Chicago Meet Impressions - June 23rd
Jun 25, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #61 of 90
Wow! Some great looking gear. Who knew Krell ever made a headphone amp? Hope you guys had as much fun as it looks like you did. I'm saving my pennies for the Chicago HeadFest. Cute kids Skylab.

Jun 25, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #62 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, I recommend re-thinking the Canare Starquad idea. I would look into at least some Vampire or Neotech continuous-cast copper wiring..

Starquad is OFC copper, afaik, from some research in the diy forums. I don't believe in cables degrading the sound anyway unless there is only one strand of hair-thin wire or something. I am only having them recabled because the stock cable is old and feels very frail and weak. I'm getting it terminated balanced because it's not much extra
cool.gif

Jun 25, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #63 of 90
Cool, is there a balanced amp in your future perhaps?
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 25, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #65 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like you boys had lot's of fun..

how did the denon's sound compared to 600's/650's? I always wanted to try those badboys!

You know... it was an interesting comparison. I had HD580's and really liked them... and I sold them the day I got my Denon's.

At the meet, I put HD650's w/ Cardas up against the Denon's... and they sounded positively boring. I was finally hearing the "laid back" that everyone talks about. They sounded ok, but I feel the Denon's were quite better.

If your curious to how they sound, i'd be willing to swap them with your GS-1k for a week :p. I think I am going to buy a pair... would like to get a bit more intimate with them. I know there quite a bit more pricey... but I'll throw the offer out anyways :p

Jun 25, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #66 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gil Schwartzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know... it was an interesting comparison. I had HD580's and really liked them... and I sold them the day I got my Denon's.

At the meet, I put HD650's w/ Cardas up against the Denon's... and they sounded positively boring. I was finally hearing the "laid back" that everyone talks about. They sounded ok, but I feel the Denon's were quite better.

If your curious to how they sound, i'd be willing to swap them with your GS-1k for a week :p. I think I am going to buy a pair... would like to get a bit more intimate with them. I know there quite a bit more pricey... but I'll throw the offer out anyways :p

well we could meet up if your by the midway area, hell maybe even have a mini meet in the process..you up?

Jun 25, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #67 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Incredible-looking meet! I was especially surprised to see a Krell Evolution 505
very_evil_smiley.gif
How did it compare with the other sources?

The remote was crazy heavy; built very well for a remote.
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow! Some great looking gear. Who knew Krell ever made a headphone amp? Hope you guys had as much fun as it looks like you did. I'm saving my pennies for the Chicago HeadFest. Cute kids Skylab.

Sweet! You should totally fly on up here for HeadFest. You brining your Chocolate Donuts and Dual Darkvoices?
wink.gif

Jun 25, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #68 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well we could meet up if your by the midway area, hell maybe even have a mini meet in the process..you up?

Possibly. I am not near midway at all... i'm about an hour west of Chicago. Normally, I'd be all down for it, but I am in the process of moving, which leaves me strapped for time... it was pure luck that I managed to make it to this meet as it was. Between overloading at work to tie up loose and train my replacement before I go, dealing with house showings, ect... I don't generally have an entire day off to dedicate to a get together. Thats why I proposed a quick swap. Gives me a few days to demo at my leisure with my entire music collection at my fingertips

Jun 25, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #69 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool, is there a balanced amp in your future perhaps?
evil_smiley.gif

well... Assuming ken comes through and I get the storm do2a dac, that will have fully balanced outputs, and there is a mod for the Juli@ to get full I2S output, so all that would leave is the amp...
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 25, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #71 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Incredible-looking meet! I was especially surprised to see a Krell Evolution 505
very_evil_smiley.gif
How did it compare with the other sources?

Hard to say. Though it was feeding my amp, everything else was off spec for me. The combo was assembled late to give MSport911 the chance to hear the Zana Deux with his source. I listened to it with the GS-1000's, in meet conditions (people talking) so I really can't say. It was better than my XRAY v3 (duh!), but was it megabucks better? I can't say. Ryan listened for a bit with his own cans, and he knows the signature of the Zana, so maybe he can add his comments. I will say it was a damn fine sounding combo. And one I'm pretty sure my wallet will never afford!

A_Sr.

Jun 25, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #72 of 90
Hi all, I'm late to post but I also wanted to add my voice to the chorus thanking Ryan for organizing the meet and to everyone else for letting me listen to the equipment they brought. I had a great time.

Jun 26, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #73 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The remote was crazy heavy; built very well for a remote.
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

Sweet! You should totally fly on up here for HeadFest. You brining your Chocolate Donuts and Dual Darkvoices?
wink.gif

If I can make it I'll bring my entire system, and all my headphones.

Jun 26, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #75 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphsci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody have any comments on the Krell headamp (KAV-5?)? Thanks.

Eh, its okay. I would take any of the current top amps over it. RSA, SP, Eddie Current, Meier, etc - all of their hi end amps to my ears are superior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back