cheaper alternative to the Vaunix USB Hub?
May 22, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #2 of 19
Yeah I thought about that too, but $200.00?  Try searching for high power or high current usb hubs and good luck.

May 22, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #3 of 19
This looks interesting:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM5930455207P

May 22, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #4 of 19
What on earth are you trying to connect? You know 1A is beyond spec right? (So nothing will/can draw that much power (500 mA is your topside for USB 2.0 - anything else and you need your own power supply) And the reason the Vaunix costs so much is because it's for RF lab use with their quasi-proprietary hardware, right?

Really, this will work fine (for USB logo-compliant devices):
http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DUB-H7-High-Speed-7-Port/dp/B00008VFAF/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1337731637&sr=8-6

May 23, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:
What on earth are you trying to connect? You know 1A is beyond spec right? (So nothing will/can draw that much power (500 mA is your topside for USB 2.0 - anything else and you need your own power supply) And the reason the Vaunix costs so much is because it's for RF lab use with their quasi-proprietary hardware, right?
Really, this will work fine (for USB logo-compliant devices):
http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DUB-H7-High-Speed-7-Port/dp/B00008VFAF/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1337731637&sr=8-6

Well the question is, are you trying to improve the quality of the USB output, or do you just want to add more USB ports? Choose any of hundreds of $10 hubs if you just want more ports. If you want "the best", I'd get the Vaunix, and I'd probably go one further and power it with a LPS in place of the wall-wart.

May 23, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #6 of 19
Well the question is, are you trying to improve the quality of the USB output, or do you just want to add more USB ports? Choose any of hundreds of $10 hubs if you just want more ports. If you want "the best", I'd get the Vaunix, and I'd probably go one further and power it with a LPS in place of the wall-wart.

What are you even on about?

Have I stumbled into a cable religion thread?

May 23, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:
What are you even on about?
Have I stumbled into a cable religion thread?

DC ripple will be present on the power output of the computer and powered hub. It's not a ghost, or fairy dust, it's easily measurable. If that's not something you care about, and you just want to add more USB ports with a hub, as I said pick one, there's a million to choose from. If that IS something you care about, then your going to want a self powered hub with a very clean output - the Vaunix. The AQVOX USB power supply does the same thing, but it's not as technically capable. You're still going to be limited by the Vaunix's wall-wart power supply though. Use an ultra clean linear supply from somebody like Hynes to power the Vaunix, and you've got USB about as good as its going to get.

May 23, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #8 of 19
DC ripple will be present on the power output of the computer and powered hub. It's not a ghost, or fairy dust, it's easily measurable. If that's not something you care about, and you just want to add more USB ports with a hub, as I said pick one, there's a million to choose from. If that IS something you care about, then your going to want a self powered hub with a very clean output - the Vaunix. The AQVOX USB power supply does the same thing, but it's not as technically capable. You're still going to be limited by the Vaunix's wall-wart power supply though. Use an ultra clean linear supply from somebody like Hynes to power the Vaunix, and you've got USB about as good as its going to get.

Ripple from a quality ATX PSU is very low (it has to be, to meet spec), and such a PSU isn't terribly expensive; you gotta get into a documented audibility threshold if you're going to be a meter maid about it. :p Just because you can measure something doesn't mean it matters, or that it's problematic.

The Vaunix doesn't make much sense unless you need their other devices (which is all designed for RF/microwave testing) - if the goal is >500mA from a USB port, it's non-spec (and therefore those devices will bring their own power sources). That's where I figured this question was coming from (the desire to power something that wants >500 mA without extra cables).

May 23, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #9 of 19
I'm just trying to improve the quality of my overall setup. I've neglected the USB output in my signal path. I am starting look at the signal path and want to improve where there are deficiencies but would rather put $200 toward new headphones, DAC, or a tube headphone amp instead of a shot in the dark.

I agree that cables can make a difference (I'm using an Audioquest Carbon USB cable to connect my Apogee Duet 2 to my iMac) but some of the prices I've seen out there are insane. The Audioquest Carbon made a huge difference in decreasing noise and IMO improve the sound quality of my setup. After using several different audio interfaces over the years (EMU 1820, Focusrite Saffire LE, Presonus Firepod, Apogee Duet 2) I couldn't get any of them to perform to my liking. I was surprised by the difference a new USB cable made.

The only power supply upgrade I've done is replace my brand X surge protector with a Monster Pro 1000 (I'm thinking of upgrading to Furman PST-8 DIG power station). I'm not sure that even qualifies as a upgrade. The more I read about clean power, power conditioners, and different power supplies, the more confused I get. 

Current Rig:

Ebtech Hum Exterminators ->
Monster Power Station Pro 1000->
2010 27 Apple iMac ->
Audioquest Carbon USB Cable ->
Apogee Duet 2 ->
Mogami Gold TRS Balanced Patch Cables->
KRK Rokit 5 2nd Gen & Shure SRH 940 & SRH 440

May 23, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:
Ripple from a quality ATX PSU is very low (it has to be, to meet spec), and such a PSU isn't terribly expensive; you gotta get into a documented audibility threshold if you're going to be a meter maid about it.
tongue.gif
Just because you can measure something doesn't mean it matters, or that it's problematic.
The Vaunix doesn't make much sense unless you need their other devices (which is all designed for RF/microwave testing) - if the goal is >500mA from a USB port, it's non-spec (and therefore those devices will bring their own power sources). That's where I figured this question was coming from (the desire to power something that wants >500 mA without extra cables).

Depends on what you mean by "very low". The ATX spec was designed for computer components, not USB DACs. A good linear power supply will have under 1mv of DC ripple. No ATX power supply that I know of can touch that. Whether you need something like the Vaunix depends on the USB component you are using. If the device is completely bus powered like the Hiface, or Audiophilleo, absolutely. If it's self powered but still connected to the USB ground and power line, the difference will likely be smaller but still there. If it's completely isolated from the ground and power line and uses the USB signal only, like the Empirical Off-Ramp, then the Vaunix likely wouldn't make a difference.

Most USB devices are not isolated from the ground and power line.

May 23, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #11 of 19
I'm just trying to improve the quality of my overall setup. I've neglected the USB output in my signal path.
I am starting look at the signal path and want to improve where there are 
deficiencies but would rather put $200 toward new headphones, DAC, or a tube headphone amp instead of a shot in the dark.

I agree that cables can make a difference (I'm using an Audioquest Carbon USB cable to connect my Apogee Duet 2 to my iMac) but some of the prices I've seen out there are insane. 
The Audioquest Carbon made a huge difference in decreasing noise and IMO improve the sound quality of my setup. After using several different audio interfaces over the years (EMU 1820, Focusrite Saffire LE, Presonus Firepod, Apogee Duet 2) I couldn't get any of them to perform to my liking. I was surprised by the difference a new USB cable made.

The only power supply upgrade I've done is replace my brand X surge protector with a Monster Pro 1000 (I'm thinking of upgrading to Furman PST-8 DIG power station)
. I'm not sure that even qualifies as a upgrade. The more I read about clean power, power conditioners, and different power supplies, the more confused I get. 

Current Rig:

2010 27 Apple iMac ->

Apogee Duet 2 ->

A lot of "clean power" stuff is marketing - especially from Monster (always be skeptical of things Monster tells you). Furman and APC make good stuff, but I'm very skeptical you need any of those components for home use. I'm not saying you can't, at some level, measure the differences - but if you're going to measure differences, you also have to stop and measure whether or not they're perceptible to human ears. If you're going to take the entirely subjective tack, and just evaluate things on your own (which is perfectly fine), it's harder to give you good advice - better if you try things out on your own. If that's the case, try the less expensive hub (if you need more ports); if it sounds bad, return it (that's the beauty of Amazon) and try the more expensive model. If that fails, rinse and repeat. :xf_eek:

Personally, I'd put the money into headphones, sources, music, etc. There's lots of other options out there aside from the Shures (and even from Shure) and you might be surprised to find that you like something else better. :)

Jul 20, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #13 of 19
The reason you're getting confused is that most of what you read is old wives tales, bad science, and just plain ********.

The only reason USB cables can affect the sound is because the device on the other end is sensitive to slight variations in the signal timing. Since the signal coming from the PC is already really poor in this regard, this is a major problem. There is also the possibility that noise on the ground or power line may affect the device (the DAC) that you have it connected to. The optimum solution is to get a really good USB converter (like the Audiophilleo), which will remove timing problems caused by both the PC and the cable - and isolate the power as well - at which point you can forget about the PC and the cable. Buying an expensive USB cable is like buying a crystal goblet to carry water from a storm drain. If you want to start at the cheap end, the best under $100 thing would be to try and find a Musical Fidelity V-Link (the original one that only goes to 96/24 - but can usually be gotten for about $100). It's not as good as a premium unit like the Audiophilleo but, by itself, will make more difference than a cable at any price (even if most of the marketing wasn't BS, the best possible cable can't do much to FIX the crummy signal coming from your PC's USB port).

Quote:
I'm just trying to improve the quality of my overall setup. I've neglected the USB output in my signal path. I am starting look at the signal path and want to improve where there are deficiencies but would rather put $200 toward new headphones, DAC, or a tube headphone amp instead of a shot in the dark.

I agree that cables can make a difference (I'm using an Audioquest Carbon USB cable to connect my Apogee Duet 2 to my iMac) but some of the prices I've seen out there are insane. The Audioquest Carbon made a huge difference in decreasing noise and IMO improve the sound quality of my setup. After using several different audio interfaces over the years (EMU 1820, Focusrite Saffire LE, Presonus Firepod, Apogee Duet 2) I couldn't get any of them to perform to my liking. I was surprised by the difference a new USB cable made.

The only power supply upgrade I've done is replace my brand X surge protector with a Monster Pro 1000 (I'm thinking of upgrading to Furman PST-8 DIG power station). I'm not sure that even qualifies as a upgrade. The more I read about clean power, power conditioners, and different power supplies, the more confused I get. 

Current Rig:

2010 27 Apple iMac ->
Apogee Duet 2 ->

Oct 20, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #14 of 19
i had noise/harshenss from my PSU to DAC, used iUSB and the power was so clean,

yet can the D-link- DUB-H4 do something similar as an alternative for the iUSB or? 

May 18, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #15 of 19
Kind of necroposting, but have been doing some research on the subject and have found these two candidates:

$80
https://www.coolgear.com/product/usb-3-0-4-port-industrial-hub-metal-case

and 

$40
http://www.gearmo.com/shop/4-port-usb3-0-hub-with-led-gm-3dh4/

Wrote to Gearmo guys to find out what's the current per port on this hub. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back