Chaintech AV-710 Setup Thread, Including True 44.1kHz Wolfson Output in XP
Oct 5, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #421 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think you can use the black high quality plug in 6ch mode. Try the green one- the SQ won't be nearly as good though.

yes i tried all the other jacks but I was not getting any audio from the front 2 speakers, any ideas anyone? or does it seem like a faulty card?

Oct 6, 2009 at 10:59 AM Post #424 of 512
Nov 6, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #427 of 512
bump for awesomeness!

Nov 6, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #428 of 512
Thanks for the info and the links! I couldn't figure out my driver issue, and I was having a lot of trouble finding previous drivers to test out. Looks like the OP solved that for me.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, and my system thought I didn't have a default sound device (though Foobar worked fine). Every time I tried to launch a game the Windows sound service would reset. Works fine now.

Nov 21, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #429 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by zzbloopzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For Step 4, I would recommend to right click Setup.exe and select "Run as Administrator". This is important for Vista/W7.

I had issues on Step 9. I did not get the "There will be two drivers in the next screen one with and without "64 bits" under the model field." part. Instead it said that my existing drivers installed are fine which were the 5.40a.

To correct it, after the "Browse my computer for driver software" section I had to select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" at the bottom. Then click "Have Disk..." and navigate to the folder Drive:Envy24_Family_64 Bit Drivers_V460b\Envy24_Family_64 Bit Drivers_V460b\Drivers\AMD64 and select "Envy24HF". Now it shows the two items with 64 bits at the end. I selected the first one then it installed.

I am using a fresh install of a genuine Windows 7 x64 RTM.

im running 32 bit and i ran into the same problem i had to choose the have disk option but mine doesnt work when i select "Envy24HF" i get an error

"The folder you specified doesnt contain a compatible software driver for your device"

can anyone help
frown.gif
?

Nov 28, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #430 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=small]Windows XP 32-bit[/size]

This is the guide to use if you're interested in getting true 44.1 kHz audio from the Wolfson DAC rather than using inferior and processor-intensive software resampling algorithms to upsample.

1. Install the card into a free PCI slot on the motherboard.
2. Plug your amplification device (ex. speakers, receiver, etc.) into the black "Back Surr" jack on the back of the card next to the optical output. [Previous card revision: "Alt. Out"]
3. Download the Envy 24 Family Driver version 4.73b linked here and install it using Setup.exe (Application) in the Setup directory. This version is the last one to support the following trick:
4. Once the drivers are installed, open up the Envy control panel using its tray icon on the taskbar.
5. Click 2CH if it's not already selected (not 2CH Hi-Sample Rate).
6. Go into the digital output section and enable S/PDIF output, selecting PCM as the sub-option. Click the Auto button under sampling rate.

Done! You'll now be capable of using Kernel Streaming in Foobar to directly send 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz audio content through your sound card's Wolfson DAC.

----------

I just found a Chaintech and am researching what I will need to set up while I wait for delivery.Up until now I've managed to avoid learning the ins and outs of PC audio by using a Squeezebox. Are the above instructions all there is. I thought one also needed to install Asio4all and Foobar, neither of which I know anything about (except that I recall reading that these are necessary). I've also heard that Winamp will also do the job instead of Foobar. Can anyone tell me something about these prerequisites (if they are indeed prerequisites) or point me to a thread that will fill me in?

Thanx for any help you can give.
icon10.gif

Dec 7, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #431 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by khrono /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im running 32 bit and i ran into the same problem i had to choose the have disk option but mine doesnt work when i select "Envy24HF" i get an error

"The folder you specified doesnt contain a compatible software driver for your device"

can anyone help
frown.gif
?

If your are using Windows 7 32, in the 6 step,try with this driver "473b" http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/Envy2...ller_v473b.zip.
Others steps that work to me is: In Foobar use the resampler plugin in 44.100 and output at 16-bit and in the audio deck. PCM only and auto sample.

Dec 7, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #432 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sokichi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your are using Windows 7 32, in the 6 step,try with this driver "473b" http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/Envy2...ller_v473b.zip.
Others steps that work to me is: In Foobar use the resampler plugin in 44.100 and output at 16-bit and in the audio deck. PCM only and auto sample.

Just came to post this, on Windows 7 32-bit you can't use the 64-bit drivers linked in step 6. You should use the XP 32-bit v473b driver (this driver is linked in the "Windows XP 32-bit section").

I'll send a PM to the OP to see if he can update the 32-bit instructions. (edit: PM sent)

Sokichi, why are you using the resampler plug-in? Leaving "Auto" bitrate selected in Audio Deck works fine for me, is there another reason?

Dec 12, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #434 of 512
I don't have a chaintech but a fortissimo IV (envy24 too).
I'm using win7 64 and installed everything, foobar with wasapi works just fine, same thing when I try to watch a movie but if I'm using foobar and launch a movie at the same time the computer acts like I don't have a sound card installed anymore...
Is there a solution to this?
It worked fine when I was using the onboard audio (acl888).
Speaking of the onboard audio is there any difference compared with the soundcard or could I just use the onboard? (optical to zero dac)

Dec 13, 2009 at 10:48 AM Post #435 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazz9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have a chaintech but a fortissimo IV (envy24 too).
I'm using win7 64 and installed everything, foobar with wasapi works just fine, same thing when I try to watch a movie but if I'm using foobar and launch a movie at the same time the computer acts like I don't have a sound card installed anymore...
Is there a solution to this?
It worked fine when I was using the onboard audio (acl888).
Speaking of the onboard audio is there any difference compared with the soundcard or could I just use the onboard? (optical to zero dac)

u might have to set your default playback device to the fortissimo IV

when i installed my 0404 usb, i had the same exact prblem, then realized that thedefault playback device was set on "spidf out," had to change it back to 0404

Users who are viewing this thread

Back