goal is to be diversify, yet super severe, so, small Top sound value list that focus on high technical performance value but with minimal or great sens of musicality (versatile enough tonal balance)

lol, i rave a bit about Headphonesty lately (which your part of), underlining its legit unbiased audio review site. one of few i suggest. any suggestions for very critical reviewer blog mate? im trying to plunge back into it. but chill way, im in competition with no one but myself.

Mar 12, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #31,342 of 31,833
You missed out on a great deal, Now Sony WM1A MK1 is available at a crazy deal. If I were at your place I would have grabbed that in an instant.
how much mate? not online??
while my Questyle QP2R im listening right now could be my End Game DAP when it come to natural musicality (just crazy how it pair well with Penon Fan2 right now....) its not the most powerful and battery life suck due to being a old batch....

im seeking for my end game DAP....non Android way....sub 1000$ used or new if possible. any suggestions VERY welcome!

Mar 12, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #31,343 of 31,833

I have the rs2 mate. And for some reason, I liked it more than the Questyle qp2r. which @NymPHONOmaniac and @Zerstorer_GOhren have. and me as well. My sound preference leaning to more natural and organic- analog sound which the rs2 justified for my ears. If you are into this kind of sound, the rs2 will give you eargasm. some users say it is better than ru6, but I haven't tried that dongle yet, so I can't really say. Despite the analog sound signature, rs2 is still saturated and rich in details.

the rs2 sound opens up a little bit more after the 100 hour mark. I didn't kept track what hour I'm at with my rs2, but I think it is opening up quite nicely. If I have to guess, I'm at 85 hour maybe.

I'm pretty sure for a first dap, the rs2 will not disappoint.

cheers!

Mar 12, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #31,344 of 31,833
I have the rs2 mate. And for some reason, I liked it more than the Questyle qp2r. which @NymPHONOmaniac and @Zerstorer_GOhren have. and me as well. My sound preference leaning to more natural and organic- analog sound which the rs2 justified for my ears. If you are into this kind of sound, the rs2 will give you eargasm. some users say it is better than ru6, but I haven't tried that dongle yet, so I can't really say. Despite the analog sound signature, rs2 is still saturated and rich in details.

the rs2 sound opens up a little bit more after the 100 hour mark. I didn't kept track what hour I'm at with my rs2, but I think it is opening up quite nicely. If I have to guess, I'm at 85 hour maybe.

I'm pretty sure for a first dap, the rs2 will not disappoint.

cheers!
its true that RS2 is a fabulous DAP, i get a one month loan of this....whish I can keep it since I discover at very last minute the INCREDIBLE line out potential.... mate, this is like having a pure standalone R2R DAC, you most try it asap.

it show that lot of its warmth come from amping section, since it can scale up in clarity yet keep a tube like smoothness, less euphonic, more organic way.
and well, I will cry again since i have a RS6 loan im intensely addicted too...rediscovering all my IEM with it....End Game for sure. even if i dont use the android aspect of it. and battery while OK, isn't mind blowing, RS2 battery is longer...but my nitpick for RS2 would be very small touch screen...for big thumbs like mine, its problematic.

very happy you find a DAP that trigger you sens of musicality. for ex, Tempotec V6 doesnt, yet, i still rave about its intense sound value, its just lack bith of mid range density and fowardness, so it keep me distant from vocalist and instrument i enjoy the most.
mix RS2 with V6, and you get an RS6.

ok, for anyone interested, ill link my RS2 review here, since...hum, my video channel will change direction and assume my controversial persona. youll understand what i mean with last video loading right now hum...sometime, when a man have nothing to loose, its when he got wings to fly.

Mar 12, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #31,345 of 31,833

you can check my headfi or video review mate, but this is a good DAP. Open, airy, bassy, euphonic tonality, with minimal transparency and potential to scale up using pure line out for DAC.
if you favor tone timbre of instrument of vocal and want an immersive listen that doesnt feel distant, its an highly addictive holographic musicality, permisse of bad recording too since treble is smooth. everything is smooth with RS2.

Mar 12, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #31,346 of 31,833
I might mention it here also, the Cayin RU6 is perfect to pair with your phone or DAP if you want the R2R magic. I have sort of laughed about dongles costing more than $100, But now I am in love with it and need to order one for myself. Had around 1 hour with it last day on a show floor, and its clearly punching high and deserves its price.
334973215_1142722913063940_2278223101044589805_n.jpg

Mar 12, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #31,347 of 31,833
I might mention it here also, the Cayin RU6 is perfect to pair with your phone or DAP if you want the R2R magic. I have sort of laughed about dongles costing more than $100, But now I am in love with it and need to order one for myself. Had around 1 hour with it last day on a show floor, and its clearly punching high and deserves its price. 334973215_1142722913063940_2278223101044589805_n.jpg
congrats for the new fabulous toy mate!
yes for money no concern audiophile choice, it seem sure a good choice, but my opinion is clear about dongle, anything above 200$ is a bit ridiculous for sound value seeker since your into entry level DAP territory, then 300$ your near mid tier DAP territory etc...

i say that and do love my Questyle M15, highly suggested when on sale....ive seen it selling for 180$ quite often. yet, power output is limited a bit...
how about amping power of this one?

Mar 12, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #31,348 of 31,833
I do hope it will go down to around 200 before ordering one, unless the summer bonus from work is good. Also have R6 III arriving tomorrow, should be a great ESS based DAP similar to it's little brother R3.

The fun part with then also owning a R2R dongle is to change it up from ESS to R2R whenever you want. Did also look into R2R DAPs, but the clear value of the R6 with full android 12 and fast chipset is a great one 👌

Mar 12, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #31,349 of 31,833
I do hope it will go down to around 200 before ordering one, unless the summer bonus from work is good. Also have R6 III arriving tomorrow, should be a great ESS based DAP similar to it's little brother R3.

The fun part with then also owning a R2R dongle is to change it up from ESS to R2R whenever you want. Did also look into R2R DAPs, but the clear value of the R6 with full android 12 and fast chipset is a great one 👌
oH! an Hiby R6iii??
that sure intrigue me, sub-500$ DAP competitivity is a bit stagnant it seem....so I wonder what this one offer....i might try one too since im really into Hiby DAP lately....
i wanna underline that i have nothing with audiophile non budget minded quest, nor not high sound value, its just that this thread will focus on this, but we need to know about what other products sound like too.

for ex, in term of sound value, which IEM will you consider exceptional mate?

dongle wise, Jcally JM20 for 20$, Moondrop Dawn 4.4 for 65$ is my go too choice, both use 1 or 2 CS43131, a dac chip im very afound of.

i was expecting more and longer hyping of the Truthear Shio since its cheapest dongle ever using dual CS43138, yet, this dac isnt as easy as CS43131 to implement it seem....have you try it?

highest sound value price range is 100-300$ for me. in that range, it can be legit to say it can compete with 500-1000$ IEM for ex...
im still trying to conclude if Penon Fan2 is among those, but while comparing to 500$ Kinera Skuld, my answer tend to be big yes. Raptgo Hook X HBB too. Hisenior Mega5P as well. Tinhifi P1plus intense big yes....etc

EDIT: PS: see, i just read this (on NBBA) after making this headfi post
''I've had the fiio m11 plus ltm and I like the cayin ru6 much better. I think the hifiman will be much better?! I don't know maybe yes. thanks for your help and time''
so, i might be wrong about RU6 sound value! lol

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #31,350 of 31,833
oh yes I remember now. make...age their on it. not to be grumpy but alas single BA doesn't interest me anymore, its too limited in transient flexibility and well bass just never reach 20hz....and to achive marvel like with ER4 you need deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep insertion lol

im curious to know what you consider expcetional sound value, would love to put your list in front page if your into it. goal is to be diversify, yet super severe, so, small Top sound value list that focus on high technical performance value but with minimal or great sens of musicality (versatile enough tonal balance)

lol, i rave a bit about Headphonesty lately (which your part of), underlining its legit unbiased audio review site. one of few i suggest. any suggestions for very critical reviewer blog mate? im trying to plunge back into it. but chill way, im in competition with no one but myself.

I quite agree with all your ratings, we hear gear similarly! Your blog is very good too! I check it out now and then.

ya single BA have limitations in extension at both ends, it is a physics limitation and arguably the weakest driver config.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back