CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Aug 2, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #28,531 of 31,833
Aria sounds like it has more wide soundstage in turn more treble and less excitement at the same time than i desire, maybe less forward too (relatively) in the midrange.
You can check out Tennmak Trio, costs around $50 with all the accessories and ~$30 if you just buy a pair of earheads. Comes with three tuning filters and the black and white filters should be good enough for your use case.

Aug 2, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #28,533 of 31,833
We'll save that spot for a more fitting 'phone, meanwhile if that would work (compatible) with a tablet.. on point recommendation thanks :), if i could only find one that is priced 80$ and not a 300$ 600$ with ameliorated sound quality with the same sound signature.
Tin Hifi T2 Plus ($45)
Moondrop SSP ( $40; AFAIK it requires amp)
TRN TA1 ($28)
Vsonic VS7 (~$120; super perfect for your use case as it can be optimally driven by a phone)
Tennmak Trio ($30 & $57)

All of these are very safe in the treble and yet have very good midrange presentation and have bang on neutral bass.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #28,534 of 31,833
Tin Hifi T2 Plus ($45)
Moondrop SSP ( $40; AFAIK it requires amp)
TRN TA1 ($28)
Vsonic VS7 (~$120; super perfect for your use case as it can be optimally driven by a phone)
Tennmak Trio ($30 & $57)

All of these are very safe in the treble and yet have very good midrange presentation and have bang on neutral bass.
Cool, I'll check out Vsonic VS7, meanwhile i just searched "relatively forward midrange" and may come up with promising options, if "safe" rolled off but exciting, fun, engaging also.

This is my perfect page (and the one before it for what am looking for): https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-ws99-ws77-pg-57.650449/page-17

Aug 2, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #28,535 of 31,833
Cool, I'll check out Vsonic VS7, meanwhile i just searched "relatively forward midrange" and may come up with promising options, if "safe" rolled off but exciting, fun, engaging also.

This is my perfect page (and the one before it for what am looking for): https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-ws99-ws77-pg-57.650449/page-17
What type of music genre do you enjoy the most? Honestly Tanchjim Tanya does good job even with laptop dongle playing random youtube on browsers.

There is a hyped and well deserve monster priced with $46 and it sound par or surpasses most of $sub300, and to some extent it can sound better than best of the best for some tracks. Try check GeekWold GK10, Sennheiser and Shure isn’t even a discussion anymore they can make up to A grade range IEM nowadays, but not any better, buying those you probably would have to admit paying premium on branding intangibles to the logo.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #28,536 of 31,833
I would say for choosing a headphone: rock, the others are just what i think i listen to: electronic (instruments mostly), lounge, hip hop, rap, r&b, soundtracks, mainly mainstream all time hits, pop etc. Rpgwizard on that page matches my preferences.. thanks for your accommodation here though and dac advice! Check my post about the recommendation form, you'll find a playlist there hopefully you can enjoy :)

Aug 3, 2021 at 12:42 AM Post #28,537 of 31,833
I think you should go for Aria and a good DAC like Fiio BTR5/Qudelix 5k. This is a very competent setup and would cost you ~$200 i.e. well within your budget of ~$300

Tanchjim Tanya for $20 is also a very good one for a backup pair. With extra cash you can get one and still save $80.
Currently using Tanya+BTR5, its pretty damn good for music.
Tanya might not have the clarity or technically of more expensive IEMs but the musicality and its full vocal is damn satisfying.

While its great for music, for gaming, I wish it have a bit bigger soundstage tough. Tanya have great layering and decent imaging but the smaller soundstage is something definitely felt during gaming.

Aug 3, 2021 at 1:04 AM Post #28,538 of 31,833
What type of music genre do you enjoy the most? Honestly Tanchjim Tanya does good job even with laptop dongle playing random youtube on browsers.

There is a hyped and well deserve monster priced with $46 and it sound par or surpasses most of $sub300, and to some extent it can sound better than best of the best for some tracks. Try check GeekWold GK10, Sennheiser and Shure isn’t even a discussion anymore they can make up to A grade range IEM nowadays, but not any better, buying those you probably would have to admit paying premium on branding intangibles to the logo.
Audio Technica ATH-e40 is still pretty decent.
It have weird fit tough, i got mine second hand as the previous owner can't wear it "right".

Aug 3, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #28,540 of 31,833
I used to like the E40 but gave mine away many years ago. I liked its bass slam but vocals sounded a little wonky and affordable IEMs now (like the Aria) scale better and beat it at its own strength (dynamics)
Its very receptive to cable changes but it have unique plug which makes cable hunting a bit annoying.
I broke my decent cable for it (third time) and as i move on to different IEMs, i haven't been bothered to find good replacement for it.
I have one not so good cable for it now, in case i need to use it.

Personally its one of first flatter iem i used, as my other iem at the time is mostly V shaped and whatever Auglamor RT-1 is, so its interesting to listen and the positioning of things is a bit different than i usually hear.

Aug 3, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #28,541 of 31,833
Very interesting discussion.

I like a lot Tanya and generally I don't like to much neutral buds, I prefear harmanish curve.

How may you compare Moondrop Aria and similar iems with Ibasso IT00 and Whizzer Kylin HE01?

Aug 3, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #28,542 of 31,833

I like a lot Tanya and generally I don't like to much neutral buds, I prefear harmanish curve.

How may you compare Moondrop Aria and similar iems with Ibasso IT00 and Whizzer Kylin HE01?

I have both Aria & HE01 :). Vocal on HE01 is just lust, sweet, & soft. HE01 has more midbass, while Aria has more subbass. Overall, Aria is much better through the frequency range, with better details as well :).

Still, if you want some light (physically) & easy to drive, HE01 is a very good option :).

Aug 3, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #28,543 of 31,833

Both Aria and Tanya follow Harman Target curve. Don't know about other two IEMs. So yes, you will definitely like Aria if you like Haramn-ish signature.

Aug 3, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #28,544 of 31,833
Audio Technica ATH-e40 is still pretty decent.
It have weird fit tough, i got mine second hand as the previous owner can't wear it "right".
I heard TRN was started by ex-ATH & ex-KZ engineer, the tuning of TRN sometime reminds me of ATH sometime, to me TRN was a mix of KZ V + ATH Japanese V, may not sound very good to most of audience but they matches to some J-POPs.

Aug 3, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #28,545 of 31,833

Aria’s LCP driver is more elastic one than Carbon Nanotube (CNT) used for starfield or Diamond-Like-Carbon(DLC) used for many others in the same range, makes the impluse response more natural and fast IMO.
049CDD10-74A2-4B29-B620-977D6191A8B1.png

I haven’t seen anyone measured those, but surely my ear can tell there a distinct difference in the timbre, like nylon string on acoustic guitar vs iron string on electronic guitar, nylon one sounds more natural.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back