Cheap clarity
Oct 1, 2010 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

shotgunshane

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm new to posting on the site but have been reading for a while.  I'm looking to find some budget IEM's that are strong in clarity and detail.

My background is with cheaper IEM's that have a mid bass hump and very little treble extension.  Right now I am using a pair of old Sony Fontopia IEM's when I mow my 2 acres with an iPod nano 2g.  The Sony's have bad treble roll off, a big mid bass hump and little bass extension.  I assume this is the sound of MOST budget IEMs.  It is not offensive, somewhat pleasant and easy to listen too but mostly boring.

I intend to continue to use these for mowing (dirty!) but want something better for everyday listening.  I mostly listen to classic rock, 80's rock and metal and what I call Sleaze Rock.  Think Zakk Wylde, Buckcherry, Brides of Destruction or Corrosion of Conformity.  Recently I orderd a pair of Soundmagic PL30's.  My reason for ordering these is due to Joker's review on soundstage.  I'm intrigued by a wide soundstage.  I've never heard one before in an IEM.  I expect these to be a learning IEM to help me figure out what I ultimately want.

Of course I've read all the accolades of the RE0, which I refuse to buy due to quality issues I've read about here.  But basically I'm interested in what these have to offer with better build quality.  Phonak PFE's sound intriguing but I'm not willing to spend over $100 at this time.  Maybe after getting my feet wet in something else will help convince me to move up in price range.  Right now I'm looking at anything under about $89.

IEM's are much harder to figure out compared to regular home theater/stereo/floor standing speakers.  Sonus Faber all the way!

Oct 1, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 19
If you want something with great build quality and an analytical signature for under $100, why not consider the Etymotic MC5's? They sound like what you are looking for, though you may have to get used to the deep insertion. I can say that the build quality really is fantastic full stop (not just for the price.) Isolation is absolutely terrific, so that you may even be able to block out the sound of your mower!

You can read my review in my signature comparing them to the RE0's. 

Oct 1, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #3 of 19
I've read the reviews on these and am interested but the insertion issues concern me.  My right ear seems to have no problem with any type of IEM but my left is another story.  The easiest of IEM seems to become an issue with falling out of this ear.  Maybe its just an issue of finding the right tip?  Damn my left ear!

FYI, my sources will be exclusively apple products with my laptop being the exception.

Oct 1, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #4 of 19
RE-ZERO, ER-6i, Diddy beats, V-Moda Remix,  MC5, S4 and EX500........

Oct 5, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #8 of 19
m1- freakin great for the price... on sale to

Oct 6, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #11 of 19

Quote:
The OP doesn't want them due to quality issues. I bought some from head-direct for $80 though, and thought they were good. 

In that case I think the op is asking too much with too little a budget. RE0 is my reccomendation based on personal experience. If not one of the Etymotics work well, but not as good as the RE0 IMO in the same budget range.

Oct 6, 2010 at 3:42 AM Post #12 of 19

Quote:
In that case I think the op is asking too much with too little a budget. RE0 is my reccomendation based on personal experience. If not one of the Etymotics work well, but not as good as the RE0 IMO in the same budget range.

I agree, I think the RE0 at $80 is a steal. I never had any build/quality issue. I really was extra careful with them though. 

Oct 6, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #13 of 19
The Hippo Shroom EBs offer a lot of clarity for 57 shipped.  They build is even less confidence inspiring than the RE0 but I haven't any issues although I haven't used them for long.  I think most of the build issues with the RE0 have been fixed with the current revision.  Don't think you can get better build quality and the same sound in that price range.

Oct 6, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #14 of 19
I'm an Ety cheerleader, so am moving my pom poms to that tune.

Oct 6, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #15 of 19
I don't think I'm asking for too much.  I just wanted some direction on IEMs that are known for clarity for less than $85 or so.  I'm not looking for perfect phones, just a different sound signature but all the reading on RE0's on here has me worried about quality.  If some of you guys have the latest gen and no problems after a few months, I'd definitely like to hear.  I can always reconsider.

The M1's and Phonak Perfect Bass interest me.  However on the Phonaks I wonder if the green filter produces too much bass and takes away too much of the PFE's clarity?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back