Chicago Meet Impressions - June 23rd
Jun 25, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #46 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got to hear my first pair of Grado's. I think I heard every pair at the meet, but I couldn't find one that, imo, didn't sound sucked out in the midrange. I guess I'm not a Grado guy, but I just couldn't see how anyone could get into it. Most people say Grado's make them want to get up and dance and with this expectation in mind I found them quite depressing.

What cans are you comparing them to in order to make this distinction? What I really mean is, which cans have the lush mids?

Jun 25, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #47 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would love to hear 003's sextets on the Zana Duex.

I am getting them recabled with canare starquad and terminated balanced with a balanced to 1/4" adapter
eggosmile.gif

Jun 25, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #49 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by GSurge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What cans are you comparing them to in order to make this distinction? What I really mean is, which cans have the lush mids?

K701's, D5000's, HD6x0's, my CD3K's, heck my ATH-2's outclassed them all I felt. I might just be picky, seeing as I heard some pretty funky things going on with the midrange in a couple Audio Techinca models as well (L3000, W5000), so I'm not just picking on the Grado's. I've just never heard a hi-end can with such acclaim actually make me go "Yuk..." before. The HD600 was pretty close, but it was less "Yuk..." and more "zzzzz SNORE!" than anything else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Absorbine_Sr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Krell + Zana Deux = some damn fine sound. Plus, if you look closely I think we captured that "Roundabout" moment that khbaur330162 mentioned in his earlier post.

623-10.jpg

eek.gif
When did you take that?! I think you might be right. I can't recall another situation that I closed my eyes for any period of time. That NC555ES->GS1->CD3k rig was ROCKING MY WORLD for some reason.
blink.gif

Jun 25, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #50 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek.gif
When did you take that?! I think you might be right. I can't recall another situation that I closed my eyes for any period of time. That NC555ES->GS1->CD3k rig was ROCKING MY WORLD for some reason.
blink.gif

I'm pretty sure that was the moment. Ryan was listening to the Krell/Zana. He had grabbed Fragile, but then put it back and you grabbed it. The shot was taken just after that. I didn't realize you were even in it until I looked at the pics today.

Bliss immortalized.
wink.gif

A_Sr.

Jun 25, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #51 of 90
Wow, another great meet. Thanks to the host (good choice on the Lou Malnati's), and all who brought gear. What can I say, everything sounded great. I accomplished my two "missions": (1) listen, for a 2nd time, to a 4G iMod (thanks again, Skylab), and listen to a 5.5G iMod (thanks to ZLS); and
(2) listen to my humble set-up with a variety of cans.

The bonus was the fact that I got to try the new iMod with all kinds of ALO goodies. I tried both the beautiful wooden dock with the v-cap thingamajobby, and IIRC the jumbo cryo. Both had that black background mentioned above, as well as that separation and detail that I had heard previously with Skylab's iMod. The 4G sounded a little more "iModdy" if that makes any sense, probably because of the time Skylab has put on it. I didn't ask ZLS how long he has had it, but it could not have been long.

I really enjoyed hearing my own set-up with the ALO modded 701s, RS-2s, MSport's Moon Audio recabled GS1000 (the XLR adaptors were bigger than the Hornet! - cool!), Absorbine's new Darths (without question the most bass I have ever heard out of a headphone). I also got to hear (again) Todd's incredible Singlepower - Cardas recabled 650s combo. This time I came armed with my own tunage. And khbauer's modded CD3000s were way cool - the best soundstage I have ever heard from a closed headphone. One final shout out to my first ever encounter with K1000s (thanks MSport!). I could see how a quiet environment is pretty essential to get the full impact of these bad boys, but they sounded pretty incredible to these green ears out of Gil's Melos.

Once again, thanks all, and I look forward to seeing y'all later.

Jun 25, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #52 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Absorbine_Sr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty sure that was the moment. Ryan was listening to the Krell/Zana. He had grabbed Fragile, but then put it back and you grabbed it. The shot was taken just after that. I didn't realize you were even in it until I looked at the pics today.

Bliss immortalized.
wink.gif

A_Sr.

Well from the looks of it (not the picture, just conceptually), my belly had a bit more time to digest that pizza than I originally thought. Anyway, the important thing is -I mean pizza is pretty important too (I'd say I've probably eaten more pizza than any other food in my life time)- is I messed up your "he-man" shot. You guys were talking about posting a pic of just the Krell and Zana with "he-man" underneath it, with no further explanation than that. What's my ugly mug doin' in there?!

Great shot man. One for my Head-Fi photo album, w/o a doubt.
cool.gif

Jun 25, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #54 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by MSport911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Khbaur330162 was just overwhelmed by the "he-man rig", that's all!

MSport911

tongue.gif
Perhaps it was some kind of ultra-hi-end, supersonic "he-man" emission I was intercepting through those huge "hyper-studly" Purple Heart driver housings that my head was encased in. Could this explain my achieved state of audio nirvana through a rig < a mere $1.5k?
wink.gif

Jun 25, 2007 at 6:25 AM Post #55 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am getting them recabled with canare starquad and terminated balanced with a balanced to 1/4" adapter
eggosmile.gif

Hmm, I recommend re-thinking the Canare Starquad idea. I would look into at least some Vampire or Neotech continuous-cast copper wiring..

Jun 25, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #56 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, I recommend re-thinking the Canare Starquad idea. I would look into at least some Vampire or Neotech continuous-cast copper wiring..

That makes for $100+ in wire alone for a $70 pair of headphones. The starquad is far cheaper, and very good wire for the price. The cable job is not for a huge sonic improvement, its a means to fix an old and frail cable without breaking the bank.

Jun 25, 2007 at 7:51 AM Post #57 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I was so impressed with the little Lunchbox II I just ordered one
biggrin.gif

but i thought you were supposed to get the big tube amp?
tongue.gif

Jun 25, 2007 at 8:51 AM Post #58 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And actually I was able at the meet to directly compare a K701 with stock cable, and one recabled with ALO audio cable. The recabled K701 sounded MUCH better. SO much so that I could almost live with them
biggrin.gif

Wow, does that mean the ALO cabled K701 has a decent amount of bass impact?? I'm surprised you would even consider them...

With what amp was that btw?

Jun 25, 2007 at 11:42 AM Post #59 of 90
Incredible-looking meet! I was especially surprised to see a Krell Evolution 505
very_evil_smiley.gif
How did it compare with the other sources?

Jun 25, 2007 at 12:15 PM Post #60 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but i thought you were supposed to get the big tube amp?
tongue.gif

Yeah, I know, but the wallet actually said no to me for a change
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElDanno /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, does that mean the ALO cabled K701 has a decent amount of bass impact?? I'm surprised you would even consider them...

With what amp was that btw?

It was on the HeadAmp. And the recabled K701's did have more bass. I even commented that they had almost enough bass that I might have kept mine of I had had them recabled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back