Cheapest/Most Comfortable for a college student?
Feb 28, 2011 at 4:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dpc1192

New Head-Fier
What would be the CHEAPEST and most comfortable in ear headphones I could get ? I've had Grado SR80s ,AKG81DJs, and some Silver Sennhesiers (They were probably like 80 bucks, surprise from my dad.

I  listen to alot of indie rock, jam bands, some house, and rap.

Any suggestions ? I also want a pair that's fairly durable because I'm generally hard on my things.

I'd probably spend around 100 but show me anything around there you think is respectable. I'll scope out anything under like 200 and would splurge if it seems worth it/hard to turn down. Thanks Alot.

-ONE LOVE-

Feb 28, 2011 at 5:00 AM Post #3 of 10
I'm looking at USED on amazon and those are $90 shipped, seems like a good deal.

How about the Beats in ears for $45 shipped 
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 28, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #5 of 10
how bad are the beats in ears? they just seem like such a steal for $45 shipped.

I'd love to get something pretty good around 50 or so because I'm going to skate with them on, and what not and I'm sure soon enough I will smash them or loose them.

Feb 28, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #6 of 10
IMO, if you are going to be rough on it, I would just get an endless supply of cheap IEM... like meelectronic M6.  They stay in place pretty well and sound very respectable and if you are skating while you are listening, I doubt it matters anyway.  You can get them for $20-$25 from amazon directly with free shipping... get 2 or 3 and you are set for awhile.

Feb 28, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #8 of 10

Hi dude :)

Quote:
What would be the CHEAPEST and most comfortable in ear headphones I could get ? I've had Grado SR80s ,AKG81DJs, and some Silver Sennhesiers (They were probably like 80 bucks, surprise from my dad.

I  listen to alot of indie rock, jam bands, some house, and rap.

Any suggestions ? I also want a pair that's fairly durable because I'm generally hard on my things.

I'd probably spend around 100 but show me anything around there you think is respectable. I'll scope out anything under like 200 and would splurge if it seems worth it/hard to turn down. Thanks Alot.

If you are hard on your things, go to a cheaper model that sounds good. If I were you, I would buy the Meelec M9 for comfort, build and sound quality and price. If you want to go up, the M11+ are your friend. You can buy two pairs with those 80 bucks if I recall correctly.

Also, depending on your tastes, you can try the M-what and buy four packs. Chances are you get enough phones to burn and some high quality ones for little money :wink:

On the other hand, the IE6 is a good option, but you will be able to buy just one pair. Two, if you stretch the budget to 200...

Feb 28, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #9 of 10
For really cheap you could get some V-Moda Bass Freqs for $6 

-http://cgi.ebay.com/V-Moda-Bass-Freq-Orange-Camo-Headphones-FREE-SHIPPING-/320614987004?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item4aa62474fc

or V-Moda Faze for $10

http://cgi.ebay.com/V-MODA-Faze-Audio-earphones-nero-black-iPod-vibe-MP3-/390263794841?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5add88ec99.

I have bought a few times from this seller and the transactions have been smooth. He works for V-Moda so the products are genuine.

For $50 plus shipping I would buy the refurbished Monster Turbines from the Monster Outlet Store:

http://www.monstercable.com/outletstore/linelist.asp

You may need to spend a few dollars more for replacement tips. I have the Turbines and the Beats Tours (genuine) and the Tours are much better. At Christmas, the Beats Tours were available from Monster for $50 but I would not trust buying them online from anyone but an authorized dealer as they are more than likely fake and sound awful.

Feb 28, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #10 of 10
What kind of sound do you like?
How to justify extra dollars spent? An excellent choice is the Sunrise SW X-Cape, v1 is discontinued, but you can still find it here or there.
Another IEM that should sound very very similar (no experience myself) is the RE-ZERO, this one is still available for around $80.
Without amp I would pick the X-Cape or RE-ZERO over the RE-0. With amp, the RE-0.
The X-Cape is light bright than the RE-0 and has more bass quantity.

If it was up to me, I would go and look for a few IEM's instead of just 1. Around $100 buys you a Brainwavz M1, Xears Bullets and a RE-0.
This gives you 3 sound signatures without spending too much money. After that you could decide what sound you like most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back