CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jun 15, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #24,736 of 31,833
Personally, I find the treble of almost all TRN, CCA, or KZ IEMs unbearably hot. I think the T2 is a much more effective means to the end of natural and accurate sonic reproduction.
I have read somewhere the newer T2s have different sound signature than those launched initially. Not sure how much is it true, but this really put me off. So, between SSR & v90, I might go with SSR. There is another option of LZ A6mini since these are on sale for around 50 bucks on aliexpress.

Jun 15, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #24,737 of 31,833
I have read somewhere the newer T2s have different sound signature than those launched initially. Not sure how much is it true, but this really put me off. So, between SSR & v90, I might go with SSR. There is another option of LZ A6mini since these are on sale for around 50 bucks on aliexpress.

For the price the Mini 6 will (at least imo) be hard to beat :beerchug:

LZ Mini 6.JPG

Lesson of course you put them in a Tuxedo:smirk: Their worthy a better cable 4 sure:thumbsup:

Mini Tuxedo 6.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #24,738 of 31,833
Is there a sub 50$ chi-fi that mimics the Etymotic ER4SR Frequency response?

Something with pristine clarity & imaging? And with above average sound stage?

I would be listening to using my LG v30. My choice of music is soft rock, pop rock & occasionally some classics. I listen mainly to Scorpions, Beatles & Led Zeppelin.

ER4SR.jpg

So far, I am really partial to TRN v90. Is there something better considering my requirements?
The ER4SR doesn't have pristine imaging and clarity nor does it have good soundstage.

Diffuse field tuning iems aren't the way to go if you want to hear every last beat and breath. Find iems that stick close to the FR of the Fearless Dawn instead (especially in the 20hz to 2khz region,affects how muddy/clear the iems sound).

I'd recommend a good chi-fi hybrid like the KZ ZSX or ZS10 Pro if you want good clarity and detail retrieval.

Jun 15, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #24,740 of 31,833
For the price the Mini 6 will (at least imo) be hard to beat :beerchug:

LZ Mini 6.JPG

Lesson of course you put them in a Tuxedo:smirk: Their worthy a better cable 4 sure:thumbsup:

Mini Tuxedo 6.JPG
I second the LZ A6 Mini. It is one of if not THE most detailed iem under 100 usd.

Jun 15, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #24,741 of 31,833
The ER4SR doesn't have pristine imaging and clarity nor does it have good soundstage.

Diffuse field tuning iems aren't the way to go if you want to hear every last beat and breath. Find iems that stick close to the FR of the Fearless Dawn instead (especially in the 20hz to 2khz region,affects how muddy/clear the iems sound).

I'd recommend a good chi-fi hybrid like the KZ ZSX or ZS10 Pro if you want good clarity and detail retrieval.
From my understanding he tuned the Dawn to his preference target rather than his neutral target. Correct?

Jun 15, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #24,742 of 31,833
Wow! Which cable is that ? Any suggestion on tips? Thanks

The pair in the photo are TA tips but I found the Lg. Auvio's to be a little tighter seal. As for the cable you can get it here off AliEx: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32978880203.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dVNanTe

Of course if you really want to have people gawk at you (you know little kids scream cause they see a snake on your back) this one is like a garden hose for just (think Clint Eastwood flick here) a few dollars more you can go for this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32970249542.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dVNanTe which for it's girth is surprisingly light:astonished:

Actually no heavier than these 8 Core Xiaofan cables: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000165943464.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4decnxva

One One Four.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #24,744 of 31,833
From my understanding he tuned the Dawn to his preference target rather than his neutral target. Correct?
Yes
Yes, the Dawn is far more bass heavy than his neutral target. Treble seems pretty close iirc.
In that case @xeadfi can use the JVC FDX1 with green filter as less bassy point of comparison.

Jun 15, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #24,746 of 31,833
So any sub $100 IEM that gets anywhere close to either Dawn or green filter HA-FDX1
Tin T4 is actually pretty close to the same frequency response as the FDX1. Not as detailed, of course, but I have mine set up with Final E Tips, mainly for lofi and other instrumental hip hop, and I don't find myself wishing I had the FDX1 in my ears when I listen with them.

Jun 15, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #24,747 of 31,833
IIRC, the tuning change was very early in the production of the T2. When it first launched, it had a peakier treble, not as bad as a lot of its Chi-fi kin but still sibilant and fatiguing. After being criticized for these qualities, they altered the tuning, and it's been the same for quite a while. You can distinguish the tunings by the stock cable and foam tips. Early T2 cables are off white at the MMCX connectors, and the foam tips are royal blue. The newer version's cable is clear at the MMCX connectors, and the included foamies are a lighter blue.

Jun 15, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #24,750 of 31,833
Tin T4 is actually pretty close to the same frequency response as the FDX1. Not as detailed, of course, but I have mine set up with Final E Tips, mainly for lofi and other instrumental hip hop, and I don't find myself wishing I had the FDX1 in my ears when I listen with them.
I completely agree, and I also use Final E tips with my T4. I actually really like the sound of the T4 with pure silver cables, but I didn’t like the FDX1 with the same cables. The FDX1 just sounded too intense in the upper mids and lower treble with the silver cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back