Change or disable LED on Woo Audio WA3
May 24, 2011 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

0rangutan

500+ Head-Fier
Can anyone advise how I go about disabling or replacing the blue LED from my WA3?

I have some very basic DIY experience, but would appreciate any available guidance before I take my amp apart.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

May 24, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #2 of 13
Which LED?  The little one on the front of the amp?

It's incredibly easy to "disable" that LED, just cut one of the leads going to it.
If you want to replace it, it's again just as easy as buying the LED you'd like and wire it using the same wires.

My only concern is that it's a high voltage tube amp so you have to make sure not to touch anything inside (especially those electrolytic capacitors) at the risk of frying yourself (sounds funny, hurts like hell, might kill you).

May 24, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #3 of 13
My post was totally off here. Sorry. 

always observe good HV safety.... I dont know where on the Woo3 what kinds of voltages are hanging out so keep an eye out for yourself. 

Anyways: I'd try to find pics of the inside of the amp that detail how the LED is secured. If its glued in your in for a rough bit of work. If its held in by friction find out what size it is, and replace it and its resistor (if you even need to replace the resistor).

May 25, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #4 of 13
Errrr.. Is it just annoying you or something?

Have you considered putting some tape over it?
Painter's tape shouldn't leave any residue and should do the job.

Wouldn't want to decrease the resale value of the amp...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QDPZ0G/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=arts-crafts&psc=1

May 25, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #6 of 13
As previously stated, it's advisable to be very careful opening up high-voltage equipment. Any large capacitors can hold a high voltage which can be retained for some time (i.e. hours in some cases). I understand just touching the top of a high voltage electrolytic capacitor can result in a shock.

Again, in principle it's easy to swap a LED - if it's a standard one it's literally just a case of swapping it out. However, the way it's mounted or connected to the board can make things trickier. It might be worth e-mailing Woo to get their thoughts on it (small audio electronics companies are sometimes more open to customers doing things like this), though they may simply say any such modifications will void the warranty.

May 25, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #7 of 13
I dont like blue LED's either. 

I think its suppressed resentment for my knowledge that I will never be cool enough, or make anything cool enough, to warrant such a power indicator. 

In reality they just bother me. Painter's tape or a post-it(r) note FTW.

May 25, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #8 of 13
I always go with red LEDs personally. I find the blue LEDS are too bright and 'intrusive'. I just need a subtle, passive, status indicator - not a bright, distracting, neon sign!
biggrin.gif

May 25, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #11 of 13
I have a cheap Chinese tube amp for my bedroom set up that also has a blue led for power on indicator. With the lights off this thing acts as a high power flashlight that my wife doesn't appreciate. My fix was to unbend a large paper clip and push the led into the case a bit...maybe a 16th of an inch. They are normaly mounted up from the circuit board and shouldn't come into contact with any other components as long as you don't push it in too far. I never understood why they put these indicators on the amp...the tube glow tells me it's on. Of course the best thing is to take it apart and confirm this can be done...but since your in there you can just clip one of the leads and to restore it, you just solder it back together.

May 25, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #12 of 13
Thanks all.

tjohnusa - your summary is about right.

The light is too bright and visually obtrusive.  It is also completely unnecessary as the tubes glow rather nicely once powered up anyway.

Will take a look inside, noting the precautions re. shocks and see how easy it would be to move it or cut it.  Failing that, black tape it is.

Jun 3, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #13 of 13
Open it up after having it turned off for a few hours, snip one of the LED's legs and bend it away so it's not touching anything .  If you want to resell it just solder it back together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back