Cheapest DAC to offer significant sound quality improvement from iPod?
Oct 24, 2011 at 5:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

cactus_farmer

1000+ Head-Fier
At the moment I'm running an iPod Classic through a Fiio E9 (via the line-out dock of the iPod) into Sennheiser HD650's

The reason I didn't go for a Fiio E7 to complement the E9 is that I was originally waiting for the supposedly better E17 to arrive. I have read some reviews that stated that the E7 isn't actually 'BETTER' than the iPod's internal DAC, it just has a different sound character. I'm getting impatient though, and don't want to wait till mid 2012 for the E17!!

So what is the cheapest DAC to offer a significant upgrade from the iPod Classic's internal DAC?

Since I already have the E9 as an amp, ideally it should only be a DAC (ie. not a DAC + amp combo) as if I got a combo I'd be paying for unnescesary components. Also, ideally it should be desktop rather than portable - but that doesn't matter so much.

Thanks in advance for responses!!

Oct 31, 2011 at 8:34 AM Post #3 of 7
Hmmm...aren't the options limited to the Fostex HP-P1 & CypherLabs Algorhythm Solo (CLAS) only of which they're both priced close to each other? Except with the CLAS you'll need to further buy an amp but the HP-P1 a DAC/Amp combo.

There is a 3rd option of the VentureCraft Go-DAP 4.0 designed for the iPhone 4(S) but you can use an iDevice extension cable & it'll work too.

If you're looking at a portable a iDevice DAC, there any other options than the ones mentioned above?

Nov 3, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 7
well we need to know the budget to make recommendations

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
Hmmm...aren't the options limited to the Fostex HP-P1 & CypherLabs Algorhythm Solo (CLAS) only of which they're both priced close to each other? Except with the CLAS you'll need to further buy an amp but the HP-P1 a DAC/Amp combo.
There is a 3rd option of the VentureCraft Go-DAP 4.0 designed for the iPhone 4(S) but you can use an iDevice extension cable & it'll work too.
If you're looking at a portable a iDevice DAC, there any other options than the ones mentioned above?

Those are the only ones I have heard of.  CLAS goes for $$579.00 on aloaudio.com.  The Fostex HP-P1 has a built in amp too and is $649.00.

Nov 5, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #6 of 7
I thought that by using a LOD like the Fiio L1 with something like the Fiio E7 would bypass the internal iPod DAC?

Not to interrupt your thread, but is there any significant difference between plugging in your headphones into the iPod phone jack or using a Fiio E7 or other portable DAC+amp with your iPod? Is it largely noticeable, or more personal preference?

Sep 10, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #7 of 7
No DAC of FiiO will work with any apple product only the amp doesn't mater what cable or what you do. I'm looking for my iPod Classic to use with HD598 they don't need amp only a little more than anything I want a DAC to work with apli FLAC app for my iPhone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back