Cheap! PRO-JECT HEAD BOX MK2
Apr 7, 2008 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

deadie

500+ Head-Fier
Anyone heard of this amp?

PRO-JECT HEAD BOX MK2

asumheadbox2.jpg

This thing's like, $99, on sale at Music Direct - so I figured, what the hell? And bought it.

Along with my upcoming $135 AV123 X-Head, I'm plumbing the depths of budget amps!

Review to come!

Apr 7, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 39
looks solid. Want to read your comming review.

Apr 8, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #4 of 39
Actually, the $99 is still in effect, as advertised in their new mailorder catalog that came out today. It was supposed to be just demo / closeout stuff, but the guy gave me a new one and stuck with that pricepoint.

I'm so cheap that if he wanted $129, I wasn't going to do it. I'm a sucker for the whole "99" pricing manipulation mentality.

Apr 8, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #6 of 39
Call the 800 sales line, tell them you saw it for $99 on page 4 of their Spring 2008 catalog and demand satisfaction! Well, that and a new unit for $99.

My sales rep was anxious to hit the road when I called to place the order (they were closing), so he said he'll email me an invoice tomorrow. I'll post his name if it's listed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's the cutest bugger of an amp I've ever seen! How you do get this $99 deal? All I see is just $129.

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #7 of 39
How is the SQ?

Apr 8, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #9 of 39
don't get this. just don't get this. VERY VERY nice build but that's it. sound not good at all and you can use other power cord. i think i portable amp c&c box xo sounds better. you guys can do some search on this one too. this amp has been out for a long time.

Apr 8, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #10 of 39
I appreciate the feedback.

Well, it's the perpetual researcher in me that's just gotta hear it for myself. I believe that the virtue of this hobby is very much ingrained in the journey, not just the end result.

If this amp sucks, it sucks. I'll return it and be out $12 for shipping, but it'll be worth it if only to explore more of this kooky hobby.

Apr 8, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #11 of 39
very nice looking box. reminds me of stax srm-252 mkII.

Apr 9, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #12 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by fhuang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
don't get this. just don't get this. VERY VERY nice build but that's it. sound not good at all and you can use other power cord. i think i portable amp c&c box xo sounds better. you guys can do some search on this one too. this amp has been out for a long time.

No, if you do a search you will see that the information available on these forums mostly pertains to the original headbox, not the headbox II, which is the new revised version that is the subject of this thread. It was the old headbox that was not well received on the forums. The new headbox II and headbox seII does not get much attention here.

Also see my review of the Headbox SE II. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/pro...x-seii-309837/

Apr 9, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackstoneJD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, if you do a search you will see that the information available on these forums mostly pertains to the original headbox, not the headbox II, which is the new revised version that is the subject of this thread. It was the old headbox that was not well received on the forums. The new headbox II and headbox seII does not get much attention here.

Also see my review of the Headbox SE II. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/pro...x-seii-309837/

i thought your's review is headbox se ii, not MK ii.

Apr 9, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #14 of 39
Headbox II is better amp than Headbox II SE, different opamp in there, higher-class sound. It works very well with SEnn580-650 series, AKG K601 headphones. Also, there's a hint that can improve the sound considerably: by default, there's two 470uF caps in the output stage. Swap them with good brand 1000uf pair and you'll like the results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back