Chi-Fi IEM recs?
Sep 28, 2020 at 5:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

th1nk

New Head-Fier
So I don't have any nice wired iems, and was hoping to get a recommendation on some chi-fi wired iems based on what I like/dislike about my current and past headphones. Going chi-fi because I'm happy to use AliExpress and everything else is super marked up in Aus.
I'd like to stay under $100 AUD though I might go higher (max around $200) if there's something there that really fits the bill. Must have swappable cables as I'm horribly clumsy.

They'll be running off a Tempotec Sonata HD Pro and occasionally a topping a30/d30 stack, and using foam tips for noise isolation and comfort (silicone tips don't create a seal in my ears). I listen to a lot of different genres, mostly guitar based but some electronic and vocal-focuses tracks too. I also really like to hear the timbre of the bass guitar in competently produced tracks. I like some low end rumble and can't stand any sibilance or boxiness.

Equipment I have/have tried:

Sennheiser HD 6XX: my favourite headphones but could use a touch more rumble and obviously being bulky and open back I can't take them anywhere. I like the sound stage, the clarity and handling of treble. I don't expect these in an iem but I figure it's a good guide for my tastes.

V-Moda Forza Metallo Wireless: these are my daily drivers and quite close to what I want so I have to be really nitpicky to ask for more. The upper treble sounds a bit artificial (which might be Bluetooth compression, even with aptx) and the soundstage is really narrow. A little more sub-bass would be nice too, though that may be because I don't have any really good fitting foam tips for them yet.

Sony WH-1000XM3: Low end is good but a bit muddy, a little short on clarity and there's a bit of a processed sound going on, but generally pleasant.

Cambridge Audio Melomania 1: The bass has tonnes of rumble and I quite like that but they also have very limited clarity and are very, very muffled.

Galaxy Buds/Galaxy Buds+: These hurt my ears. The highs have way too much sibilance, waaay too much. The bass is drowned out by the treble. Reasonably nice clarity though. I also suspect the scalable codec is stuck at rather low quality because it's scarcely better than SBC.

Superlux HD668B: These also hurt my ears. They have big issues with sibilance and the highs feel really dry and overly bright, albeit quite natural.

Logitech UE4000: these sound like an angry goose trapped in a wet cardboard box.

Hoping someone can help me out!

Sep 28, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #2 of 3
So I don't have any nice wired iems, and was hoping to get a recommendation on some chi-fi wired iems based on what I like/dislike about my current and past headphones. Going chi-fi because I'm happy to use AliExpress and everything else is super marked up in Aus.
I'd like to stay under $100 AUD though I might go higher (max around $200) if there's something there that really fits the bill. Must have swappable cables as I'm horribly clumsy.

They'll be running off a Tempotec Sonata HD Pro and occasionally a topping a30/d30 stack, and using foam tips for noise isolation and comfort (silicone tips don't create a seal in my ears). I listen to a lot of different genres, mostly guitar based but some electronic and vocal-focuses tracks too. I also really like to hear the timbre of the bass guitar in competently produced tracks. I like some low end rumble and can't stand any sibilance or boxiness.

Equipment I have/have tried:

Sennheiser HD 6XX: my favourite headphones but could use a touch more rumble and obviously being bulky and open back I can't take them anywhere. I like the sound stage, the clarity and handling of treble. I don't expect these in an iem but I figure it's a good guide for my tastes.

V-Moda Forza Metallo Wireless: these are my daily drivers and quite close to what I want so I have to be really nitpicky to ask for more. The upper treble sounds a bit artificial (which might be Bluetooth compression, even with aptx) and the soundstage is really narrow. A little more sub-bass would be nice too, though that may be because I don't have any really good fitting foam tips for them yet.

Sony WH-1000XM3: Low end is good but a bit muddy, a little short on clarity and there's a bit of a processed sound going on, but generally pleasant.

Cambridge Audio Melomania 1: The bass has tonnes of rumble and I quite like that but they also have very limited clarity and are very, very muffled.

Galaxy Buds/Galaxy Buds+: These hurt my ears. The highs have way too much sibilance, waaay too much. The bass is drowned out by the treble. Reasonably nice clarity though. I also suspect the scalable codec is stuck at rather low quality because it's scarcely better than SBC.

Superlux HD668B: These also hurt my ears. They have big issues with sibilance and the highs feel really dry and overly bright, albeit quite natural.

Logitech UE4000: these sound like an angry goose trapped in a wet cardboard box.

Hoping someone can help me out!

You can ask the rest at these threads for more recs:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chinese-asian-brand-iem-info-thread.820747/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...nd-impressions-sharing-reference-list.805930/

Off hand a few sets i tried that may suit your preferences:
1) iBasso IT00 - U shaped single DD set. Good technical performance for a single DD. Well extending subbass and treble but not harsh or fatiguing. May have driver flex though. Good timbre.

2) TRI I3 - U shaped 1BA + 1 planar + 1 DD. Very coherently tuned and balanced despite the weird config. Planar mids are sweet. Smooth and non fatiguing except for an occasional 3 khz spike. Needs amping to wake up the planars. Excellent speaker like soundstage when amped.

3) BLON BL03 - very cheap harmanish single DD set that has a midbass bump and a warm analoguish tonality. Excellent tonality and timbre. The bass is a bit slow and has midbass bloat and technicalities not the best. Most need an aftermarket longer eartip or spacer mod as the stock nozzle is too short and affects fit. But for $20ish bucks if u spend a bit of effort to make a better fit, it can compete with $100 sets in timbre and tonality

4) BLON BL05S - a newer BLON that has better fit and better technicalities than the BL03. It has a tamed and faster midbass compared to the BL03, though timbre is slightly poorer. It comes in a radioactive green garish colour too and may distort with louder volumes/EQ.
Take note this is not the BLON BL05 (non S) version, which had poor reviews due to an overly shouty upper mids region.

Good luck with your search!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back