CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jul 11, 2020 at 1:41 AM Post #25,096 of 31,833
Hi, my TRN V90 just broke today, it lasted about 6 months. So I've come here to get recommendations, while I survive on my TinAudio T2.
Is there a current definitive best value of money Chinese IEM costs roughly about the price of the 2 abovementioned earphones?
I'll be backreading the thread too to catch up.

If you could answer these queries, it might help the community to finetune their suggestions better:
1) Music genres you listen to?
2) Preferred sound signature - neutralish, V shaped, midcentric, treble averse/treblehead, bass averse/basshead etc
3) Will you be using the IEM on the go or at home? Ie is drivability and isolation important.

Jul 11, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #25,097 of 31,833
If you could answer these queries, it might help the community to finetune their suggestions better:
1) Music genres you listen to?
2) Preferred sound signature - neutralish, V shaped, midcentric, treble averse/treblehead, bass averse/basshead etc
3) Will you be using the IEM on the go or at home? Ie is drivability and isolation important.

1. Listing in descending order of listening frequency, Kpop, Mandopop, Japanese, Punk, Rock, Ballads, Rap, Pop, Lofi
2. Really not knowledgeable on this, I would say Neutral/Warm/Treble ? (I can only base it off my usage and enjoyment of TRN V90 & TinAudio T2).
3. Using it at home.

Jul 11, 2020 at 3:59 AM Post #25,098 of 31,833
1. Listing in descending order of listening frequency, Kpop, Mandopop, Japanese, Punk, Rock, Ballads, Rap, Pop, Lofi
2. Really not knowledgeable on this, I would say Neutral/Warm/Treble ? (I can only base it off my usage and enjoyment of TRN V90 & TinAudio T2).
3. Using it at home.

Tin T2 is somewhat neutral, whereas the TRN V90 is V shaped (boosted treble/bass).

Looking at your music genres, I think something V shaped or U shaped (U shaped is just a milder V shaped) would work, and something with good technical performance over instrument timbre might be a priority. Maybe at your price range budget, you can read about the KZ ZSX (Terminator), CCA C12, KBEAR KB04.

CCA recently released a CCA CA16, seems to have stellar reviews, though I haven't heard it yet.

Tin HIFI released a Tin HIFI T2 Plus recently too, seems to have more bass than your Tin T2, so also worth a read.

Good luck! And hope the others can recommend too!

Jul 11, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #25,099 of 31,833
Hi, my TRN V90 just broke today, it lasted about 6 months. So I've come here to get recommendations, while I survive on my TinAudio T2.
Is there a current definitive best value of money Chinese IEM costs roughly about the price of the 2 abovementioned earphones?
I'll be backreading the thread too to catch up.

I haven't heard the TRN V90, but i had the T2 before.

I'd suggest the T2 Plus. it sounds different than the old T2 for sure: much better fit, less "in your face" mids presentation, overall smoother tone, less brittle treble, more bass extension and better defined soundstage. it's more neutral sounding than the cold and balanced (tilted to bright) sounding T2
To be honest the only reason i purchased the T2 Plus initially was because the really sweet early bird discount that the dealer in my country offered. I was pretty much not looking for another set of IEM at that time, because i think i had quite enough already.

I'm glad that i did though. It's by far my favorite IEM that i purchase recently.. and i think it's great sounding, regardless the price bracket.

other honorable mentions that I've tried in that price range would be the KZ ZS10 Pro and KZ ZSX.

after that would be the Blon BL03, because it's popular tuning and great price to performance value. but to be fair personally for my taste I like the former three above better.

Jul 11, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #25,100 of 31,833
20200708_080950.jpg

These are a sub-100$ revelation.
The HISENIOR T2.
Selling 80$ right now on official site...but supposedly priced higher before (170$).
Incredible sounding, crisp and clear, precise imaging, fast attack, balanced near neutral W shape, clean oh so clean and detailed....all this ''natural way''. Tigh controlled bass, clear light sub, crisp full mids, fast snappy treble, smooth definition-timbre.

It say it use 2 Knowles BA, my guess its that its a dual BA for low-mids and single BA for treble.

A 2020 favorite!

I have the T2 as well and they are great. More of a gentle V shape.

Jul 11, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #25,101 of 31,833
really? you got me really interested on the BA5
Yes, but bear in mind that I'm a classical music guy. Maybe they won't be right for you. For example, you'll see guys here praising IEMs for having bass with "slam" and sub-bass extension, but I don't care about those things because classical music doesn't really benefit from those capabilities. I've bought a number of IEMs since I got the BA5, but those have only made me appreciate the BA5 more. For example, I got the A6 mini hoping to hear even more resolution and detail, but I thought they only had comparable resolution at the very top of the frequency range that I can hear. They are nice but overall I don't think they are as technically proficient. I initially had reservations about the BA5 because of issues with tonal accuracy, but I don't think that's a serious liability anymore since I started using the TempoTec Sonata HD Pro and flipped Starline tips. But my search continues. I just ordered the TRN VX. :dt880smile:

Jul 11, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #25,102 of 31,833
Yes, but bear in mind that I'm a classical music guy. Maybe they won't be right for you. For example, you'll see guys here praising IEMs for having bass with "slam" and sub-bass extension, but I don't care about those things because classical music doesn't really benefit from those capabilities. I've bought a number of IEMs since I got the BA5, but those have only made me appreciate the BA5 more. For example, I got the A6 mini hoping to hear even more resolution and detail, but I thought they only had comparable resolution at the very top of the frequency range that I can hear. They are nice but overall I don't think they are as technically proficient. I initially had reservations about the BA5 because of issues with tonal accuracy, but I don't think that's a serious liability anymore since I started using the TempoTec Sonata HD Pro and flipped Starline tips. But my search continues. I just ordered the TRN VX. :dt880smile:
I am another classic music listener. I have the BA5 as well. I am currently testing the VX. The bass (in stock form) is linear. Mids are very transparent and detailed and this continues into the treble. Soundstage is very wide and instrumental positioning, layering and separation are very good. I tend to prefer neutral or midcentric tuning such as Tin T4 and T3, BA5, BA10, etc, but this VX is really amazing me with its clarity and detail. I think you will like it!

Jul 11, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #25,103 of 31,833
More on the VX: I am finding them very tip sensitive. After trying Spiral Dots and Spinfits, I have settled on Starlines. Bass is more prominent and overall tonality is warmer. Further improvements came from swapping the stock cable for a Senlee hybrid copper/silver 8 core one. Those who have found the VX too bright may wish to experiment with tip and cable options.

Jul 11, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #25,104 of 31,833
More on the VX: I am finding them very tip sensitive. After trying Spiral Dots and Spinfits, I have settled on Starlines. Bass is more prominent and overall tonality is warmer. Further improvements came from swapping the stock cable for a Senlee hybrid copper/silver 8 core one. Those who have found the VX too bright may wish to experiment with tip and cable options.
OK, you've ratcheted up my anticipation a bit more! :smile_phones: Thanks for the suggestions! It sounds like we're on the same page, which is giving me some confidence!

It's interesting that you've settled on those tips and changed the cable, because that's exactly what this guy did. It was this review that persuaded me to order them.

Jul 11, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #25,105 of 31,833
OK, you've ratcheted up my anticipation a bit more! :smile_phones: Thanks for the suggestions! It sounds like we're on the same page, which is giving me some confidence!

It's interesting that you've settled on those tips and changed the cable, because that's exactly what this guy did. It was this review that persuaded me to order them.

I changed the tips and cable after looking at the video! It worked.

Jul 11, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #25,106 of 31,833

I just watched a review yesterday where the guy said he put on Starlines, different cable, and did a tape mod to one of the vents and was very pleased with the results (as far as bass).

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back