Cheap amp for a fischer audio FA-011
Jul 16, 2012 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gamerfry

Head-Fier
I recently acquired a pair of Fischer Audio FA-011's and purchased an Asus xonar dgx for a cheap dac/amp that also had dolby headphone for gaming. I'm now looking for another amp to add between my xonar and the FA-011 to improve the sound quality further. I don't want to have a standalone amp and dac though. What would be a good cheap amp for this purpose. Someone recommended this (http://www.ecrater.com/p/12584002/muse-class-a-6n11-tube-headphone?gps=1) to me before and I wasn't to sure. Thanks!

Jul 16, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
I recently acquired a pair of Fischer Audio FA-011's and purchased an Asus xonar dgx for a cheap dac/amp that also had dolby headphone for gaming. I'm now looking for another amp to add between my xonar and the FA-011 to improve the sound quality further. I don't want to have a standalone amp and dac though. What would be a good cheap amp for this purpose. Someone recommended this (http://www.ecrater.com/p/12584002/muse-class-a-6n11-tube-headphone?gps=1) to me before and I wasn't to sure. Thanks!

I could see recommending that headphone amplifier at only $56.
But the seller has too much negative feedback.
The same tube amp. is sold on Amazon.
Also on ebay, do a search for "tube headphone amplifier", lots of brands.

These amplifiers perform better when the voltage is fine tuned and balanced.
A low cost Digital Milli-meter (DT830) and a small Philipshead screwdrivers will do the job.
Check the website Rockgrotto, the headphone subsection in their forum, has good info on these amps.

If the future, you can swap out the DG for the DX or D1 (better DAC)

Jul 16, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #3 of 6
Do you think it might be better to simply put that money towards a better pair of phones instead of to an amp? Also how would realistic would it be for me to just build my own tube amp?

Jul 17, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Do you think it might be better to simply put that money towards a better pair of phones instead of to an amp? Also how would realistic would it be for me to just build my own tube amp?

The Fischer FA-011 seems to be well liked by their owners.
you might have to spend a bit more then you've planned to really improve over the FA-011.
I do like the idea of those single tube headphone amplifiers (I've bought two, Indeed & Muse)
I'm really not the one to advise on build your own, think it's just easier to buy the pre-built tube amps.

Jul 17, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
The Fischer FA-011 seems to be well liked by their owners.
you might have to spend a bit more then you've planned to really improve over the FA-011.
I do like the idea of those single tube headphone amplifiers (I've bought two, Indeed & Muse)
I'm really not the one to advise on build your own, think it's just easier to buy the pre-built tube amps.

I was thinking mr. speaker's mad dog modded fostex. They're only 265 and are supposed to be comparable to the lcd-2. Which would you recommend of the two you purchased?

Jul 20, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #6 of 6
Hi there! 

From my experience the FA-011 won't improve much with amplification. the pair I owned I didn't like because they had so much bloat in their bass. Your sound card is ok at this point, but if you're really into your PC rig, you may want to upgrade that next. If you're ok with buying something used, ebay has a few that are at good prices. I'd look for the Asus Xonar, especially ST or STX. 

The 'mad dog' headpones haven't been fully tested yet, so I'd wait on those for now. A lot of initial reviews are people just excited to get a new product, and aren't critical. Over time, we'll see how they fit. 

He's bringing some to a meet in LA in a month. I'd keep my eyes on the impressions from that. I'll be there and they are on my 'to listen' list. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/602807/2012-headphone-meet-lax-hilton-saturday-august-18-2012-official-thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back