Changing HD25-1 II Cable Colour?
Jun 16, 2011 at 3:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Synergy Sound

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I recently purchased a set of HD25-1 II's and I want to know what method would be best for changing the cable colour. I don't really want to recable, I only want to change the colour (at this stage anyway). I want to redden the portion shown below. Do I just need cable sleeving? Or do I actually need to recable it? I would appreciate any help, thanks.

Thanks to IjokerI's portable comparison for the picture.

Note: I wasn't sure whether to post this in the portable or cable forum, I apologize if this is the wrong forum.

Jun 16, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #2 of 10
My advice: You see the red cable going into a black housing with some screws? Unscrew it, take the cable out, mark a spot betweenwhere the cable goes into the housing and where it comes out (basically a spot hidden inside the housing, where the cable splits into 2). Then use some sleeving, maybe some heatshrink tubing to get that clean Monster Cable look (warning: it will stiffen), get it over the plug and up to the marked spot. If it's nylon/techflex, use some heatshrink to make it stick to that point. On the other end cut it just a bit before the plug and again, heatshrink between the plug and the end of the nylon/techflex. This might have been the most confusing thing I've wrote, so if you don't get it let me know and I'll make a drawing. And it's really easy, no recable needed.

Jun 16, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks LizardKing, your suggestion would be much easier than recabling. I just have one question though, what size cable sleeving/heatshrink do you think would be best? I would imagine 3mm (which has a maximum stretch diameter of 6mm) but will that be too difficult to fit over the right angled jack?

Jun 16, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
Thanks LizardKing, your suggestion would be much easier than recabling. I just have one question though, what size cable sleeving/heatshrink do you think would be best? I would imagine 3mm (which has a maximum stretch diameter of 6mm) but will that be too difficult to fit over the right angled jack?

Cable is detachable, stretch it on from the other side.

Jun 16, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #6 of 10
No, the connectors pull out of the cups individually. That red thing atop the right earcup is the connector. The other channel threads through the headband and is attached to the left earcup in a similar manner.

Jun 16, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #7 of 10
I understand that, but don't I have to stretch the sleeving over both connectors that way? Hence decable the whole headphone? That's why I thought I had to pull the sleeve over the jack to avoid decabling everything.

Jun 16, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
I understand that, but don't I have to stretch the sleeving over both connectors that way? Hence decable the whole headphone? That's why I thought I had to pull the sleeve over the jack to avoid decabling everything.

In a way... but it's not like the HD25 requires any soldering to take off the cable. The plug is pretty beefy so I don't think 3mm sleeving will fit.

Jun 20, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #10 of 10
I bought some nylon sleeve here and use it around the original cable. use this method (its what joker described)  its fairly easy. in my case I refinish it with a different plug and shortened the cable, but thats not necessary.

but the cable was too stiffy so i removed it later. that red sleeve is stiffy but the black on was better, no use to re-sleeve in black tho. look around and find a better sleeve, perhaps techflex nylon multifilament or cotton.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back