Chaintech AV-710 Setup Thread, Including True 44.1kHz Wolfson Output in XP
Aug 12, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #391 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=small]Windows Vista 64-bit and Windows 7[/size]

1. Install the card into a free PCI slot on the motherboard.
2. Plug your amplification device (ex. speakers, receiver, etc.) into the black "Back Surr" jack on the back of the card next to the optical output. [Previous card revision: "Alt. Out"]
3. Download the Envy24 Audio Controller Family Driver version 5.40a linked here.
4. Use Windows XP compatibility mode to install it using Setup.exe (Application) in the Setup directory.
5. Restart the computer.
6. Open Device Manager (Windows key + Pause Break -> Hardware -> Device Manager), find the sound card, and manually update it to the 4.60b XP64 driver.
7. Restart the computer again.
8. Once the drivers are installed, open the audio control panel using its tray icon on the taskbar.
9. Enable 2CH (not High Quality mode) by clicking the appropriate circle.
10. In Foobar, select WASAPI (envy24 speakers) as the output device.

Does this still apply? ~ I did a bit of a system clean up today (Vista 64) and reinstalled my soundcard drivers according to this and they don't work? Installing just the soundcard drivers works for my computer speakers however once I install Audio Deck for optical out (for the DAC) the computer speakers no longer work... under sounds they are set as default and the audio bar is showing audio is playing but I'm not hearing anything.

Also there is no WASAPI setting in foobar, is this something else?

Current settings:

*UPDATE: I ticked 'Hi sample rate digital output' (192k Hz) in Audio deck and now the sound is coming out both my speakers and my DAC... that can't be right can it?

Aug 13, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #392 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does this still apply? ~ I did a bit of a system clean up today (Vista 64) and reinstalled my soundcard drivers according to this and they don't work? Installing just the soundcard drivers works for my computer speakers however once I install Audio Deck for optical out (for the DAC) the computer speakers no longer work... under sounds they are set as default and the audio bar is showing audio is playing but I'm not hearing anything.

Also there is no WASAPI setting in foobar, is this something else?

Current settings:

*UPDATE: I ticked 'Hi sample rate digital output' (192k Hz) in Audio deck and now the sound is coming out both my speakers and my DAC... that can't be right can it?

read the post before yours.. the vista drivers have to be installed in vista sp2 compatibility mode if you use windows 7 (not XP compatibility mode)

Once you have installed the vista drivers and 'updated' to the XP64 ones, you will see 44.1 and 48khz options instead of 192. Select 44.1 and use wasapi, and it will be bit perfect.

also WASAPI is a separate addition to foobar that you download from the foobar website

Aug 13, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #393 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by oohms /img/forum/go_quote.gif
read the post before yours.. the vista drivers have to be installed in vista sp2 compatibility mode if you use windows 7 (not XP compatibility mode)

I am using Vista so no problems with the install

Quote:

Once you have installed the vista drivers and 'updated' to the XP64 ones, you will see 44.1 and 48khz options instead of 192. Select 44.1 and use wasapi, and it will be bit perfect.

I installed the 64 one right off the bat, I tried to update with this and it said I was already using the most up-to-date driver.

Quote:

also WASAPI is a separate addition to foobar that you download from the foobar website

Right I think I'll skip WASAPI and use Kernel streaming if I can.

Aug 14, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #395 of 512
I'm using x64 Windows 7 RC build 7100 and can't even install 5.40a using compatibility mode (I've tried every version of Windows >= XP SP2). It's the installer that's failing with the error Quote:

Sorry, the install wizard can't find the proper component for the current platform. Please press OK to terminate the install wizard.

Windows Update did install a driver for AV710 but it doesn't come with the control panel to change the output method. Maybe there is another way to get the Wolfson DAC output using the driver provided by Windows Update?

Aug 18, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #396 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I installed the 64 one right off the bat, I tried to update with this and it said I was already using the most up-to-date driver.

same issue here using vista 64, won't let me update since 5.40a is more current than 4.60b

Aug 18, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #397 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by deusofhearts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
same issue here using vista 64, won't let me update since 5.40a is more current than 4.60b

Yeah it's still not perfect here; I installed the vista 64 driver and just left it at that, I have audio deck installed but it only works when I set high sample rate. Oddly enough sound comes out of my DAC and speakers simutaniously when I set the foobar output to speakers, when I set the output to digital it only comes out of my DAC and websites like Youtube with flash audio refuse to play... I'm not sure whats going on so I've just left it for now.

Aug 31, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #398 of 512
You have to select "Let me browse my own files" or something to be able to select the driver file. I think it's "Have Disk..."

When I install the xp64 drivers on Windows 7 I don't get the option for WASAPI: SPDIF anymore in Foobar. I just get WASAPI: Speakers. Any ideas?

Sep 1, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #399 of 512
Using Win7 x64 RTM and followed the instructions in the first post. Works fine.

Only problem is I must leave the setting to Auto in the audio deck. Won't work on 44.1 strangely (gives me endpoint errors in foobar). I have no idea if it is working through the wolfson on auto mode, 2 channels.

EDIT: Step 6 is not very descriptive.
a) Download & extract (you may need a compression program, I used 7zip) the 4.60b XP64 drivers.
b) In device manager, under "Sound, video and game controllers", find the "Envy24 Family controller", right click, properties.
c) Go to the "Driver" tab, click "Update Driver"
d) Click "Browse my computer for driver software", browse to the location where you extracted the 4.60b XP64 drivers in step 6a.
e) There will be two drivers in the next screen one with and without "64 bits" under the model field. (Info: the non "64 bits" version is actually the current driver 5.40a you installed in step 4, the "64 bits" version is the one you just browsed for in step 6d).
f) It will ask you if you want to continue, hit yes and keep going; proceed to step 7.

Hope this helps all of you with install problems in Windows 7 x64.

Also, after you reboot, the WASPI field in the foobar output dropdown will appear (make sure you set the right one).

Sep 4, 2009 at 9:18 AM Post #401 of 512
I'm on windows 7 x64 and I followed all the steps in the OP and on the last couple of pages, however I am not getting sound out of the black port next to the optical port. I can only get sound from the green port.

Edit: I got it working! Here is an updated screenshot:

Sep 8, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #404 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
boskono, do any of the instructions need to be changed or clarified?

Adding what takt said would be helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back