Cheap Amp for Grado SR60
Aug 1, 2006 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

GlorytheWiz825

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys,

I am very new to the world of amps. I'm looking for a very cheap amp I could use with my Grado SR60. Any recommendations, along with a general price range, would be very helpful. Thanks!

Aug 1, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #2 of 9
Need one that works with the low impedance of the Grado.

Check on the $200 Xian Sheng 708 B (click on the link below in my signature) for a tube amp.

Other good solid state amps are available for Grados as others here will inform you.

Aug 1, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #3 of 9
if I were you, i might consider just saving up a bit longer and using the money towards other headphones (e.g. SR-225) and an amp at that point. I can't say firsthand (sorry), but the SR-60s might not benefit as much from a cheap amp, as opposed to using those potential funds later.

You might want to define your budget so people know what to suggest.

You can look for various mint amps (cmoy's, META's, PINT's), as they tend to be reasonably priced ($30-$150 depending on model, age, features, etc), especially in the FS forum.

Aug 1, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #4 of 9
I've been really happy with my $60 PA2V2 paired with SR60's. I got it as my first step into the amp world, I had never used one before and wanted to see if it was worth the fuss; it definitely is. Unlike most people, I don't use it as a portable amp. I just plug it into the line-out on my home receiever as my permanent set up. It helps to smooth out the Grados and make them more dynamic; they integrate together very well. Check out www.electric-avenues.com if you want to see more.

Aug 2, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #5 of 9
How about a Little Dot Micro+

Aug 2, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFaust
How about a Little Dot Micro+

I'm currently listening to a FLAC encode of the Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs Gold CD of Dark Side of the Moon on this setup:

iRiver H120 > Little Dot Micro+ > Alessandro MS-1 w/Grado bowls

It sounds pretty phenomenal as far as I'm concerned. I think a LDM+/SR-60 coupling would be pretty enjoyable. The LDM+ runs about $60.

Aug 2, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #7 of 9
CHA-47

Users who are viewing this thread

Back