CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 4, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #29,521 of 31,867
Hey first time poster longtime lurker

21 year old bass player coming from doing live sound and a musical family

I’ve got a pair of CCA 12 balanced iems but I find them quite shrill

I’m wanting to use these for bass guitar iEM for a 5 string

And for music. I’d love flat response but a HP roll off on the low end at about 20 hz would be good

Anyone have any recommendations?
Don't know but bass guitar sounds good with ZEX/NRA

Jan 4, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #29,522 of 31,867
Hey first time poster longtime lurker

21 year old bass player coming from doing live sound and a musical family

I’ve got a pair of CCA 12 balanced iems but I find them quite shrill

I’m wanting to use these for bass guitar iEM for a 5 string

And for music. I’d love flat response but a HP roll off on the low end at about 20 hz would be good

Anyone have any recommendations?

Any budget in mind?

Most IEMs don't reach to 20 hz actually. Or even if they do, that frequency is felt rather than heard as a visceral rumble, and in live monitoring, it is rather noisy and most people can't perceive that 20 hz area in live performances.

Jan 4, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #29,523 of 31,867
IMG_20220104_183222.jpg

I finally completed the chain I walways wanted... And everything shown here is already outdated. Isn't it?

Jan 4, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #29,524 of 31,867
Any budget in mind?

Most IEMs don't reach to 20 hz actually. Or even if they do, that frequency is felt rather than heard as a visceral rumble, and in live monitoring, it is rather noisy and most people can't perceive that 20 hz area in live performances.
Source is also very important. I find that lower end AKM and cirrus logic dacs don't rumble as deeply.

ESS Sabre dacs, higher end cirrus logic dacs like the cs43198 or the AKM 4497/4499 have well extended rumble.

Jan 5, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #29,527 of 31,867
Can anyone offer ideas as to the best IEMs for classical & acoustic only, $50-$125 or so?

Thanks!

Moondrop Aria 2021, or TForce Yuan Li (not the dark soul version which has different tuning). Or HZSound Heart Mirror.

Jan 5, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #29,528 of 31,867
Jan 5, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #29,530 of 31,867
Kz as12, as16, ast, asx i think
AS16 are my favourable (and wide-nozzle ASX), the enhanced treble often works very well for most commonly treble-gentle classical recordings.
If treble is a concern, then AST can work well, especially with brighter sources. Opposite to AS16, the AST bass is more prominent.

Jan 5, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #29,531 of 31,867
Thanks baskingshark & Tzennn -

I should have been clearer. I'm looking for for airy and extended treble with a bit pushed bass (some kind of V, U, or W shape as I listen at medium volume and lower, which fits all recommended except maybe Heart Mirror). How is the treble on Aria & Yuan Li (monitor)? Are they perhaps a bit tame? How is the bass on Heart Mirror? I'm looking at Kzs.

Thanks!

Jan 5, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #29,532 of 31,867

I should have been clearer. I'm looking for for airy and extended treble with a bit pushed bass (some kind of V, U, or W shape as I listen at medium volume and lower, which fits all recommended except maybe Heart Mirror). How is the treble on Aria & Yuan Li (monitor)? Are they perhaps a bit tame? How is the bass on Heart Mirror? I'm looking at Kzs.

Thanks!
Originally I thought I was gonna buy my big brother a CCA CRA until my nephew found some spare wireless IEMs for him. Wonder if that one may be worth looking into even though it goes for like $20.

Jan 5, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #29,534 of 31,867
Do you own any iems from other brands? Lol. Then again I do have 5 BQEYZ iems...
Haha. Well in 50-100$ range it's hard to recommend other iem that can do better job at spamming ba like kz, also all ba always have better layering than some single dd so :/ hard to not recommend kz

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #29,535 of 31,867

Thanks!
Oh then you can try ZAX, good tuning, good detail, enough treble extension but the bass isn't detail and fast enough, slight incoherence and staging is average. Still a really good kz iem but if you can eq, just buy full ba iem, they're so much better.
Also single dd is really good for casual listening but not layering, separation, detail; they can't beat hybrid or full ba iem. From my memory my kz zsn pro x and zax both beat hz heart mirror in term of detail/ treble extension ... Or it just hasrh and i'm deaf
Edit: almost forgot gk10... They're good aswell but have roll off under 100hz, with vent blocked the bass can be too much

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back