Cheapest way to reduce/eliminate laptop hiss?
Sep 22, 2013 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

vayuu

New Head-Fier
If i were to plug in some headphones into my potato laptop with nothing playing, there is an very audible hiss background sound almost as loud as if someone is taking a shower in the room across to you.

Will the fiio e10/UCA202/sabre usb dac or any of these(http://dx.com/s/usb+sound+card) cheap usb sound cards significantly reduce it?

my meelec a161p suffers the most from this.

thank you

Sep 22, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 5
  If i were to plug in some headphones into my potato laptop with nothing playing, there is an very audible hiss background sound almost as loud as if someone is taking a shower in the room across to you.

Will the fiio e10/UCA202/sabre or any of these(http://dx.com/s/usb+sound+card) cheap usb sound cards significantly reduce it?

my meelec a161p suffers the most from this.

thank you

Most of these soundcard-in-a-stick solutions are not much better than what you've got on board. I haven't heard the e10 but am using the e17 with a very sensitive and detailed headphone and it's one of the best bang-for-buck audio purchases I have ever made. There is no background noise whatsoever and the sound is much more dynamic and detailed than what my laptop is capable of.
Check what people are saying about the e10 in the portable amps section, but for IEMs it should be pretty good.

Sep 23, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #3 of 5
ELE EL-D02 DAC/AMP for $20.  It is a long time favorite here on Head-Fi for a cheap combo that works.

Sep 24, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #4 of 5
I used to encounter this with my DJ laptop and a laptop I used as a media streamer.

One method I recommend against that works quite well is to take a double power adapter and remove the ground pin, then use your laptop through the adapter. This is obviously an electrical risk to both you and your components. 

You can also by especially made ground lifter adapters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back