Cheap-A$$ ACER did not come with Windows CD or Restore CD
Jul 21, 2010 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Jon L

For him, f/1.2 is a prime number
Bought a new Acer laptop, and it came without ANY CD's.  No Wndows 7 CD, no restore CD, nothing!  Doing a quick search, and apparently Acer has not been shipping any CD's for some time now and expects you to burn your own restore disks.

But I really want that Windows 7 OS disk.  What do I do? 

Jul 21, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #2 of 17
That's become the standard unfortunately. And even if you did have the Windows 7 disk you're only licensed to install it on the machine it came with.

Jul 21, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #3 of 17
There is probably a software utility on your laptop to create your own restore discs (image of OS + drivers + apps for your specific PC) from writeable DVD's or CD's. But I haven't seen a base Windows OS disc included in a PC package for a long time. That'll cost ya.

Jul 21, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 17
Well, in Acer's defense, there is no retail version of the operating system that you have on your computer. Manufacturers use Windows 7 Starter for computers purchased through retail stores, it's basically a barebones version of Windows 7 that limits upgrades, maximum memory and something else that I can't remember. If need be, you can always upgrade to a different version of Windows 7 for a discounted price via a Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade (I'd recommend buying a real full version as you do not have the CD for the OS you currently have installed)-- but to be honest, for the average computer user who just wants to browse the web, do some typing, shopping, banking and movie watching, you probably don't need an upgrade.

For running a business (w/ highly sensitive information), heavy gamers or someone who just likes tweeking computers, an upgrade will probably be worth it.

Jul 21, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #5 of 17
Yeah, I too haven't seen a Windows OS disc packaged with the computer for a long time, and I'm rather used to burning my own restore discs with the program pre-installed on almost all computers these days that I never noticed those aren't packaged with the computer anymore either.

Jul 21, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #6 of 17
Yup, pretty standard. If you need to reinstall just download a retail disk off the web, although for activation, you will have to do it over the phone.

Jul 22, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #7 of 17
So I gave in and made the recovery disks.  I had already purged included junkware and installed a few essentials like Msft Office and Nero, and I had to burn FIVE DVD's!  4 for OS/system and 1 for apps/drivers.  What a royal pain, as it took forever and used up 5 blank DVD's.

Jul 22, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #9 of 17
JonL:

Which specific Acer did you purchase?

I am going to buy the Acer Aspire AS7551G-5821 and I plan on creating the recovery DVDs and CDs immediately upon receiving it early next month.

Thanks.

Jul 22, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #10 of 17
Just get a windows 7 retail disc, even if i would get a laptop with win 7 on it i will reformat it again with a clean install ... i dont want any bloatware that came with the store or the manufacturer 

Jul 22, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #11 of 17
Jul 22, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #13 of 17
Well, I've got a Toshiba (single core) and a Dell (core 2 duo) side by side.  Had a Vaio also, which was always breaking down.

This Acer's construction is at least as good as Tosh and Dell, but who knows how the internals are built.  My philosophy is to buy these things on sale and use the heck out of them for 2-3 years.  Anything beyond that is bonus..

Jul 22, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #14 of 17
Thats a nice price for that laptop. Regarding OS disks, the last one I got was with a Dell laptop several years back, since then I've purchased 5 laptops for family all different brands and none of them have come with a OS disc.

The absolute worst was the Compaq, whose own Restore Disc creation software refused to identify the cd/dvd drive in the laptop (brand new!!!!). Any number of times I tried with driver updates or anything else didnt work and tech support was a complete FAIL. They asked us to pay money to get them to ship us restore discs. Hell no! I took a chance and haven't had the need to do a restore on it for 3 years and its starting to fail slowly anyway. But never again!

Sony was ok, the software did a decent job of telling us what was needed and did a quick job of it.

Toshiba was the best, the restore process (I had to use it once cos of a virus) was super quick and easy and the machine was back to new after that. Least bloatware among the lot as well if I remember correctly.

Jul 27, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
The absolute worst was the Compaq, whose own Restore Disc creation software refused to identify the cd/dvd drive in the laptop (brand new!!!!).

HP/Compaq has terrible support in my experience. I interned with a company that used and deployed HP products to their clients and their support was a joke. The only way to get them to do ANYTHING was to threaten to take millions of dollars/year worth of business from them. Even then they screwed some things up badly and mishandled extended warranty agreements. 

Real example: Critical server fails for a client. They have an extended warranty with same day service, we have proof on paper. HP: "You don't have such a thing! We'll plan on sending out a new motherboard sometime next week, that'll be $400 please." It took another hour to convince them that the machine indeed DID have the warranty and they made it two days instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back