Cheap turntables?
Dec 7, 2001 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

DesBen

100+ Head-Fier
I love the vinyl sound, but I think CDs will remain my main source for a while. My system is quite lo-fi (see profile), so the turntable I'd like to add to it needs to be cheap. I'm looking to spend under $200. Is there anything worth it in this price range?

Shopping around, I saw a few Sony, Technics and one Kenwood. The Sonys looked cheap. I didn't have a good feeling about them. The Kenwood looked somewhat better.

On the other hand, the Technics had a more solid feel to them. I'm referring to the SL-BD20 and SL-BD22. Does anyone have experience with those? Do you think it's worth spending the extra money for the 22?

Soundwise, would the technics be much better than the Sony/Kenwood, priced at half their price? Unfortunately, all stores I visited didn't have those models setup for listening.

Thanks!

Dec 7, 2001 at 9:27 PM Post #4 of 17
Oh, I forgot to mention. I want a conveniant table. I like vinyl, but not to the point where I'd want to remove the platter and change the gear on which the belt is on, just so I can switch between 33-1/3 and 45rpm. I think the Music Halls are like that, no? As for the rest, I don't mind setting the head on the record myself.

Dec 7, 2001 at 9:53 PM Post #5 of 17
Keep in mind that you will need a phono preamp if you don't have a phono input on your equipment already. You'll of course also need a cartridge, although the Music Hall comes with one. If you go the used route make sure the cartridge is in good condition or plan on getting a new one, as a worn cartridge is bad news for records.

I have an older Technics SL1700 that picks up the arm at the end of the record, which is kinda nice. It doesn't return it, just picks it up so you don't have to listen to the run-out groove until you lift the arm yourself. It's a direct drive model, although one of the sturdy looking ones. I'd should sell it since I don't use it anymore (I have two other turntables that I do use) so if you're interested let me know, although if you can afford it a Music Hall or Rega is a step up in sound quality. I know the Regas at least have the manual belt change that you don't like.

Dec 8, 2001 at 12:05 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by wab
If I had $200 to spend on a turntable, I'd buy a second hand Thorens. Much better than those cheap new players.

I'll second that. Even an old Dual, or a classic Marantz table would be good. You can find them cheap, and they're way better then those $150-200 tables in stores today.

Dec 9, 2001 at 12:58 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by wab
If I had $200 to spend on a turntable, I'd buy a second hand Thorens. Much better than those cheap new players.

You can further improve the bearing rumble on the Thorens as well by simply making a mixture of Molebdenum DiSulfide and STP and putting it in the main bearing. It will take at least a half hour for the platter to settle back down, but when it does, it will have been worth the trouble!! STP, the audiophile's edge!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2001 at 12:28 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Oh, I forgot to mention. I want a conveniant table. I like vinyl, but not to the point where I'd want to remove the platter and change the gear on which the belt is on, just so I can switch between 33-1/3 and 45rpm. I think the Music Halls are like that, no?

I have an MMF 2.1, and this switch is not hard at all. The platter lifts right off -- it's only held on by gravity. (The platter is cast aluminum, so it's fairly heavy, meaning that gravity is quite sufficient for the purpose.) Then you use the supplied plastic belt-changer-thingy to move the belt from one pulley to another and replace the platter. (The plastic thingy is there so you don't get finger oils on the belt.) It takes all of 10 seconds.

The build quality on this table is incredible for the price. Previously I only used cheap tables, like those sold at Sears in the early 70's, as part of integrated systems. The gimbal system for the arm, the smoothness of the head lowering system, the tweakability of the tracking forces and such -- it's clearly a serious component, not an afterthought like so many other turntables.

Dec 10, 2001 at 1:29 AM Post #10 of 17
I've got an MMF 2.1 also. Love it. Easy to set up, very adjustable, very well reviewed by Stereophile and it just sort of seems to work. Damned good sound for the money, complete with Cartridge.

I got it from Audio Advisor, along with an X-Can phono preamp. My Harmon-Kardon receiver doesn't have a phono input. Speed change is not a problem, less than a minute and that's only because the way it's in my rack it's in an inconvient place to reach.

i've bought several things from AA and had great service from them with no problems.

Dec 11, 2001 at 6:06 PM Post #11 of 17
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the Pro-ject Debut II turntable.

not sure about $US prices, but they go for about 110/140 pounds without/with a phono stage.

Manual and belt-drive.

Comes with Ortofon cartridge.

Damn good value for money.

[edited]
whoops my mistake-

[from http://www.audiotools.com/lp.html ]
(Pro-ject turntables) are sold in the US as Music Hall Audio fitted with a Goldring carts and as Sumiko fitted with their own cart.

Dec 11, 2001 at 6:52 PM Post #12 of 17
I second Pro-ject Debut II with or without phono, or a NAD, but I would aviod all the other Sony, Technics, kenwood, JVC brand. They are not on par with the Pro-ject in terms of Sound quailty, value and built.

The Pro-ject is a belt driven T/T compare to a direct drive from Sony..... Belt driven is better as the vibration from the motor is absorbed by the belt mostly and where the direct drive would sent it straight to the record and cart.

Speed change is done by the adjustment of the belt, remove the platter and move it, Done. It might looked like a good idea that a fully automatic T/T but a manual one like the Pro-ject is far superior, just look at all the high-end T/T, they are all manual, belt driven and not made by Sony, Kenwood.....

Dec 12, 2001 at 12:57 AM Post #13 of 17
raymondlin -- The Pro-ject is the MMF 2 and it's available from Audio Advisor.

Got one. Love it. Wish I could upgrade to the MMF 7, but semi retirement right now is more retired than semi.

Besides, I need to do some work on the Bass Boat. For some reason, I suddenly can't get it over 73 MPH. That won't do. Gotta be 82.

Dec 12, 2001 at 2:41 AM Post #14 of 17
I have the Pro-Ject 1.2, same as the Music Hall 2.1. I love it, a great entry level turntable. It'll give you a taste of the vynil sound, and in my case, let you know that you want to upgrade to a nicer one someday
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 12, 2001 at 3:16 AM Post #15 of 17
FYI: The Pro-Ject 1.2 is NOT the same turntable as the Music Hall MMT 2.1. They are very close (made in the same factory), and you couldn't tell them apart in dim light, but they are different in subtle ways. On visual inspection, the Pro-Ject has a different arm than the Music Hall. It's the same general concept, but the arm is a bit thicker. The platter also has a slightly different configuration, which is visible if you take the felt mats off. Which is better (if either is)? I haven't got the faintest idea.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back